Peak is here! How are you doing???

browniehound

Its another peak season. How is your dispatch? I ask this question because many of our driver's dispatch are OK until 5-7 days before X-mas. My management team has done a wonderful job at dispatching the work (or getting help to the drivers over-dispatched) to this date.

It is now Dec. 16th and everyone is hurting! I punched out over 10 twice in December. I think that is more than fair! Our management team has been "right on" in helping the drivers who needed it the most.

Its now 1 week before X-mas. From this date forward we will all be grossly over dispatched. Its our job to suck it up and deliver the parcels.

Its my 10th peak and I have always felt great Dec. 25th! I've felt like I (and my helper) accomplished something that many individuals would not think about doing.

Peak really stinks, but I feel rewarded mentally and physically when its over!

Relaxing on Dec. 25th makes me feel well.

Merry Christmas to everyone at Brown Cafe from Browniehound. I love reading this forum!

Channahon

Brownie,

I know the peak feeling you are talking about, after 28 peaks at UPS. And my quiet time was always Christmas Eve, when I would send my managers and sups home as early as possible, as my way of thanking them for all their hard work during Peak. I would stay till the last driver came in and knew everyone was home safe and sound.

That feeling, and knowing everyone put their best effort forth, to service our customers, when challenges are usually weather, late loads, and late air, just goes to show how well a team can work together to make the Holiday Season special for all.

Have a safe peak season, and Happy Holidays to all at BC.

Chan

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
It's December 16th? Are you sure about that good buddy? I must have been writing the wrong date on all my info notices and service crosses :)

This is only my second peak, and this one is surely easier than last year. I attribute this to several things, mostly just that I have a lot more experience than I did last year. Also has to do with the area I'm delivering to.

I too feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of it all, or even at the end of each day, as well as during when I meet customers who are delighted that I'm bringing them a package, and who seem genuinely sympathetic to the hard work and long hours that we put in for them. Makes it all worth it (there is also of course, the 50 hour paychecks!!)

Put in 10.6 hours today, I imagine the rest of the week will be quite similar to today, which would have been better if my load haden't been destroyed. Damn new hires and their 9 misloads.

Overpaid Union Thug

Easiest peak I've had so far. I've been on a rural route just about every day since mid November but still get a helper. Our center already surpassed our peak day from last year.

Brownnblue

My peak has run hot & cold so far, but not even close to my two worst peaks in '01 & '05. My helper gets better every day, and that's all you can ask.

rod

Retired 22 years
Easiest peak I've had so far. I've been on a rural route just about every day since mid November but still get a helper. Our center already surpassed our peak day from last year.

What good is a helper on a rural route? My old center gave every route a helper this year and it seems like a waste of $$$$ to me. :peaceful:

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
What good is a helper on a rural route? My old center gave every route a helper this year and it seems like a waste of $$$$ to me. :peaceful:
Yeah one of the rural routes we have has complained about this. The center picked a meet point, the driver had to go out of his way to pick the helper up, who didn't save him any time on route, and then waste time taking them back to the meet point. He's like, "I work as directed and get paid by the hour. If UPS wants me to waste 40 minutes of my day getting a helper who doesn't save me any time then I will surely waste that on road time and get paid for it."

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
No peak here to speak of. Not like years past. Only saw a handful of rentals. This time last year I was doing over 220 stops a day with a helper. So far I haven't done more than 180. If you didn't get in the parking lot an hour early last year you would have to drive around and around or try to park in a snow bank. This year I can pick my spot near the building.

Less volume, less routes, less drivers.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I enjoy peak, its like a game. Every day i try and do more than the day before and in less time. I have a pretty good helper who wants hours so im going out with my full route and usually helping out other drivers before i come in. Today was 300 stops for 510 pieces and 20 pick ups for 200, only used a helper for 5 hours today and punched out just at 12 hours.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's December 16th? Are you sure about that good buddy? I must have been writing the wrong date on all my info notices and service crosses :)

Since Brownie posted this tonite at 7:30 pm.............then ya it's Dec 16 as the 15th is over and done with.

This is only my second peak, and this one is surely easier than last year. I attribute this to several things, mostly just that I have a lot more experience than I did last year. Also has to do with the area I'm delivering to.

WOW, you are SOOOOOO experienced. Can't wait to here you bits of wisdom next year!

I too feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of it all, or even at the end of each day, as well as during when I meet customers who are delighted that I'm bringing them a package, and who seem genuinely sympathetic to the hard work and long hours that we put in for them. Makes it all worth it (there is also of course, the 50 hour paychecks!!)

Put in 10.6 hours today, I imagine the rest of the week will be quite similar to today, which would have been better if my load haden't been destroyed. Damn new hires and their 9 misloads

brownrodster

I loved peak last year. Was on a peak only all resi route at the end of october. This year they didn't build that route until last weak! And it's been 200+ stops everyday with 250 the last couple days. Looking forward to my paycheck for next week. I'm sure I'll get over 59 hours this week.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
So, dilligaf why are you such ?

Seriously. I didn't say I was SUPER experienced, I just said I was MORE experienced than I was LAST year. Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? Taking lessons from dannywhateverhisnameis?

And, as I post this, on the East coast, it is past midnight, and so it is NOW the 16th. As of the OP, it was STILL the 15th. So I guess your problems go beyond just reading comprehension, it's just general knowledge that escapes you? There is also the spelling problem. Here and hear are two different words with different meanings. Perhaps you should think about learning the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Actually I am being a BITCH and you can leave Daniel out of this. And why are you calling me a? I can call myself whatever I want but you do not have the right to call me anything. You are violating the terms of this site. Do you really want to continue this?

So why do you have to be so nit-picky? I knew what Brownie meant, why didn't you?

Last edited by a moderator:

leastbest

LeastBest
Peak is no different than any other time of the year for me. I still have the ipod pumping out tunes, still take my lunch around 1pm and play the banjo. It's still one stop at a time at a reasonable pace.

Let the youngsters get their panties in a bunch.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I brought 35 stops---about 2 1/2 hours worth of work---back tonight. We are experiencing the worst snow and ice this area has seen in decades. The roads are impassable, a solid sheet of ice. In the coming days I will continue to bring back even more stops until this crap melts. I feel bad, but there is nothing I can do about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Peak thus far has not been that bad at all. My helper has been awesome which makes it that much easier. Punched out at 1730 3 days last week and 1800 last night. I have work this year that had been pulled last year, averaging 180-200 stops daily.