Peak here already?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yeah this job sucks but you know what it I what it is. Where you going to go and get a 90k a year job. All you stupid idiots that quit aint nothing but a bunch of little girls with no mental discipline. Good luck struggling to make ends meet with jobs that don't pay jack shiznitt.
Agreed....but c'mon dude....this job isn't for everybody. Some people can't hack it.

oldngray

nowhere special
min/max varies depending on the total stops in center, with it being higher if there are more total stops. Just another one of those mythical numbers UPS uses so they can claim they aren't over dispatching.

gingerkat

I knew that peak already began, I know that they are using outside helpers instead of insiders. Bunch of bastards. I saw a box yesterday that marked "peak diads". I don't care, I already lost all hopes in this crappy job, good thing I got a fulltime second job.

Why does it really matter who gets the crappy job for crappy pay? If the insiders don't feel like busting their hump early in the am and then going out and doing it all over for crappy pay, it really shouldn't matter. At orientation on Monday only 3 insiders, showed up. I wasn't going to the helper thing again, but since I have my own business and make my own hours, why not? The kid that runs the neighborhood route begged me to do it, so why not get paid to "tone-up" while helping him. I think he's happy he won't have to go through 6 helpers this year.

On a side note, I thought UPS had a training protocol that was about the same …wrong! Last year I was at a different hub and they drilled safety, like they were supposed to, and did an excellent job with just about everything. This year at the one by my home, they didn't even show helpers how to pick up a box or the three points of contact. No diad training, actually, no diad at all to see what it looks like. At least the HR guy thanked me for helping him instruct the orientation class… I wonder if I'll get two checks? I even said I wouldn't be ready until the following week, but I got a call the next day. Err… couldn't let my guy down, so I did a quick 8" hem and got out there.

Good luck to all you drivers and I know some of you hate helpers. Hopefully you'll be patient and remember most have never done this and probably got very little training. Oh and I think the biggest thing… most of us helpers really just want to do well for our drivers.

Squint

No more work for me!
And Thanksgiving comes very late this year. You'll have less than a whole month to get the Black Friday packages off the trucks. One good snow storm out in the NY area and all hell will break loose. Good luck to my old center!

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Why does it really matter who gets the crappy job for crappy pay? If the insiders don't feel like busting their hump early in the am and then going out and doing it all over for crappy pay, it really shouldn't matter. At orientation on Monday only 3 insiders, showed up. I wasn't going to the helper thing again, but since I have my own business and make my own hours, why not? The kid that runs the neighborhood route begged me to do it, so why not get paid to "tone-up" while helping him. I think he's happy he won't have to go through 6 helpers this year.

On a side note, I thought UPS had a training protocol that was about the same …wrong! Last year I was at a different hub and they drilled safety, like they were supposed to, and did an excellent job with just about everything. This year at the one by my home, they didn't even show helpers how to pick up a box or the three points of contact. No diad training, actually, no diad at all to see what it looks like. At least the HR guy thanked me for helping him instruct the orientation class… I wonder if I'll get two checks? I even said I wouldn't be ready until the following week, but I got a call the next day. Err… couldn't let my guy down, so I did a quick 8" hem and got out there.

Good luck to all you drivers and I know some of you hate helpers. Hopefully you'll be patient and remember most have never done this and probably got very little training. Oh and I think the biggest thing… most of us helpers really just want to do well for our drivers.

I was actually hoping to do drivers helping, but they didnt post anything in my hub about it, its all word of mouth and only the preloaders and the hypocritical shop steward on my shift are getting it, and i saw my building hiring helpers on the upsjob site. I could make a really big deal out of it by showing up to the building at 7:30am in the morning I see if any preloaders with less seniority than me is doing it, and file and file grievances and get paid. But like I said, I found myself a fulltime second job and I really dont care anymore.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
17 delivery days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Does not seem like a lot of time. That is good and bad.

thatsmypackage

What happened?

It's kind of silly really but... Last season at the end of peak, I spoke to the Center Manager about staying on. He said they weren't keeping any of the seasonal drivers... then I asked him how I performed... He said, "I didn't hear anything bad about you". Then flash forward to last month when I came in for my interview for this season... "I'll be honest with you, you were struggling last year, and we had to send guys out to help you every night." Said the Manager. BTW that was bull****. I had one of the harder routes last year and finished on my own except for one night I was behind and needed help... So basically the manager is a lying prick. Then I found out that they kept the other seasonal drivers all year, some of which just made book.

So it kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. I figured why should I bust my ass again when I know they have ZERO intention of keeping me... even if there were an open slot to be filled I don't think the manager would keep me on. Is this a childish mentality on my part? probably... but I need to do what I feel is right. UPS is WAY, WAY, WAY to regimented for lots of people, not just me. Too many rules and too many hoops to jump through. It's not worth it.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
It's kind of silly really but... Last season at the end of peak, I spoke to the Center Manager about staying on. He said they weren't keeping any of the seasonal drivers... then I asked him how I performed... He said, "I didn't hear anything bad about you". Then flash forward to last month when I came in for my interview for this season... "I'll be honest with you, you were struggling last year, and we had to send guys out to help you every night." Said the Manager. BTW that was bull****. I had one of the harder routes last year and finished on my own except for one night I was behind and needed help... So basically the manager is a lying prick. Then I found out that they kept the other seasonal drivers all year, some of which just made book.

So it kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. I figured why should I bust my ass again when I know they have ZERO intention of keeping me... even if there were an open slot to be filled I don't think the manager would keep me on. Is this a childish mentality on my part? probably... but I need to do what I feel is right. UPS is WAY, WAY, WAY to regimented for lots of people, not just me. Too many rules and too many hoops to jump through. It's not worth it.

It took me 7 years of peak driving to keep my foot in the door so that I could one day become a driver. Even then, I was not hired as a driver. I hired on to be a night clerk. These people that think that they can work one season and make it to full time don't realize there are a lot of folks in line way before them. Those with this kind of mentality of giving up is a testament that they are not cut out to be a driver. It takes a special breed of person. One that can function adequately under pressure of a deadline and know when to kick it in a little.

Squint

No more work for me!
It took me 7 years of peak driving to keep my foot in the door so that I could one day become a driver. Even then, I was not hired as a driver. I hired on to be a night clerk. These people that think that they can work one season and make it to full time don't realize there are a lot of folks in line way before them. Those with this kind of mentality of giving up is a testament that they are not cut out to be a driver. It takes a special breed of person. One that can function adequately under pressure of a deadline and know when to kick it in a little.

You were very lucky to get that clerk job. Clerk jobs are handed out only to senior drivers who put a bid in to get off the road in my old local. Those were some of the most sought after jobs that were open to hourly employees. We also had porters and customer counter personnel that were also unionized and full timers. Most of these jobs are non existent in some local unions across the country. Another example of give backs that some local unions have let happen over the years.

Management tried to source work to part timers that was actually deemed full time work from 2004 through most of 2010. Our Local kept telling UPS that we were going to grieve the work and they kept handing the work to part timers. We won a settlement at the end of 2010. Each full time clerk in the local got a check for $29,586.00. Now that's representation at its finest!!! I'm shocked to see across the country some of the things UPS gets away with from local to local.

thatsmypackage

It does happen. The seasonal drivers I worked with last year are full time drivers now after working one season. There's giving up... and then there's quitting because one knows their efforts are futile.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It does happen. The seasonal drivers I worked with last year are full time drivers now after working one season. There's giving up... and then there's quitting because one knows their efforts are futile.
You never know....you could've gone out there this peak, busted ass and proved them wrong. Even if they didn't keep you, you'd still earn some dough. Talking like you have three vaginas to explain why you'd rather wrap presents at the mall for eight bucks an hour..whatever dude. Oh management lies?? Shocking....welcome to ups.

Whargoul

You never know....you could've gone out there this peak, busted ass and proved them wrong. Even if they didn't keep you, you'd still earn some dough. Talking like you have three vaginas to explain why you'd rather wrap presents at the mall for eight bucks an hour..whatever dude. Oh management lies?? Shocking....welcome to ups.

ROFL! Man... I just spit coffee on my keyboard!

screamin chicken

it's hitting pretty hard in our center as well. We are down 6 drivers due to injuries and the Seasonal Drivers they have hired cant run more than 8-10 stops an hour . The Runner Gunners are getting BURIED (its OSSUM hearing them cry and whine in the AM) and I expect to be delivering Xmas packages in the middle of January to pissed off customers. There aint no way we are going to be able to deliver everything in December.

weel at my ceneter they just cut 3 routes and then use the three drivers as helpers....:2guns::2guns::2guns:

oldngray

nowhere special
While it would be better if the 3 routes were left in at least they are using the drivers as helpers rather than using helpers and laying off the drivers. Are the drivers getting their regular pay rate or helper pay?

They did that here sometimes and the drivers working as helpers got normal driver pay but only worked actual hours (less than 8).