Peak season advice

Z

ZQXC

Get the correct package into the correct truck? When did that start? My buildings pre load manager just wants the boxes out of the trailer and into any truck and on the street. Somebody else's problem then.

Been the same mantra for 30 years
Get the damn cardboard out of the building

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Been the same mantra for 30 years
Get the damn cardboard out of the building
CAM00152.jpg
That's not cardboard....

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Same here. Went from 20 hour workweeks to 35+ through December last year, barely slowing down into January. Don't remember the volume the year before that, though, I was 3 months in and dog-tired through my entire first peak, and loading four trucks outside in winter weather that the conveyor belts didn't reach, so they had about 40-50ft worth of metal rollers jutting outside the building to a row of about 10 trucks, lol.

The job's easy once you've loaded outside in the middle of heavy snow or rain with temps at a max of like 40 degrees, a minimum of about 5 degrees from November to February. That BS SUCKED. And those little temporary roof/tent things they prop up out there? You learn real fast that those are meant to keep the packages from getting wet, not you.

:censored2:in' BS is what it was... good luck on your first peak, though. Hopefully you'll have enough time in to not be thrown into the absolute most :censored2:ty positions your center/hub has to offer by the time Christmas rolls around.
My center is in a ridiculous cold weather area. Our guys were outside in -15 to -30 temps. The amount of guys we went through during peak was unbelievable. I don't think any of them lasted more than 2 weeks. We had to have PT sups come in and load because they couldn't get anybody to stay. They're still loading outside in that structure. We needed a new building a long time ago.

Sent using BrownCafe App

J

jibbs

Peak season starts in October correct?

Peak season starts when the numbers on your schedule start to make no gosh darn sense.

My center is in a ridiculous cold weather area. Our guys were outside in -15 to -30 temps. The amount of guys we went through during peak was unbelievable. I don't think any of them lasted more than 2 weeks. We had to have PT sups come in and load because they couldn't get anybody to stay. They're still loading outside in that structure. We needed a new building a long time ago.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yeah. I don't think I could've done -15 to -30. Probably would've quit within the first hour if my first day was like that. Luckily I had gotten a bit used to the job by the time peak rolled around and was able to acclimate to the gradually colder weather. I was still sick more often than not that Winter, though... God, I still remember that cough I managed to develop....

man, :censored2: peak. I don't want to think about this right now.

aiian

Advice... just make sure the right package is on the right car and at the very least the correct shelf.

Speed and all that other BS is arbitrary.