Peak is going to suck

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I would have no problem fighting for a union here at FedEx. The problem is Fred has paid off so many politicians and has made an uphill battle into Mt Everest. Is it possible to organize nationally at once? Yes, but not without the support and organizing from the IBT. And looking at how they have struggled to get a handful of Freight terminals to vote for representation, I highly doubt they are up to task for a national campaign at Express.
You'd be amazed at how just one person changed things when they are determined. History is full of ordinary people who did extraordinary things against unspeakable odds.

MAKAVELI

You'd be amazed at how just one person changed things when they are determined. History is full of ordinary people who did extraordinary things against unspeakable odds.
I do agree with you on that statement. But I have been a part of an organizing effort before Express and can tell you from experience it takes an equal effort from employees and union to make it successful. Right now at Express, it's like we don't exist to the IBT.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Fat Freddy is paying Hoffa off.
Impasse?.... Hmm...
ace-venturalook-closely.gif

Overpaid Union Thug

How long have you been doing it again? Even if you follow all the methods, this job still isn't easy because you have things out of your control everyday that affect you day directly. When people don't do their jobs well like preload, dispatch or management, you get stuck fixing their poor quality everyday.

Yes we get compensated well. And a good driver earns that and then some every single day while making the company money hand over foot.

I've been behind the wheel for over 10 years now. And yes....its a pretty simple job if you try and follow the methods. Those things that are out of my control can be frustrating and definitely extend my day but the job is still pretty simple. Letting those things get me overly frustrated makes things harder than they should be. I quit doing that pretty early in the game though.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I had a driver tell me the other day that this is "the hottest peak season I ever worked." Haha...I thought that was good. Either way, a lot of drivers in my center almost enjoy peak because they rarely leave the cab of the truck. Some drivers get bad runners but they get passed around. Either way, peak has always been a :censored2: show and always will be a :censored2: show.

watdaflock?

How much peak season sucks also depends a lot on the weather. Early predictions show a higher accumulation of snow for much of the Midwest but not until after January.

If Louisville is under snow/ice everyone gets slowed down.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How much peak season sucks also depends a lot on the weather. Early predictions show a higher accumulation of snow for much of the Midwest but not until after January.

If Louisville is under snow/ice everyone gets slowed down.
Too early to speculate but yeah, disaster waiting to happen. I mentioned El Nino and it appears to be headed into moderate ~1.5-2C territory in coming months..which is usually a little colder Midwest/east coast Nov/dec, than a strong 2C+ one.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Too early to speculate but yeah, disaster waiting to happen. I mentioned El Nino and it appears to be headed into moderate ~1.5-2C territory in coming months..which is usually a little colder Midwest/east coast Nov/dec, than a strong 2C+ one.
You definitely missed your calling. Why aren't you working for NOAA or maybe get back into teaching? I think you mentioned you taught before? ?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You definitely missed your calling. Why aren't you working for NOAA or maybe get back into teaching? I think you mentioned you taught before? ?
Nah I wouldn't want to work in that field. I know a few of the forecasters at NOAA in Boston and Portland and they make a good living, but they don't make as much as UPS'ers and their pension/benefits aren't much better. Most of them have adv/ grad degrees as well.

90% the money is in ag and energy trading, or on-air mets can do well. It's a tough business with people way smarter than me.

Anyway, here's to a crippling ice storm Dec 21st. ;)