Peak @ FedeX

DS

Fenderbender
I'm just curious how much residential volume increases for you guys,compared to ups.Most of the year in my area,it's divided about 33% resi,commercial,industrial.
During peak,the resi's almost triple.Internet shopping is huge now,and if not for driver release (no sig req) pkgs,I'd be dead in the snow.I see my buddy (the FedeX guy) relaxing and taking his break at 1145AM and I still have a full truck.
I have to hold most resis to get lunch(2-3pm )in order to have no missed,and do them at 6:30 pm in the dark.How does it work over there?

FedExer267

Last year they kicked home delivery over to ground in my center twice. The result for me was 140 one day 125 the next, the rest of peak I ran about 110 a day. Resi picks up a little bit for Ground but mostly goes HD which is why they have Temps. I have 14 diffrent UPS Guys in the area that I cover saw one of them today he told me he had around 240 stops. I had 95 stops today which is a regular day for me. Last year I think my peak was all of 2 days. Not sure how much busier Express gets any takers

FedEx2000

Seems to be picking up already, most of my driver's in resi areas are going out with about 20-30 P1's and 80-100 P2 right now. We double utilize most of their trucks for PM routes, so they are usually in by 15:00 or so. They can take their lunch break whenever it fits in, most take it right after finishing P1 or when they know they will be OK on SO service....their breaks are planned within a certain window, but if they are hitting their SPH and not having lates, I don't care when they take it.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
We got hit hard today I guess because of Cyber Mon. I went out with 105 total. Usually go out with about 90. More resis. on the "rich" side of town than normal. But, no commit times on anything because we had super late frt. today. Didn't leave the building until 1.5 hrs. later than usual. Gonna be nice making O.T. in the dark. I'm talking Eggspress here.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We got hit hard today I guess because of Cyber Mon. I went out with 105 total. Usually go out with about 90. More resis. on the "rich" side of town than normal. But, no commit times on anything because we had super late frt. today. Didn't leave the building until 1.5 hrs. later than usual. Gonna be nice making O.T. in the dark. I'm talking Eggspress here.

We were slammed and had late freight as well. Probably about 20 stops over "normal", which is already well over 195's. Not a good time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a ball today. 192 stops, 567 pkgs, 28 pickups, 127 pkgs, 56 miles. Used my helper for 4.99 hours and was punched out by 1825. Would have been gone by 1810 but we are in the middle of a Keter audit and I was asked to meet with an auditor to test my DOK knowledge. 17 days left.

bbsam

Staff member
Our terminal is a co-location (Ground and Home Delivery). Last year our busiest day on HD was 3800 pieces. Today we did slightly less than 4000 pieces. It's gonna be a long, long 24 days.

FedExer267

Home delivery was slammed today on their side of the building and my Resi picked up as well but my business was dead. I ended up with 100 stops 264 pieces and 20 pickups 172 pieces punched out at 1645.

FedEx2000

I had a ball today. 192 stops, 567 pkgs, 28 pickups, 127 pkgs, 56 miles. Used my helper for 4.99 hours and was punched out by 1825. Would have been gone by 1810 but we are in the middle of a Keter audit and I was asked to meet with an auditor to test my DOK knowledge. 17 days left.

Hey MFE, still think you deserve UPS pay? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for higher pay for hourly employees within reason, but there isn't a driver in Express that is doing numbers like this, due to various reasons....volume/density/miles/etc.

SmithBarney

Lets see... Del 45stops 160miles ~ 5.5hours 2 hour forced lunch (due to DOT hours, started at 630)
Pickup, 10 stops, from 3-6(had a 50mile drive to area)
Pretty much a cake walk... not so much for the rest of the CRR's

Today, still on lunch...(since 1130)
23 DEL, start Pickups at 3ish.

Express is severely understaffed for PEAK, ramp already has less than half of what they need, and
they are forcasting 1.5 - 2 hour delays for all of peak. We have 6 Cartage agents lined up for Peak Week.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Worked 11.5 hrs. yesterday. Looking at maybe 10 hrs. today.
We're short at least 4 drivers. There's no hlp. out there and that's fine with me. I need the OT real bad and we all know what's gonna happen the 26th.

Jack_Burton

Volume is way up compared to this time last year. The hubs and ramps are so severely understaffed that we've been getting late freight of at least an hour everyday for the past couple of weeks. If they think it's bad now, what's it going to be like in a couple more weeks and when the weather starts to take a turn for the worst? I worked twelve hours and fifty minutes yesterday and eleven today.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey MFE, still think you deserve UPS pay? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for higher pay for hourly employees within reason, but there isn't a driver in Express that is doing numbers like this, due to various reasons....volume/density/miles/etc.

Ask the local FedEx courier where UpState works how many ZIP codes he covers. Typically, there are 3 or 4 UPS drivers within a FedEx courier's route area. You should probably know that and modify your very biased stance accordingly. In other words, get a clue.

bbsam

Staff member
Not true. We have a Ground driver who does it every day.

quadro

Ask the local FedEx courier where UpState works how many ZIP codes he covers. Typically, there are 3 or 4 UPS drivers within a FedEx courier's route area. You should probably know that and modify your very biased stance accordingly. In other words, get a clue.
I think you're proving his point for him. The UPS driver does more physical labor, the FedEx driver does more driving.

vantexan

Our mgr took a vote this morning and starting tomorrow thru peak we are starting at regular time and sort freight from first truck. If 2nd truck, which comes from another ramp, is late we take our break. Will mean long hrs between end of break and clock out, but majority of couriers felt it was better than calling in, starting later, and trying to squeeze a break in.

As far as what we deserve, I believe he did have a helper for awhile. I wouldn't want to work a rt that heavy but this argument is misleading. I bet the vast majority of couriers don't expect UPS pay but they do feel they deserve better than they are getting. FedEx structures freight to be as productive as possible. FedEx couriers aren't sitting by the side of the road waiting 20 mins between oncalls with nothing else to do. It's constant motion, all day every day. Yes some rts are easier than others but by and large we earn every penny. How about rewarding people for their efforts or are we now considering stripped benefits and subpar pay being rewarded? A good start would be to top people out after a reasonable amount of time and not raise healthcare costs if you aren't going to give a raise. Is that too much to ask?