Peak Projections

Nick9075

Not easy to find drivers at the current pay rate especially in an expensive area like nyc or drivers that are qualified
If you think it sucks so much why are you still there

You know they lowered the requirements for drivers right?

still I am not mentioning numbers but the wage comes out to a little over minimum. Maybe that wage works in some parts of the Midwest but not in the NYC area. Then you have to worry about packages getting misdelivered, lost and stolen

Nick9075

UPS of course.

Supposed to find drivers to work peak at the rate that I can pay (under FedEx Home delivery) for the 12 hour days are likely required comes to just over minimum wage --- in NYC it is not happening, no one pays that little not even McDonalds

whats disgusting is that most of the cash flow will flow right into the pockets of the paper pushing corporate executives and senior management who cream in their pants when they get an opportunity to throw someone under the bus

overflowed

So are these temp workers employees of ground directly or are they assigned to contractors.

I would say Fedex if there is OT. The posting says this is in Connecticut not New York. Also I don't think contractors would use a staffing service. To top is off, and this is great news. I called the 1800 number to see if it was Kelly's or a Fedex recording. Kelly's. It said I passed the pre interview. Yay!

HomeDelivery

So are these temp workers employees of ground directly or are they assigned to contractors.

Ground uses temp agencies to get hourly workers to come in... that CT location services weschester or just above the bronx... via Kelly services

manhattan and long island seems to be using Randstad...

PA is using Volt temp agency... etc etc

basically it's an audition for the contractors & if proven productive, management will refer them to you sub-contractors for more work & you can hire them as supplemental drivers, using rental vehicles of course...

if they're slow, causes too many complaints/ claims/ mis-deliveries, then they stay hourly until xmas eve...or just fired right away (also, if they cause property damage, it's an immediate dismissal)

temp employee, fire you "at will" and disposable

no matter what, we are not Ground employees, just "vendors"

is it the same way for temp Express couriers?

overflowed

Ground uses temp agencies to get hourly workers to come in... that CT location services weschester or just above the bronx... via Kelly services

manhattan and long island seems to be using Randstad...

PA is using Volt temp agency... etc etc

basically it's an audition for the contractors & if proven productive, management will refer them to you sub-contractors for more work & you can hire them as supplemental drivers, using rental vehicles of course...

if they're slow, causes too many complaints/ claims/ mis-deliveries, then they stay hourly until xmas eve...or just fired right away (also, if they cause property damage, it's an immediate dismissal)

temp employee, fire you "at will" and disposable

Wouldn't it be the contractors responsibility to hire the drivers needed for peak? I honestly don't know that's why I'm asking. I know the company I work for and they wouldn't do anything unless they need to, or make a profit off it. The way things have been I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even grab food for us this peak.

HomeDelivery

overflow... yes it's their responsibility for the most part... they do that independently during the rest of the year when a driver quits on the spot. But as peak season hits, Ground indirectly gets to foot the bill of background checks, DOT health card screenings, etc...

just lookup craigslist ads in your local area, highlight "transportation" section, type in fedex as the keyword & you may see some little Corp/contractor looking for drivers

also, roll back a few pages to see one potential driver that was asked to pay for his own DOT drug test! instead of that contractor footing the bill... :whiteflag:

overflowed

overflow... yes it's their responsibility for the most part... they do that independently during the rest of the year when a driver quits on the spot. But as peak season hits, Ground indirectly gets to foot the bill of background checks, DOT health card screenings, etc...

just lookup craigslist ads in your local area, highlight "transportation" section, type in fedex as the keyword & you may see some little Corp/contractor looking for drivers

also, roll back a few pages to see one potential driver that was asked to pay for his own DOT drug test! instead of that contractor footing the bill... :whiteflag:
This is a somewhat common practice I think. I have a friend that was not working and he called me asking is it normal that they wanted him to pay for the drug test. I asked if it was Fedex ground he said yes. So I explained how ground worked and he left the drug screening place. He was not told that he wasn't working for Fedex. He said he asked the person questions but kept telling him to just go to the drug screening first. Oh well.

MAKAVELI

Looking for a job on Craigslist is generally not a good idea. Just the fact that contractors advertise on Craigslist is a red flag, when it is a haven for crooks, scammers, and hustlers.

bbsam

Staff member
Wouldn't it be the contractors responsibility to hire the drivers needed for peak? I honestly don't know that's why I'm asking. I know the company I work for and they wouldn't do anything unless they need to, or make a profit off it. The way things have been I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even grab food for us this peak.
Yes and no. It is the contractors responsibility up to the point where the can't or won't do it. In ISP states we are required by contract to service "X" number of stops. Beyond that threshold the contractor has the "right of refusal". Therefore FDX has to have temp drivers around as a plan B to cover that volume.

overflowed

Yes and no. It is the contractors responsibility up to the point where the can't or won't do it. In ISP states we are required by contract to service "X" number of stops. Beyond that threshold the contractor has the "right of refusal". Therefore FDX has to have temp drivers around as a plan B to cover that volume.
So what you've been biotchin about later is directly related. Why hire people for a extra month if it may not be worth it. Just say no thanks and have the company deal with the headache?

overflowed

Biotchin about lately is what I meant. I can't edit for some reason and I'm scared Vantexan will come trying to hang me from my huevos cause I misspelled a word. Did you say you're in NC? I have some family in NC.