peak .. night delivery

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I had every driver's nightmare one Christmas Eve about 35 years ago. If it looked like a Christmas gift, we had to make an attempt on it. The latter part of my day, I found it, wrapped in brown paper (they allowed it back then) hand lettered to Grandma, no less. Not only was it out of my area, but it was even past our building's boundary. We usually all carried key maps back then. (a book sized map that had every street in the city of Houston, and even the county on the fringes. Looked it up. There was the street. It was in Porter, TX., way back in the boonies. It was probably a 40 minute drive one way for my helper and myself. Got to the house around 10:30pm, and it looked like a light was on inside. Had a fence around the yard and I was kinda leery about going up to a house in the middle of nowhere at that hour. I wasn't going back with this package, however. Signatures were required back then. I honked the horn once, then again, longer. Finally a porch light came on and a little old lady came out about and she looked to be about 80 years old. She got to the PC and I showed her the box. It was from her grandchildren. She said she thought they had forgotten about her. She started crying. I got her to sign, turned around and drove back to the center. I have to admit My helper and I both had something in our eyes. Must have been the dust from that old dirt road. lol. I punched out a little before midnight, and everybody was gone from the center when I got back. You know, it was worth it to me to see that little old lady's eyes light up. Sorry for the long post.

Gave me a smile there, Rob.

You're a good guy.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I will never forget that, nor would my helper that night probably. That situation would probably never happen these days and times. Thanks for the compliment.

I had a few Christmas deliveries close to that. I think any of us who had been around back when the customers (consignees) mattered probably can say the same.

Great story, and even greater outcome.

jaker

trolling
I remember a couple of peaks ago I was still doing stops at 11:15 me and my helper was amazed how many people where still up waiting for midnight to open gifts

Indecisi0n

I had every driver's nightmare one Christmas Eve about 35 years ago. If it looked like a Christmas gift, we had to make an attempt on it. The latter part of my day, I found it, wrapped in brown paper (they allowed it back then) hand lettered to Grandma, no less. Not only was it out of my area, but it was even past our building's boundary. We usually all carried key maps back then. (a book sized map that had every street in the city of Houston, and even the county on the fringes. Looked it up. There was the street. It was in Porter, TX., way back in the boonies. It was probably a 40 minute drive one way for my helper and myself. Got to the house around 10:30pm, and it looked like a light was on inside. Had a fence around the yard and I was kinda leery about going up to a house in the middle of nowhere at that hour. I wasn't going back with this package, however. Signatures were required back then. I honked the horn once, then again, longer. Finally a porch light came on and a little old lady came out about and she looked to be about 80 years old. She got to the PC and I showed her the box. It was from her grandchildren. She said she thought they had forgotten about her. She started crying. I got her to sign, turned around and drove back to the center. I have to admit My helper and I both had something in our eyes. Must have been the dust from that old dirt road. lol. I punched out a little before midnight, and everybody was gone from the center when I got back. You know, it was worth it to me to see that little old lady's eyes light up. Sorry for the long post.
I just got something in my eye....and it burns.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We have some extended centers in our building that start at 1030 and run til 0030hrs. Only UPS allows people out til all hours of the day and night just to get that damn Zappos box delivered but yet they preach everyday, "the most important stop is the last stop" Bunch of BS!

After 2030hrs, I honk at every stop, knock really loud, and yell UPS as loud as I can. Maybe if enough people complain about us doing that maybe one of these days they won't have us out that late.

Yeah right
You don't see fedex or the post office out that late and they have additional Christmas volume... I would never work delivering packages until midnight...never

Cementups

Box Monkey

communitygifs.gif

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
That's cute and all but anything that takes time away from me getting boozed up can and will wait

ups1990

I got something in my eyes.

tacken

Delivering at night in a big brown truck, wearing dark cloths . Accident waiting to happen know matter how safe you are.

13zipcodes

Latest I've been out was 9pm off duty time. That was the day I got stuck in the snow at 5:30 near my second to last stop , waited for the tow truck for 2.5 hours, then hiked a mile up the road to find a farmer with a tractor because the tow truck driver couldn't find me. About 7pm is the second latest I have been delivering.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I'll stay out as long as it take. That's what we do. The only time I come in with undelivered stops is if they tell me to and even then I'll still try to get it done.

By The Book

Latest I've been out was 9pm off duty time. That was the day I got stuck in the snow at 5:30 near my second to last stop , waited for the tow truck for 2.5 hours, then hiked a mile up the road to find a farmer with a tractor because the tow truck driver couldn't find me. About 7pm is the second latest I have been delivering.
You are a new member, give it time.