Peak sucks

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Its all about your mindset.

When I get out of bed on a Monday morning in December, I have already accepted the fact that I am at the beginning of a 60 hour workweek. I am at peace with it. Its what I signed on for; its what we do at UPS during peak season.

On any given day I may wind up with missed packages, or I may not. I have no control over what is put in the truck or how well (or poorly) it is loaded. If my management team sets me up to succeed....I will. If they set me up to fail....I will. I can only do my best, and the rest is out of my hands.

I also keep in mind the fact that, by any objective standard, the peak season of today is far, far better than the peak seasons that I used to work back in the late 80's. Today I have a modern truck with power steering, and a DIAD with EDD that gives me a reasonably accurate stop count. Back then I had a brickloaded P-500 with anywhere from 300 to 500 stops forced into it and no idea of what or where they were. Today when I leave the building I have a reasonable certainty of completing my route or at least coming close. Back then it was quite common to bring 200 missed stops back to the building at 11:00 at night, knowing full well that you would simply be bringing them back again the following night. No matter how fast you worked or how hard you tried there was utterly no hope at all of getting done, and the only thing that seemed to matter to your management team was finding a way to get all of the packages "out of the building" so that they could look at a clean belt and pretend that the "plan" was working. Those days are pretty much over with, and.... barring some sort of weather related catastrophe...I am pretty sure that I will be coming in "clean" on the 24th.

Christmas is two weeks away. That means there are 10 working days or a maximum of 120 hours of peak season remaining. Work smart, work safe, do your best, take it one hour or even one minute at a time, and before you know it it will be over with.

sosocal

Its all about your mindset.

When I get out of bed on a Monday morning in December, I have already accepted the fact that I am at the beginning of a 60 hour workweek. I am at peace with it. Its what I signed on for; its what we do at UPS during peak season.

On any given day I may wind up with missed packages, or I may not. I have no control over what is put in the truck or how well (or poorly) it is loaded. If my management team sets me up to succeed....I will. If they set me up to fail....I will. I can only do my best, and the rest is out of my hands.

I also keep in mind the fact that, by any objective standard, the peak season of today is far, far better than the peak seasons that I used to work back in the late 80's. Today I have a modern truck with power steering, and a DIAD with EDD that gives me a reasonably accurate stop count. Back then I had a brickloaded P-500 with anywhere from 300 to 500 stops forced into it and no idea of what or where they were. Today when I leave the building I have a reasonable certainty of completing my route or at least coming close. Back then it was quite common to bring 200 missed stops back to the building at 11:00 at night, knowing full well that you would simply be bringing them back again the following night. No matter how fast you worked or how hard you tried there was utterly no hope at all of getting done, and the only thing that seemed to matter to your management team was finding a way to get all of the packages "out of the building" so that they could look at a clean belt and pretend that the "plan" was working. Those days are pretty much over with, and.... barring some sort of weather related catastrophe...I am pretty sure that I will be coming in "clean" on the 24th.

Christmas is two weeks away. That means there are 10 working days or a maximum of 120 hours of peak season remaining. Work smart, work safe, do your best, take it one hour or even one minute at a time, and before you know it it will be over with.

well said!!!!...you do everything you know and have been trained to do...from there..it is what it is.

probellringer

you still have same two hands as jan.-nov.....no cape is provided...they are just packages...and just like every yr---there will be that pkg that was delivered "late" and the customer will let you know it was supposed to be here on 24th....10 days left...enjoy

trouble maker

Actually, it isnt the same.
Very well said
I'm not slamming you here, I'm just pointing out some very simple facts.

You are falsifying a timecard and you are partially responsible for costing a preloader his job. Your preload operation is staffed at a certain level based upon how many hours it takes to get the cars loaded. By dishonestly falsifying your timecard and working 30 minutes for free in the AM, you are allowing the company to get away with understaffing the preload operation.

Fewer employees on the payroll decreases the Pension and Health&Welfare contributions that the company would make on their behalf. Those contributions are made on a hourly basis, so by working off of the clock they are also contributing less for you.

I understand that what you are doing seems to be the most efficient way to get the work done, and that it doesnt wind up affecting your paycheck due to the "bonus" you are getting. But if it truly is the best way, why should you be required to lie about it when you submit your time card every day? Why wont the company allow you to be honest about what you are doing?

You also admit that your attitude "may" change when your kids move out and you get older and more beat up. Well, I've got a news flash for you; your attitude may change, but UPS's attitude wont.

They want that free labor that you have been giving them for so many years, they are hooked on it, and the day you start withholding it they are going to react the same way that a heroin addict would if you took his drugs away.

They aren't loyal. They wont care about the fact that you are older or more beat up. They are going to do whatever they have to do to get that free labor back, even if it means firing you and replacing you with someone newer and cheaper who will cut the same corners that you did for so long.

I dont doubt your sincerity or your good intentions. You sound like a good, hard-working employee and family man. But by lying on your timecard, you are slowly painting yourself into a corner and the day will come when you will be looking for some way out and it wont be there.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Actually, it isnt the same.

I'm not slamming you here, I'm just pointing out some very simple facts.

You are falsifying a timecard and you are partially responsible for costing a preloader his job. Your preload operation is staffed at a certain level based upon how many hours it takes to get the cars loaded. By dishonestly falsifying your timecard and working 30 minutes for free in the AM, you are allowing the company to get away with understaffing the preload operation.

Fewer employees on the payroll decreases the Pension and Health&Welfare contributions that the company would make on their behalf. Those contributions are made on a hourly basis, so by working off of the clock they are also contributing less for you.

I understand that what you are doing seems to be the most efficient way to get the work done, and that it doesnt wind up affecting your paycheck due to the "bonus" you are getting. But if it truly is the best way, why should you be required to lie about it when you submit your time card every day? Why wont the company allow you to be honest about what you are doing?

You also admit that your attitude "may" change when your kids move out and you get older and more beat up. Well, I've got a news flash for you; your attitude may change, but UPS's attitude wont.

They want that free labor that you have been giving them for so many years, they are hooked on it, and the day you start withholding it they are going to react the same way that a heroin addict would if you took his drugs away.

They aren't loyal. They wont care about the fact that you are older or more beat up. They are going to do whatever they have to do to get that free labor back, even if it means firing you and replacing you with someone newer and cheaper who will cut the same corners that you did for so long.

I dont doubt your sincerity or your good intentions. You sound like a good, hard-working employee and family man. But by lying on your timecard, you are slowly painting yourself into a corner and the day will come when you will be looking for some way out and it wont be there.
i have heard this argument so many times it is now comical,, the best is when a 5 yr union superstar tells me how at some point the company is gonna screw me over and pile on the dispatch,, and when i get hurt of the clock or corporate sees i work during lunch i will be fired,, then,, i better not dare to ask the union for help, its my fault....YAWN.,, im going on 28 yrs now,,i skip lunch when im in the mood,, i average aroung 150 to 2 hrs of bonus a day,, management repects me,, i can tell them to raise or lower my dipatch and they trust me and my abilities enough to do it,, seems the same mentality of ups is bad and union is good brings the same group to post the same rhetoric i will admit this job is boring and monotonous but alot of you,people are so miserable and hate ups so much you need to quit and move on

Nimnim

The Nim
Ouch. To be fair, I had a sick wife in the ER. 4 call-ins in 3 years isn't terrible.

Terrible? I'd say it's commendable. I probably call in 10 times a year, especially since I have my option days.

Anyways, little more on topic, supposed to be really cold by Florida standards again tomorrow so I'm looking at some serious peak OT from all the call ins.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
im going on 28 yrs now,,i skip lunch when im in the mood,, i average aroung 150 to 2 hrs of bonus a day,, management repects me,,

I dont have a problem with someone who skips their lunch....as long as they are honest about it when they turn in their timecard.

When you skip your lunch, are you honest about it? Or do you falsify your timecard and lie about it?

Does your management team "respect you" enough to allow you to be truthful about how much lunch you actually took? Or do they conveniently overlook dishonest behavior as long as it makes them look good on paper?

Are you truly making "bonus"? Or are you simply receiving a cash bribe in exchange for falsifying a timecard and allowing the company to avoid paying overtime or making the correct hourly contributions to the pension and H&W funds?

I'm not slamming you or even criticizing you. I'm just wondering what the truth of your situation really is.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I dont have a problem with someone who skips their lunch....as long as they are honest about it when they turn in their timecard.

When you skip your lunch, are you honest about it? Or do you falsify your timecard and lie about it?

Does your management team "respect you" enough to allow you to be truthful about how much lunch you actually took? Or do they conveniently overlook dishonest behavior as long as it makes them look good on paper?

Are you truly making "bonus"? Or are you simply receiving a cash bribe in exchange for falsifying a timecard and allowing the company to avoid paying overtime or making the correct hourly contributions to the pension and H&W funds?

I'm not slamming you or even criticizing you. I'm just wondering what the truth of your situation really is.

Where I work the company pays a weekly sum for Pension and H&W even if you work 1 minute. Hours don't matter. Bonus is time and a half. I don't understand why someone would come in and set up their truck before start time. Skipping lunch I can understand especially if you have to take an hour. As for peak sucking it will starting tomorrow. We got hit today with a nice midwest storm. Let the EC's begin.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

id say about 90 percent of the time i am punched out with 7 hrs on the clock,, 9 am start,, punched out 4 pm ish,, most of the time with around a 9.0 to 9.5 planned day..unless i do a pay actual that lunch hr is meaningless.. granted, ive seen some demotivating cms who send those who come in early back out to help those that dont finish early,, that is a quick fix to a bonus driver,, however these types of center manager's never last long..