Penalty for a wrongly denied request?

iruhnman630

My svd request for tomorrow was denied 'by seniority.'

That's fine, except for the lower seniority driver who got his svd for tommorow.

Oops.

By The Book

My svd request for tomorrow was denied 'by seniority.'

That's fine, except for the lower seniority driver who got his svd for tommorow.

Oops.
Did you put in your request far enough in advance?, if you have to? This game goes on and on how they deny your seniority...why do we put up with the bs?

iruhnman630

I went in Thursday morning ( I was on vacation) before start time to turn in the request and sign a route bid.

8 days ahead.

The text I from dispatch specifically said denied 'by seniority,' not turned in too late.

Both stewards are aware of it.

It was probably a mistake.

By The Book

I went in Thursday morning ( I was on vacation) before start time to turn in the request and sign a route bid.

8 days ahead.

The text I from dispatch specifically said denied 'by seniority,' not turned in too late.

Both stewards are aware of it.

It was probably a mistake.
The mistake they'll continue to make, because there's nothing in the contract that makes them pay money for it. No need to go out of your way to please them for a while.

iruhnman630

The lower seniority driver was planning on calling off Friday. Per the contract, call-in is forced to use svd if available. That is why he was added to the calender for svd for Friday, after my svd had been denied.

In other words, just call in every time.

iruhnman630

Being able to take necessary time off to maintain life outside of UPS is, to me, a health and wellness issue and should be accommodated whenever possible.

If, however, those requests cannot be granted legitimately by seniority, then it should just be a call-in day unless an option or svd day is available.

Last edited:

Nimnim

The Nim
I know this isn't going to be a normal situation, but say your best mate is getting married and wants you in the wedding party. You give your request 3 months in advance and management oks it. 2 weeks before the wedding a senior driver has a championship softball game their child is playing in, and management tells you that your previously approved request is now denied because someone more senior wants the day off.

Both are valid reasons to want a day off, but would you really be ok in that situation? I used those examples as weddings are usually planned in advance and championships for sporting events aren't set until much closer to the game itself as the preceding games still need to be played.