Pension after 25, 30 or 35 years?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm not sure what the early retirement is now, but it probably is best to retire early as possible. but if your going to retire early, make sure you start to save NOW!!!
Max out on your 401K, pre tax and post tax. Look into the Roth IRA. There won't be any tax advantage in the Roth, but max it out anyway. max everything you can. You'll naturally adjust to your net income. you'll also have a pretty good account when your able to retire too! If you put it off for a while and start dipping your toe with a smaller contribution, you'll cut your savings a lot in the end. Max out now, you won't regret it. The only problem that will arise (depending on your age now), you won't be able to start taking distributions till 59 1/2. Worry about that later. Save the money NOW!!
Don't count on anything from the Teamsters after you retire.

twoweeled

Maybe for Teamsters but I do.
Good pension from a fully funded source.
Insurance I don't pay for except co-pays.
I get your point, but nowadays. Company's are only funded, till they say they are no longer funded. Laws protected retirees from companies claiming a sort of insolvency, are firm laws till we find out they are not as firm as we thought. Companies are now circumventing laws like there is no tomorrow. The only secure position, would be if you could fit (and ride with) under David Abney's Golden parachute. You think there's a spot there for you? If there is - You and I are tight, right? LOL!
Nothing is written in granite.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I get your point, but nowadays. Company's are only funded, till they say they are no longer funded. Laws protected retirees from companies claiming a sort of insolvency, are firm laws till we find out they are not as firm as we thought. Companies are not circumventing laws like there is no tomorrow. The only secure position, would be if you could fit (and ride with) under David Abney's Golden parachute. You think there's a spot there for you? If there is - You and I are tight, right? LOL!

UPS is not going anywhere.

twoweeled

UPS is not going anywhere.
Probably not. your probably correct. But I'm not betting there won't be some huge changes, shenanigans, name changes or other strategery (as Bush would say). I never thought Sears would be in the position it is now. Penny's isn't doing great either. I don't even think Pan Am and TWA are around anymore.
Damn, I am Oooold!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Probably not. your probably correct. But I'm not betting there won't be some huge changes, shenanigans, name changes or other strategery (as Bush would say). I never thought Sears would be in the position it is now. Penny's isn't doing great either. I don't even think Pan Am and TWA are around anymore.
Damn, I am Oooold!!!

Small package will become just another division within UPS Inc. Logistics will be the money maker.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I get your point, but nowadays. Company's are only funded, till they say they are no longer funded. Laws protected retirees from companies claiming a sort of insolvency, are firm laws till we find out they are not as firm as we thought. Companies are now circumventing laws like there is no tomorrow. The only secure position, would be if you could fit (and ride with) under David Abney's Golden parachute. You think there's a spot there for you? If there is - You and I are tight, right? LOL!
My pension's funds are not shared with hundreds of companies that went out of business ... For which I feel lucky and thankful.
I built my retirement on a four legged stool so I can weather a few disappointments.

Last edited:

twoweeled

My pension's funds are not shared with hundreds of companies that went out of business ... For which I fell lucky and thankful.
I built my retirement on a four legged stool so I can weather a few disappointments.
Yep. Not over excited about the sharing either. I have a bit save also. But loosing the pension would probably put a hit on my present lifestyle, but I'll adapt.
1248522231_d572078d07_o.jpg

Pismo Bill

My pension's funds are not shared with hundreds of companies that went out of business ... For which I feel lucky and thankful.
and thats how ups treats the real workers, the ones that make the money not sit around and point fingers