Peak + snow = no good!

Thebrownstreak

I have a road on my route, which is an old logging road that the township converted to a township road. It just so happens to also be on the side of a 200 foot cliff. It also goes down hill and a slope everywhere from very gentle, to one part that gets a bit steep. No guardrail. It is tree lined, so that kind of acts like a guardrail, i guess. They also do not service the road. So basically what happens is an ice rutt will form, and as long as you stay in the middle of it your are ok. Stopping w/o chains is next to impossible.

One thing that has worked is that i have a truck service garage on route that is basically one of my first stops. I back into an open bay, they throw the truck up on the lift, and slap the chains on in about 2 minutes. They send me away with a cup of coffee. They have also come to my rescue a couple of times where i have gotten stuck on route. My route consists of about 95% dirt roads, in mainly farm country. I also have told some of the younger guys to invest in a tow strap. It has come to my savior on more than one occasion.

Indecisi0n

I have a road on my route, which is an old logging road that the township converted to a township road. It just so happens to also be on the side of a 200 foot cliff. It also goes down hill and a slope everywhere from very gentle, to one part that gets a bit steep. No guardrail. It is tree lined, so that kind of acts like a guardrail, i guess. They also do not service the road. So basically what happens is an ice rutt will form, and as long as you stay in the middle of it your are ok. Stopping w/o chains is next to impossible.

One thing that has worked is that i have a truck service garage on route that is basically one of my first stops. I back into an open bay, they throw the truck up on the lift, and slap the chains on in about 2 minutes. They send me away with a cup of coffee. They have also come to my rescue a couple of times where i have gotten stuck on route. My route consists of about 95% dirt roads, in mainly farm country. I also have told some of the younger guys to invest in a tow strap. It has come to my savior on more than one occasion.

If the road is that dangerous then every house connected to that road is EC. Sorry but grandma's QVC slippers isn't more important than my safety.

Thebrownstreak

For the most part I agree with you. This road is like that all winter long though. Its kinds of a you have to be there to understand sort of thing. There are times when I look down the very beginning and if the ics looks too bad, i don't even touch the road. But if the ice is broken up at the top, the road is passable. That being said, I did go 4 weeks without delivering that road last winter. It was just way to icy.