Peak Plea

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We were told that we'll get the Monday off after Xmas and new years.

That's what we were told today as well.

Thought for sure it would just be Sunday off and that's it but we could all use another days rest especially the day after Christmas. The one day off isn't nearly enough after all the stress we go through with peak.

Ghostwriter

YES. MrFedEx. It was exactly like you described at my former station. MY plea, to anyone reading- is to understand that sometimes "your best" will just not be enough- when the deck is stacked against you. Looking back, I KNOW that I did not have energy for another peak. I didn't have another peak left in me. I know its hard for all of you. Just do your best- win or lose, employed or fired; YOU can always look back and say you gave it your all- You didn't do it for Fedx, you didn't do it for the donuts, cookies or whatever. You did it because you are the standard. You are the ones that deliver, pick-up, and handle the huge workload. Couriers basically deliver Christmas to millions of people around the world. SO, what ever the company does- Take pride knowing that you play a vital role all year around. From delivering critical medical shipments to delivering little Johnny's toy truck on Christmas Eve- You all are very important- Please keep that in mind this peak and be safe....GOOD POST - btw.

ghost.

LTFedExer

Maybe at your station bro. I have shirts that are little more than tattered rags, and I get told every time that my request for shirts has been denied. I remember the days when a stain would get you asked to change uniforms, now they could give 2 s&*ts about apperances.
Not just at my station, bro. Starting this past June they changed the ordering process. I was in the office when my manager placed my order 3 times before June. It had to be worded in a specific way, approved by this person and then that person, etc. In August I ordered again and had them 4 days later.
Did you have a brain fart or something? I said with all the SATURDAY pkgs. Do we charge a premium for pkgs that arrive for delivery on Friday? Nope, only on pkgs that are sent on Thursday or Friday for Saturday delivery.
Sorry, I misunderstood your quote. The 24th will only be a cleanup day with Dex 8's and 1's from the week. It won't be busy. We'll probably have everyone go in at 7:00 and be off the clock by 10:00.

vantexan

Sorry, I misunderstood your quote. The 24th will only be a cleanup day with Dex 8's and 1's from the week. It won't be busy. We'll probably have everyone go in at 7:00 and be off the clock by 10:00.

Plus all the Saturday service pkgs. I'll be driving at least 200 miles and getting off late in the afternoon.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've never actually seen a GAP report and I don't know a single person in my station that has.

FedEx has gone back to each courier having a budget ($150 I believe).

Depends on how much we get delivered the week before. The day before has never been voluntary, it might be this year.

There is no premium unless the package is due on Saturday. If we don't attempt a Friday package on Friday, it would not get charged the premium, even if it is attempted Saturday.

I have to call BS on this one. You've never seen a Gap Report? How is it that your managers operate so differently from everyone else? At my station, if you took 10 minutes to get to a stop that normally takes 5, you get to have a talk with the manager, who dutifully pulls out the report and asks you why. Maybe I'll say traffic, or maybe I'll say I was taking a dump, but he needs to have a reason to justify his miserable existence.

Cactus

The 24th will only be a cleanup day with Dex 8's and 1's from the week. It won't be busy. We'll probably have everyone go in at 7:00 and be off the clock by 10:00.

Sounds like a pipedream.

Something will screw up along the way, be it the weather, the pilots, the ramps or Memphis.

Just watch.

LTFedExer

I have to call BS on this one. You've never seen a Gap Report? How is it that your managers operate so differently from everyone else? At my station, if you took 10 minutes to get to a stop that normally takes 5, you get to have a talk with the manager, who dutifully pulls out the report and asks you why. Maybe I'll say traffic, or maybe I'll say I was taking a dump, but he needs to have a reason to justify his miserable existence.
Maybe someone else in my station has seen a GAP report, but I haven't. I do a split shift. P1 only in the morning and a PM route starting at 3:00. My P1 route has a total driving distance of 19 miles. That's from my 10 to 17. I have exactly 6 traffic lights and probably 6-7 stop signs. Traffic is almost non-existent.
Sounds like a pipedream.
Something will screw up along the way, be it the weather, the pilots, the ramps or Memphis.
Just watch.
True, it can happen. This is my 7th peak in this station. We've had a major delay maybe 3 times. If a Memphis, pilot, etc delay is early enough in the week, we can usually make it up.

BoxDriver

I wish I could say the same. I get to my terminal about 7:00. On a good day right now the sort gets done around 7:30-7:45 and I leave about 8:00-8:15. I'm sure that will be later every day once peak gets really going. Then my commute on a clear day is 1 hour each way to my delivery area. So if I only had one stop I would still be past 10:00.

vantexan

True, it can happen. This is my 7th peak in this station. We've had a major delay maybe 3 times. If a Memphis, pilot, etc delay is early enough in the week, we can usually make it up.

You are fortunate. Our ramp is often delayed by fog in the winter, and certainly further north they have issues with winter weather. We had late freight Tues-Sat in varying degrees this last week, started 1.5 hrs late on Weds. Just another reason why we should be compensated better. Most people go to work at a set time, leave at a set time. We have to be extremely flexible to work for FedEx. Start times delayed at a moments notice, extra heavy freight delaying our getting off, etc.

Cactus

You are fortunate. Our ramp is often delayed by fog in the winter, and certainly further north they have issues with winter weather. We had late freight Tues-Sat in varying degrees this last week, started 1.5 hrs late on Weds. Just another reason why we should be compensated better. Most people go to work at a set time, leave at a set time. We have to be extremely flexible to work for FedEx. Start times delayed at a moments notice, extra heavy freight delaying our getting off, etc.

Much of that is due to poor planning from engineers and the Memphis upper management.

They know the volume will be heavy well in advance.

They know where weather will be bad, there's a staff of meteorologists in Memphis.

But they don't care. They're not the one's doing the dirty work.

vantexan

Much of that is due to poor planning from engineers and the Memphis upper management.
They know the volume will be heavy well in advance.
They know where weather will be bad, there's a staff of meteorologists in Memphis.

But they don't care. They're not the one's doing the dirty work.

But how is knowing freight will be heavy change anything? Our jets have to leave the airport on a set schedule, and if everything goes according to plan we will still have extra freight to deliver. Throw a weather event into the mix and our day gets much worse. Our evening PTers are often called to come assist but that's a hit or miss proposition. Might not be able to come in, might not answer the phone, and there aren't enough of them to help many of us. And FedEx isn't going to staff based on worst case scenarios. Otherwise we'd all only get 35 hrs a week with too many people hanging around. It's a tough business, and those of us who stick with it should be compensated better because we do have to put up with alot. Every so often FedEx will tell us they know we've got it tough and they do care about us. Apparently that's supposed to take the place of better compensation. Pretty hard to say they care at this point without most bursting into sarcastic laughter as everything they do says they care about themselves first and foremost.

Ghostwriter

I SURE DON'T MISS ALL OF THAT!
ghost.