Peak Meltdown at Express

newgirl

Verizon all but stopped for a few months at our station. Then the volume came back. It wasn't tied to any new phone releases, I just think Verizon must have gotten complaints about the service.

I have a lot more Amazon in my truck lately. Personally I am using Amazon for Christmas so I imagine others are doing the same. There is a new option (or perhaps I never noticed before) that they will give me a dollar back if I choose a longer shipping time (2 days vs. 5-7 days) I think that is air vs. ground. Too bad the volume fluctuates so much.

El Morado Diablo

We were told at the District level that the increase in volume had to do with new rates that were negotiated with Amazon and Gap (I'm sure there are others). It may be Express thought our services wouldn't be used much until we got closer to Xmas. It seems like most of these deliveries have been 2 Day and XS. The only chance we have of keeping up this year will be if we have a brown Xmas.

vantexan

We were told at the District level that the increase in volume had to do with new rates that were negotiated with Amazon and Gap (I'm sure there are others). It may be Express thought our services wouldn't be used much until we got closer to Xmas. It seems like most of these deliveries have been 2 Day and XS. The only chance we have of keeping up this year will be if we have a brown Xmas.

I'mmmmm dreaming of a BROWN Christmas, just like the ones I used to knowwwwww.....

bbsam

Staff member
Verizon all but stopped for a few months at our station. Then the volume came back. It wasn't tied to any new phone releases, I just think Verizon must have gotten complaints about the service.

I have a lot more Amazon in my truck lately. Personally I am using Amazon for Christmas so I imagine others are doing the same. There is a new option (or perhaps I never noticed before) that they will give me a dollar back if I choose a longer shipping time (2 days vs. 5-7 days) I think that is air vs. ground. Too bad the volume fluctuates so much.
I wonder where Verizon went. We didn't have it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I wonder where Verizon went. We didn't have it.

My guess is that there will be several major Express accounts shifted over to Ground after peak. The announcement you alluded to in an earlier post could be related to this, or it also could be a public declaration of a shiftover of Express services. Either way, we lose here at Express, and you gain at Ground.

The loss of Verizon to Ground would be a major blow. All indications point to Express business going over to Ground as major accounts get sold on the savings they will experience. of course, Fred will also experience a major flow of cash into his pockets in the process.

Please listen-up, Purple People. Mr. Smith receives a lot more money per Ground package than he does per Express package. Where do you suppose Fred will focus his attention(s)? There is no incentive for Fred to grow Express business and every reason to both grow Ground and shift as much Express product as possible over to the Ground opco.

Mr. Smith has no loyalty to Express employees, a fact he has demonstrated over and over again. He goes where the money is, and the money is at Ground. As exploitative as the Express business model is, the Ground model is even more so. If it looks like a weasel, acts like a weasel, and sneaks around like a weasel...it's a weasel.

SmithBarney

Our local ramp, one of the RTV Drivers said that most of the saver product had been going by ground(unsure if that is FXG or just not in the air) but then they switched back to flying it out, he wasn't sure why. Interesting though food for thought.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our local ramp, one of the RTV Drivers said that most of the saver product had been going by ground(unsure if that is FXG or just not in the air) but then they switched back to flying it out, he wasn't sure why. Interesting though food for thought.

My guess would be they are flying it due to peak. If you are in a market that has space on the outbound aircraft, they will attempt to fill it.

Kevinmevin

Seeing lots from Shutterfly, Walmart, Kohls and macy's

other smaller accounts but good amount of volume still The Honest Company, WayFair, Buy.com,

They had a super high priority Amazon Trailer setup on our dock at the beginning of peak but have not seen one since.. testing waters i suppose to come online after peak. We are afterall 10 miles from where a new amazon warehouse opened.

Goldilocks

Guess this will be our last BIG PEAK. Its hitting hard at our station. Our volume has jumped from 7000 to 11000. DRA is creating too many routes and managers are having to go on the road to run FT routes. Not enough staff to handle it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Guess this will be our last BIG PEAK. Its hitting hard at our station. Our volume has jumped from 7000 to 11000. DRA is creating too many routes and managers are having to go on the road to run FT routes. Not enough staff to handle it.
At least some of your managers are going out on the road. Maybe not by choice but at least they're doing it. At our station, the managers don't like to get their hands dirty.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.

I "liked" your post b'c I love how ROADS is it's own little district manager. Ha ha ha