people quittting

Bottom rung

Wanna keep employees? Treat them like humans. Simple as that. Everyone is so quick to point out that the young one's are lazy whiners, it's not that way here. Harrasment and the enormous work load is what leads to turnover here.

onewithedd

Could it possibly be VERY POOR training? Day 1,2 & 3, here load this ONE truck it's pretty straight forward. Look at this little label it's called a spa label tells you the route and where to put it. day 4 your on your own with these 3 trucks. Day 5. You wanna explain why you had 11 mis-loads this is unacceptable, you need to do better!!! Huh! I wonder why so much turnover?

This company has absolutely NO Leadership left from the top down!

Box Ox

Wanna keep employees? Treat them like humans. Simple as that. Everyone is so quick to point out that the young one's are lazy whiners, it's not that way here. Harrasment and the enormous work load is what leads to turnover here.

When ORION hit my center, routes got much heavier and loaders got hit that much harder. Don't think it'll be going back to how it was just a few years ago. And that's probably the idea. Can cut routes and save big $$ by not having to pay benefits.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I am curious to what the "COST" is.
UPS doesn't do drug tests.
UPS doesn't do background checks.
They advertise a little, have a group of people walk the building.
those who come back get hired.
HR person gets paid the same....
Don't tell me the "paper work" or they should cut back on warning letters, lol.
They factor in the training costs and the cost of paying them in their first 30 days.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Could it possibly be VERY POOR training? Day 1,2 & 3, here load this ONE truck it's pretty straight forward. Look at this little label it's called a spa label tells you the route and where to put it. day 4 your on your own with these 3 trucks. Day 5. You wanna explain why you had 11 mis-loads this is unacceptable, you need to do better!!! Huh! I wonder why so much turnover?
AMEN. We aren't allowed to code anybody as training. Even on their first day. They tie our hands and set new guys up for failure.

HardknocksUPSer

It's like the marines, my center manager told me as a seasonal "we don't need many, just a few good men"

10 point

There has always been a high turnover rate in the major Hubs.

Not so much, in the small centers.

Despite other opinions....

Now, it's a generational thing.

Kids these days, don't (or have ever had to) work.

5 years ago, the company still had a "clean in and out" policy for cell phones.

(for part-timers)

Now.... part-timers will quit, if they can't check it every 5 minutes.

-Bug-
47-50% turnover rate on our (small extended center) preload this year.

10 point

Yes, but we're still not talking about much more than 55. The actual processing and paperwork takes only about 20 more minutes.
We had to go out of town to get fingerprinted.
Wat? We have to go on our own time.
We get paid. It's not a DOT exam. It's what the company requires to run the shuttles to airports. Any driver (ft pkg car) can drive it but if the co requires the certification then we get paid just like becoming a hazmat responder...the training is paid for.