Peak is here! How are you doing???

I'm packin my bags. Can I stay at your place till I find a place of my own? Is your wife pretty, wait, that doesn't matter..:peaceful:.is she a good cook?
I would have to outta there by hurricane season.:happy2:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
T, you live in TX, quit acting like you have a winter. I'll take the Florida gig for the winter. Just came in from shoveling off another layer of snow.

T, you live in TX, quit acting like you have a winter. I'll take the Florida gig for the winter. Just came in from shoveling off another layer of snow.
CALF ROPE.........you WIN!!!
The usual snow here can be shoveled with a kitchen spatula, but GEEEEZ I hate the cold.

Big Babooba

I got stuck in some snow covered slop today. The right front tire sunk in to the rim. I had to call a tow truck. After I got winched out, I came upon the tow truck stuck in the snow. I ended up pulling him out. One good turn deserves another but I don't think that UPS will send him a bill.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Yeah, today was awesome! We had a late plane with a thousand packages that didn't get brought out to the drivers till 4pm! I had 190 stops (plus the 20 they brought me as late airs, which causes a ton of back tracking obviously) with a whole bunch of it really slow (big lots, have to drive into almost every driveway) and besides the fact I didn't actually know hardly any of the work, so I was essentially sucking. Oh yeah and once again my load was pretty much totally destroyed haha. I worked 11 hours and 59 minutes.

Yay peak!

buttere

11hrs 58min today, almost got stuck again today. I will work 12 hrs the next couple days for sure I'd say. We've got alot of snow on the ground and they're calling for freezing rain all day tomorrow. It could get pretty rough here. We lost our power for a week about this time last year. We got so behind on deliveries that they were using drivers and managers from surrounding centers. I really hope that we don't lose our power again.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I had about 12.75 hrs today. Wouldn't have been so bad but at 3 I got snookered into a last min PU. Got there at 4 and there was a warehouse full. Fortunately only 167 pcs were going out. I bricked out my truck (103 pcs). Had to go back to the ctr and unload and then go back out on rte. Cost about 90 min just for the PU. Then on top of that it hasn't quit raining yet. Tore up a few driveways tonite. Oh well at least most all those X-mas presents got del. today.:happy2:

PAUPSER

THe peak at our center has been really slow! as of today everyone went back to there normal start times and was told we will be off the 26th due to low volume.

brownrodster

Blizzard conditions yesturday. Almost 75 missed, er I mean ECD. Management gave us an 11 hour curfew. 50 of those ECD's could have been delivered given enough time. I hope they start pulling stops off my truck. I've had missed everyday this week and my truck will be too full to make sense of it all today. But they aren't adding routes. We are screwed.

helenofcalifornia

I am tired. It's 7:20 a.m. and I should have already been out the door to work and I am here instead. Don't want to move. Two more work days and then the weekend. Someone needs to kick me to get me going today. It's going to be a long, long day.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Helen, has your start time changed? We've gone from 8:45 (pre-peak) to 9:30 today and tomorrow. I'm guessing next week will be about the same 9:15 - 9:30. I second that on the long days.

I'm beat. I've been working 10-11 hours a day for my "part-time" preloader job. Add in my regular full-time day job, and I've only been getting about 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night. If I can make it past tomorrow, I should be able to catch up on my sleep over the weekend (of course, that's what I've said for every weekend, and it hasn't happened yet) and be home free with only 3 UPS days and 2 day-job days to go.

tieguy

Banned
In the management grind now 19 days straight without a day off....information flowing faster then i can absorb it all... plans changing daily....company now talking about shutting down all but a few hubs the day after christmas with no ground pickups that day....I need about 8 hours of quiet time to sit down and read and reread all the changing plans....tempers getting short......stupid management logic being applied as I constantly saw people using volume trends from the past week or month to predict this weeks volume levels...do they understand its peak?....todays is national free shipping day will it create a last minute surge on monday?....more information flowing..plans changed again.....voice mails off the hook......woa recieved two vm's in one day where the plans changed in each....air volume now getting heavy....woa equipment war over air trailers never seen that one before......ravens playing dallas saturday hope I stay awake....uh oh weather man using the dirty word for the east coast.... please no snow I hate delivering on xmas day......plans changed again.....customers calling wanting to know why their packages are late. Do they know about relaxed service?.....plans changed again.....have to train IE sups to help them learn how to help me.....deer accidents.....plans changed again.......two solid days of rain generated thirty red tagged trailers sitting in the yard with leaking roofs......plans changed again.......yard accidents increasing this month, district manager can't understand why apparently never seen peak congestion..conference calls to discuss the changing plans changed to a day earlier......contractors in the yard that looked like the soggy bottom boys.....plans changed again...corporate automotive actually thought they could simultaneously mandate a no red tags sitting/ no mechanics working overtime policy....plans changed again......dreamed about loading packages in a trailer have not done that in a while...dang plans changed again...sigh.........have a great peak everyone.:happy-very:

Great post Tie. Especially the part about the contractors. We had so many standing outside dispatch that I told someone that it looked like a line for a ride at Polish Disneyland.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Today wasn't quite as bad as yesterday, worked from 8:45 to 8:13, had late airs.. AGAIN. I only had to drive like 12 miles to the meet point to pick up the packages hahaha. This time they only brought me 11 stops instead of 20 which I suppose is good, except they were more spread out than yesterday.

Tomorrow there might be fog again, so perhaps more late airs.... man what a cluster-friend.

I feel like I've survived the worst of it though... bring on the weekend! Oh right, I have to work on Saturday.... lookin' like 56+ hours this week!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
First day back. I had 159 stops 375 pkgs delivered and 29 p/u's at 74 pieces. Had a Helper from 11:30 to 1430. Only 2 misloads, for the guy next to my area. Punched out at 1730. Not a bad day. I signed up for Saturday work, which will be given out in seniority order.

Don't know which order that is, as MGMT has a way of going from the bottom to the top, at times.:dissapointed:

BTW, our start time has been moved from 8:45 to 9:00