Pension Buyout Offer is Less than Expected

therealist

Worked 9 years and 11 months for UPS, mostly part-time. The last year employment was full-time. My pension buyout offer is only $34,009.85. My current age is 46. My start date is 2/21/2005 and my termination date is 2/1/2015 benefit start date is 12/1/2016. I have former co-workers with only 5 years vested part-time receiving more. Something isn't quite adding up. Any advise.

Michael Jones

I worked part-time 10 years 7 months. Benefit level was 11 years. I was offered 50'000 at age 52.75 or 249.00 a month for life. I also could name beneficiary for 245 a month with 120 months guaranteed(approx 35,000) if I died soon after. I believe they factor age, interest rates, and mortality rates(by 2017-2018 age may increase which is used to calculate mortality rates UPS probably using low numbers IRS is reviewing it). I did average around 27 hours a week for at least 5 years on outskirts of building a lot more than other part-time workers. Also, got 80-100 hours helping drivers at Christmas for 3-4 years. My relative got a 35,000 lump sum offer for her 500 dollar a month pension at age 65 for a medical company. She didn"t take it and said she was never offered it again. My monthly pension at age 65 is 605.00 a month. I didn't even think you could apply for part-time pension till age 50 and I figured it would start extremely low and go up incrementally each year. I inquired recently at age 52.25 they estimated approx monthly amount now is 198.00. Four months later with lump sum offer my monthly amount is 249.00. I believe the lump sum offers are for employees who left after 2003 but before 2016. Prove you can do it and UPS will give you an additional truck or two too load on top of your original workload. I carry some unresolved resentments towards UPS in general and some former bosses who thought it was okay to bitch out an employee already loading 4-5 trucks for little to no reason at all. It is tempting to get something guaranteed now or the 120 month guarantee for beneficiary because I have general health concerns which may affect life expectancy. I developed a bad disk in lower back over 10 years working in unsafe conditions at times and then being blamed for my back issues when they did a brief retraining. I learned not to sign or initial when they blamed me for not following their safety methods(REFUSE TO SIGN). I am 6 feet tall and loaded a small package truck with an 18 inch step up into a door only about 5 feet tall contracting my back about 100 times a day for 5-7 years. Still holding onto resentments 10 plus years after leaving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Worked 9 years and 11 months for UPS, mostly part-time. The last year employment was full-time. My pension buyout offer is only $34,009.85. My current age is 46. My start date is 2/21/2005 and my termination date is 2/1/2015 benefit start date is 12/1/2016. I have former co-workers with only 5 years vested part-time receiving more. Something isn't quite adding up. Any advise.

Are those former co-workers older or younger than you?

Junkguy

Your age factors into the value of your pension so that could be the difference in your friends.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
yo
u should speak to a person at the pension office and a CPA for starters. actually, all the calculations should be spelled out in the pension book that they mail out. anyway that is the way it is done in the western conference. I knew approximately what my pension would be by using the worksheets in the book they sent me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

yo

u should speak to a person at the pension office and a CPA for starters. actually, all the calculations should be spelled out in the pension book that they mail out. anyway that is the way it is done in the western conference. I knew approximately what my pension would be by using the worksheets in the book they sent me.

We are talking about pension buyouts here.

TTKU

Woodstock WV

Worked 18 years
15 Full time
Was offered $13,500 lump sum.
Just talked to a buddy who worked 7 years was offered $39,000.
Anybody know how they calculate the amount?

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Yes guys. Don't take the buyouts...wait until they reduce ur pension by 80% Good luck