Peak Hours For Seasonal Drivers...

BigD Bri

Didn't see a thread on this topic, so here's my question: What kind of hours am I most likely looking at as a Seasonal Driver? I've seen from a ton, to as little as the sups can get away with giving you on various posts. Keep in mind, I work in a very busy hub in a major metropolitan city. I'm also one of these highly motivated types that will never tell them no trying to make an impression. Given I'm starting Integrad on Monday, and I've got limited time at this payrate, I'm hoping it's an asswhip type of schedule.. Any opinions?

BigD Bri

"Highly motivated types"

They'll take care of that in short order

Perhaps.. Advice I've gotten so fsr says go hardcore, and perhaps I'll get lucky and get kept on FT, and then just kinda do what everyone else does.. Still, wondering what kind of hours, "Hardcore" is going to translate to..

PT Car Washer

Perhaps.. Advice I've gotten so fsr says go hardcore, and perhaps I'll get lucky and get kept on FT, and then just kinda do what everyone else does.. Still, wondering what kind of hours, "Hardcore" is going to translate to..
You're hoping, that as a Seasonal, you will be kept on FT after Peak when a lot of permanent FT drivers are being laid off until vacations start up in the Spring? May want to rethink this plan.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Didn't see a thread on this topic, so here's my question: What kind of hours am I most likely looking at as a Seasonal Driver? I've seen from a ton, to as little as the sups can get away with giving you on various posts. Keep in mind, I work in a very busy hub in a major metropolitan city. I'm also one of these highly motivated types that will never tell them no trying to make an impression. Given I'm starting Integrad on Monday, and I've got limited time at this payrate, I'm hoping it's an asswhip type of schedule.. Any opinions?
Lol. Don't waste your time trying to impress. You are history right after Christmas. Be smart, do as little as possible.

BigD Bri

You're hoping, that as a Seasonal, you will be kept on FT after Peak when a lot of permanent FT drivers are being laid off until vacations start up in the Spring? May want to rethink this plan.

Hoping for, and counting on, are two different things. I'm aware it's unlikely, although in my particular area there is a new hub opening, and depending on who you listen to, there might be a faster track to FT than in other regions.. Either way, I'm prepared for whatever happens.. Just trying to get opinions on what my work week is going to loom like over the next two months..

GenericUsername

My first season I was hired on as a seasonal driver (kept on part time afterwards) and I was starting at 7:30 AM to run post office then coming back and going out with my route. On that particular route, I was done by 6:30 every day (so 11 hour day), but I'd often get back to the building and find out that they could still use me to assist other drivers, so I would. I think the average I was doing was 12.5 hour days for the first peak. This last peak, I only got to drive for a week unfortunately, but I was still doing 10 hour days.

BigD Bri

My first season I was hired on as a seasonal driver (kept on part time afterwards) and I was starting at 7:30 AM to run post office then coming back and going out with my route. On that particular route, I was done by 6:30 every day (so 11 hour day), but I'd often get back to the building and find out that they could still use me to assist other drivers, so I would. I think the average I was doing was 12.5 hour days for the first peak. This last peak, I only got to drive for a week unfortunately, but I was still doing 10 hour days.

I see.. Appreciate the response..

PT Car Washer

Should have clarified, I'm not a temp.. Six weeks on Preload prior to getting the bid.
I think he means a temporary Seasonal driver. The last person they go to when extra help is needed. You have only 6 weeks company seniority? How old are you and what other work experience do you have?

BigD Bri

I think he means a temporary Seasonal driver. The last person they go to when extra help is needed. You have only 6 weeks company seniority? How old are you and what other work experience do you have?

That's right.. Hired to work preload 6 weeks ago, got the Seasonal Driver bid when it went up, go to Integrad on Monday. Went over everything with HR about returning to preload after Peak, made sure this bid didn't affect permanent status or accrued seniority.. I'm late 30's, most of my work history is split between restaurant/night club mgmt, and more recently warehouse management.. (Not interested in going UPS management.. Not at all.. Just here to do preload PT until my number comes up).

PT Car Washer

That's right.. Hired to work preload 6 weeks ago, got the Seasonal Driver bid when it went up, go to Integrad on Monday. Went over everything with HR about returning to preload after Peak, made sure this bid didn't affect permanent status or accrued seniority.. I'm late 30's, most of my work history is split between restaurant/night club mgmt, and more recently warehouse management.. (Not interested in going UPS management.. Not at all.. Just here to do preload PT until my number comes up).
Hang in there. Seen a lot of guys start out driving in their late 30's. Usually some of our best workers.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
62 and a half hours a week?

BigD Bri

The ideal new drivers are the one's who start in their late 20's and are hired off the street after having served their country.

For me, promoting from within is always the ideal way, primarily because you have a better idea of what you're getting. You'd like to think previous military experience means a higher level of discipline, and it often does. But not always. I come from a military family, and I have a couple of former Marine Corps cousins I wouldn't trust behind the wheel of a go cart.. Overall, probably not a bad policy, but not as reliable as having actually seen someone's job performance within your own company... Just my opinion..