peak drivers not working

New guy

Hello all, I'm new to this site as well as to UPS. I along w/others are new hire feeder drivers at Cach & have been surprised to only work 3 or 4 days p/wk during peak & it's not looking good this week either being Xmas week. Is this normal practice to leave full time guys home during peak season & does it get worse after peak (or, actually how bad is the ? ) I was thinking of getting a p/t driving job to fill in the days off but w/being on call daily I don't see how I could do that. Thanks guys & gals & Merry Xmas to all.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Sounds like you're under Local 710 jurisdiction. Generally speaking, yes, you can expect some lean times at the bottom of the on-call board. Talk to your fellow 710 drivers, especially the low seniority ones. Figure out the system, the angles you can work. For example, if there are a bunch of Mon-Thurs bids on the regular board, I would guess you're more likely to work on Fri-Sat. If you are willing to work out of another building nearby, make sure management knows that. If the vacation bids are posted, look at those and do some math. If there are are 30 drivers scheduled off and you are #25 on the on-call board, expect to work; if you're #40, it doesn't look good.

As far as the contractors, read what the 710 union contract says about it. I know what I've heard, but haven't read it myself so I'm not going to comment.

Make sure you understand how and if your benefits are covered. Talk to the union stewards/business agent. Hopefully there is an arrangement to maintain coverage.

New guy

Thanks hondo, I've done some of that short of asking to work out of another bldg. I'll keep my fingers crossed & hope that things improve as the contractors leave & sleeper teams come back on board. Merry Christmas to you & your family.
And Merry Christmas to the rest of you too.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yes I did : ) I know it's tough now but as time moves along it should get better. Just annoying to sit home during peak.
The way I hear it....things are slow. I would ask about volunteering to work tomorrow, Friday and Saturday. As I understand it....They had sign up sheets posted for those days.