Peak sucks

moreluck

golden ticket member
".....For someone who is retired you do spend a lot of time on an Internet forum which is primarily for active UPS employees. Maybe it is time for you to move on to the second part of your life. ....."

And where has Cheryl posted this law for the usage of this site ???????????????

outta hours

Yeah I really miss the drop frame trailers with the hydraulic legs. Now we have to work so much harder manually rolling the legs down. Brutal during Peak.......

Good point. And a lot of the rail and other rental trailers have landing gear that is really hard to crank up or down. Really gets the heart rate up. Hope we can hang on for 3 more weeks.

kingOFchester

No wonder you get off early if all they give you is 180 stops with a helper. Hows that "ignore list" working out for you? Quit your sniveling you bed wetter.

I have done trips during the summer that had 120-130 stops 300 packages and been close to 9.5. Have done other trips that run close to 200 stops and been done under 8. How can you make a statement like that, not knowing the trip?

Just asking..

I have done trips where I have been back in the building in just over 6 hours worked....and made more money then the trip that I was out for 9.5.

Yes, I am a bonus baby and LOVE it!!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
chester,, you are right , peak sucks,, the over loaded trucks with the crushed pkgs due to the swell in volume,, the horrible driver morale due to long hrs,, the stress of the holidays unrelated to ups,, the micro management and silly peak rules,, the revolving door of helpers... in the old days we were told peak was a service test, and ups barely broke even in profit,, just deal with the companywide misery (unless you are mr perfect upstate) and look for the light at the end of the tunnel,, but yes, i agree, peak SUCKS

browniehound

I punch out around the same time as usual or a little earlier with 100 plus more stops then normal. Nothing like driving around all day and only having to get out of your package car a couple of dozen times.

This is what I like about peak. Its a nice break to not have to get out of the truck as much. I had to do my last 30 without the helper today and was saying to myself "damn, I forgot how much hard work this is!" LOL.

Believe it or not, I actually like peak or at least the challenge of it. Like someone mentioned its just 1 stop at a time 300 times a day and there is no need to panic. Your hours are capped at 60/week so it means you definetly will get help if you can't finish, where as during the year, I get a snowball's chance in hell of getting help when I'm dispatched over 10. And it really feels good on Dec. 25th when you can kick back with an egg nog and reflect on the hard work you've just accomplished.

The one thing that frustrates me is not being able to find packages in the load. Thursday the 2nd my 1200 was a solid brick of packages from front to back. I could barely open the door and couldn't step an inch into the cargo area to start sorting. So, the 1st hour of the day was just grabing whatever stop I could get at and deliver it,and I did this until I had enough room to stand in the cargo area and start the trace of the route. Again, I got a ton of help from 2 other drivers later in the day when this would never happen during the rest of the year. It was the most volume I have seen in my 11 year career and it was only Dec. 2nd!

Its gonna be one helleva peak this year!

kingOFchester

Maybe Peak sucks for you because you run your ass off all year and they use this to bury you at Peak?

It sucks regardless if I ran all summer. There isnt a truck that goes out on my slide that isnt burried. Even the slackers are burried.....until I go and take stops off of them. All good though when the check comes. Averaging 13+ hour dispatch. Still sucks. Just like paying my electric bill in the summer. Love the AC, hate the bill.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It sucks regardless if I ran all summer. There isnt a truck that goes out on my slide that isnt burried. Even the slackers are burried.....until I go and take stops off of them. All good though when the check comes. Averaging 13+ hour dispatch. Still sucks. Just like paying my electric bill in the summer. Love the AC, hate the bill.

That post wasn't for you--it was for the runner and gunner hellfire.

kingOFchester

Got ya! No running no gunning. I do go in 30 minutes early and set up truck. Dispatch is good because they got me running a split in 3 areas. 20+ miles apart. Miles bring smiles for bonus babies.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Got ya! No running no gunning. I do go in 30 minutes early and set up truck. Dispatch is good because they got me running a split in 3 areas. 20+ miles apart. Miles bring smiles for bonus babies.

You work for free for 30 minutes, then get buried and 13 hour days? That to me means "sucker!" No way to say it nicely.

curiousbrain

Peak has its moments - like today heh. One person called out today, another showed up an hour late, and that was just on our line. The belt could barely move, and instead of the usual one person on the split, we had four managers up there doing it. Good times.

kingOFchester

You work for free for 30 minutes, then get buried and 13 hour days? That to me means "sucker!" No way to say it nicely.

13 hour dispatch......not always working 13 hours...actualy very few 13 hour days... Yesterday I did 237 clicks of bonus. Think that about covered my 30 minutes of working "free". Very very very few times have I not covered my "free" time.

The 30 minutes of "free time in the am probably saves me 30 minutes on the back side.......rather go in 30 minutes early and get done 30 minutes early. Being a bonus driver my pay will be the same.

Sometimes i wonder if people read posts b4 responding?

Sucker.....hmmm Been called far worse.

outta hours

13 hour dispatch......not always working 13 hours...actualy very few 13 hour days... Yesterday I did 237 clicks of bonus. Think that about covered my 30 minutes of working "free". Very very very few times have I not covered my "free" time.

The 30 minutes of "free time in the am probably saves me 30 minutes on the back side.......rather go in 30 minutes early and get done 30 minutes early. Being a bonus driver my pay will be the same.

Hope you never get hurt working during your "FREE" time. Nice rationalization about working for free being better for you. Why not work an hour or two for free? That will up your bonus also and improve your SPORH

Great example of the "ME" first attitude that is dooming our country and our company. Never mind doing whats right. Only do what benefits you, no matter who else it screws. That crap doesn't fly in my bldg. You would be filed on and not allowed anywhere near your car until start time. As it should be.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I respect and appreciate people who analyze and work the system.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Hope you never get hurt working during your "FREE" time. Nice rationalization about working for free being better for you. Why not work an hour or two for free? That will up your bonus also and improve your SPORH

Great example of the "ME" first attitude that is dooming our country and our company. Never mind doing whats right. Only do what benefits you, no matter who else it screws. That crap doesn't fly in my bldg. You would be filed on and not allowed anywhere near your car until start time. As it should be.
well,, about 8 yrs ago i was going through my truck before start time and touched a leaking hazmat and got a chem burn,, i told the center manager,, he told me to go to the er,, i got paid for that day and the next 2,, no questions asked,,, im glad im not in your building cause me and your crew would have problems wouldnt we

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Just wondering....how many stops and pieces do you pickup and deliver to be able to get that much bonus....do you run and skip your lunch and breaks????

kingOFchester

Just wondering....how many stops and pieces do you pickup and deliver to be able to get that much bonus....do you run and skip your lunch and breaks????

I do not run. Period.

As far as skipping lunch, depends on the trip. Some trips, do to late pick ups (after 5) I will take my lunch do to having no options. I have a real hard time sitting for an hour. Rural route even worse. Not going to park in some parking lot and sit for 1hour when I can skip the lunch...be back at home eatting dinner with my family. Most of the time my bonus covers my lunch and then some. So either way I am getting a lunch break......my lunch break is at home at the end of the day. I WILL ADD....if I was a bid driver I would have to change as I know the management would probably add more work......but I am a full time cover driver and intend to stay that way. I am one of the few who does not want my own route. ADDHDD or what ever you want to call it.

Is it wrong to set up the truck so I can get Grounds off with the air's? If anything I am probably making the customer happy.
Is it wrong to set up the truck so I can get Grounds off between air stops so I am not back tracking?

One example....I know a trip that has a motorcycle shop that is the very first business I pass entering the area. The owner likes it when I cover the trip as I will have his stops off first stop. This allows him to get the parts for jobs he is trying to complete. It also helps me as I will not have to come back down to his area as I will have grounds and airs off first thing.

What is wrong with me sitting at home and getting paid in bonus vs sitting in a parking lot waitting for the hour lunch to tick by??

Could it be that some resent UPSers like me becuase we dont have boards that lock up?
Could it be that some resent UPSers like me because we do get bonus?

Either case, why do you care if I work off the clock? Or skip lunch.

As far as pieces and stops question.......that means nothing. As I have stated b4 each trip is diffrent. You can have 2 trips that have about the same miles....packages...and stops and have a total diffrent dispatch........time study will dictate that.

I know one trip where the driver had a time study and still cut corners and set up truck and his dipatch sucks.....oh wait I guess I shoul man up and say his time study doesnt suck.....