Peak

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Years ago before RPS, FedEx ground etc. Christmas peak would start in early October and run thru 1st week of January. Last year peak was only the 3 weeks before Christmas. You young guys don't know how lucky you have it!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Still breaking routes and giving people days off around here. My route is getting more spread out instead of compacting like it should this late in the year. Oh well, miles are money.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had 137 stops yesterday and started my helper today. 209 stops. My Center is planning on loading up residential drivers with stops and a helper and try to cut out the extra split routes for as long as possible. I was ticked today. I got off 189 with my helper, then I had to bailout another guy by taking twenty stops off him. Eleven hour day.

Volume is way down though. I started a helper a month earlier last year. We have a lot of empty Package Cars sitting around the Hub and our Preload is going down by 8AM instead of 8:40. I do EAMs before my regular route, and those stops are down too. I have never seen anything like this.

Overpaid Union Thug

Corporate is milking the bad economy. Using it as an excuse to cut out routes. It doesn't make since to use 20+ helpers in a center with 30 or more full-time drivers while some of them are laid off. Umm....cut out a chunk of the helpers and put more routes back on the road! If peak is slow then reduce the helpers. Not the drivers.

We used all but one (injury) full-time driver today so things aren't so bad here but management keeps telling us how many packages we are down from this time last year. We get the numbers read to us at least once a week for the past month. They are warning that we won't be using TCDs (part-timer drivers) this year and that some full-timers might have to be helpers. Then turn around and say that we will be using almost as many helpers as there are drivers. That never happens here because we have a bunch of rural routes that never get helpers. I just don't see the need for that many helpers if we aren't even going to need all of our drivers. Simple logic would dictate that we drop some loaders and run more routes.

over9five

Staff member
Corporate is milking the bad economy. Using it as an excuse to cut out routes. It doesn't make since to use 20+ helpers in a center with 30 or more full-time drivers while some of them are laid off. Umm....cut out a chunk of the helpers and put more routes back on the road! If peak is slow then reduce the helpers. Not the drivers.

You have helpers while friend/T drivers are laid off? Where is the Union???

barnyard

KTM rider
Things are snoozing around my center. I usually take vacation on Thanksgiving week. Have it scheduled for this year, but kind of need to work to catch up (my daughter spent 3 weeks at Mayo Clinic this past fall, she is fine now.) Talked to my supe about working that week this morning and he said, "maybe, we'll know the week before......"

TB

dillweed

We're down at least six trailers from where we should be. Just not seeing the number of Christmas type pkgs we have in the past.

Stop counts for drivers are way up, as they are cutting routes. No helpers being used yet.

It's said there will be no "peak" this year and rumors of driver lay-offs after the New Year.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Here, cutting routes, loading trucks w/200 + stops, FT and TCDs as helpers. Overall volume down, overloading anyone actually going out.

Could not come up with a better way to piss off everyone if they tried.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
This is the way it has always been 20 plus,, when volume is down they cut rtes let guys burn personals and and take V.L.O's then load every one else up>> they would rather pay o.t than put another car on road!! looks better on paper!! If we are slow,I can only imagine how bad things are at FEDEX!!!!

Arty S.

Sounds familiar here. 80% of our cover drivers here are back in the sort, many of which had been driving daily for years. Talk of full time layoffs in January. Heavy use of helpers, earlier than usual, and routes being dissolved. A couple "R days" being given out daily, but less and less are willing to take them now with the economy looking the way it is.

upswrench

Looking at this thread shows just how much people need to go get sales leads RIGHT NOW. There is no new bussiness but we can sure take DHL customers, I talked to 5 drivers last night and asked if they were getting sales leads and I can't believe how they responded it's like they do not want to try to get leads. Or don't care.

LiL"Comet"

Years ago before RPS, FedEx ground etc. Christmas peak would start in early October and run thru 1st week of January. Last year peak was only the 3 weeks before Christmas.

You young guys don't know how lucky you have it![/

As a middle age person I have a long way to retire with only 10 yrs in w/ this company..

Wow hope your only kidding!!! Lucky is that we would not be affected buy this terrible economy and still would be having a "NORMAL" peak season. That's lucky IMHO, there's people here so job scared its sad. Our building is cutting tdp, pkg runs, and laying off daily.

I hope we as individuals, our friends, families, co-workers, companies, and Americans can get through the tumultuous time as easy or as painless as possible. Crime is also going up because people will do whatever they have to do to feed there families or get there high and not care who they hurt in the process.

Daily I here of companies laying off all around us, and employee's are hoping they don't get laid off from there pt job here at ups. But the reality part is they probably will before its over... :peaceful:

Last edited:

evilleace

I wish we were slammed in my center the past two days volume has just picked up a little and we got all of our drivers back on the road today and a few helpers.