people quittting

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know about that. I am under the impression that not one dime flows from Ups to the Teamsters for any one worker until that worker hits his five year anniversary. Once that happens, UPS gives the teamsters 5 years of pension monies . By the way, at that point, the worker is vested. So more money in the pension, but one more worker.

If a worker quits before his 5 year anniversary, the Teamsters get nothing from UPS, in regards to a pension contribution on behalf of this worker.

That's the way I understand it to be. I could be wrong.

UPS pays pension contributions on every employee as soon as they become eligible. The Union gets to keep all of that money in the pension fund paid on behalf of any employee who leaves before becoming vested.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think they will try to tier the benefits as well.

correct, but health care will be gone. Teamster knew all along they would dump us all into ObamaCare under the guise they cant sustain our "cadillac plan" They will claim to be forced by the current regime.[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely not true.

MendozaJ

I don't think they will try to tier the benefits as well.

correct, but health care will be gone. Teamster knew all along they would dump us all into ObamaCare under the guise they cant sustain our "cadillac plan" They will claim to be forced by the current regime.

The employer mandate requires UPS to provide health insurance to a minimum 95% of its full time employees. Read the law.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The employer mandate requires UPS to provide health insurance to a minimum 95% of its full time employees. Read the law.

...or make arrangements to ensure coverage is provided....UPS is no longer in the healthcare business but is contractually obligated to pay a negotiated amount per hour in to both our health and pension funds....the union then uses these funds to get the best bang for their buck....welcome to Teamcare.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The healthcare benefits aren't going anywhere and neither will there be a two tier wage system. These rumors have been floating around for years. If ups wanted those things, they could of easily forced these issues in the last negotiations or the previous. They could of dug their heels in and forced the union to threaten strike. They didn't even though they know Union voting is at it's lowest it's ever been.

Both sides can't afford to rock the boat on either of these.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The healthcare benefits aren't going anywhere and neither will there be a two tier wage system. These rumors have been floating around for years. If ups wanted those things, they could of easily forced these issues in the last negotiations or the previous. They could of dug their heels in and forced the union to threaten strike. They didn't even though they know Union voting is at it's lowest it's ever been.

Both sides can't afford to rock the boat on either of these.

I agree with you that about the healthcare; however, where we disagree is on the need for UPS to become more competitive with Ground. I think we can both agree that at this point Express is not a major concern. Ground has proven that the job can be done in a satisfactory manner at 1/3-1/2 of the labor cost. Ground is expanding while our growth is stagnant or minimal at best.

I see a 5 year progression with a $25/hr top out.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
im seeing so many people quiting at my ups location after a year of being there, i dont understand why?

There has always been a high turnover rate in the major Hubs.

Not so much, in the small centers.

Despite other opinions....

Now, it's a generational thing.

Kids these days, don't (or have ever had to) work.

5 years ago, the company still had a "clean in and out" policy for cell phones.

(for part-timers)

Now.... part-timers will quit, if they can't check it every 5 minutes.

-Bug-

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I agree with you that about the healthcare; however, where we disagree is on the need for UPS to become more competitive with Ground. I think we can both agree that at this point Express is not a major concern. Ground has proven that the job can be done in a satisfactory manner at 1/3-1/2 of the labor cost. Ground is expanding while our growth is stagnant or minimal at best.

I see a 5 year progression with a $25/hr top out.
It's not going to happen. If they wanted it, they would have forced the issue the last few contracts. The union will not let them drop the wage $10 down and start a downward spiral towards a FedEx ground wage.
Our growth isn't stagnant at all. Ground volume has grown every year. FedEx ground has nowhere to go but up since ups holds the majority market share.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not going to happen. If they wanted it, they would have forced the issue the last few contracts. The union will not let them drop the wage $10 down and start a downward spiral towards a FedEx ground wage.
Our growth isn't stagnant at all. Ground volume has grown every year. FedEx ground has nowhere to go but up since ups holds the majority market share.

The lower wage and longer progression would only affect new hires.

Overpaid Union Thug

There has always been a high turnover rate in the major Hubs.

Not so much, in the small centers.

Despite other opinions....

Now, it's a generational thing.

Kids these days, don't (or have ever had to) work.

5 years ago, the company still had a "clean in and out" policy for cell phones.

(for part-timers)

Now.... part-timers will quit, if they can't check it every 5 minutes.

-Bug-

My small center doesn't enforce any kind of cell phone policy. Maybe that's why turnover is so low? LOL! But it is a tiny center though. They are typically low turnover buildings like you said. The work load for a part-time in an extended center is a small fraction of a hub part-timer's. When I switched from a hub to an extended center it was a shock for me. I am standing there my first night loading just one trailer without having to scan any packages and thinking "Is this it? This is all I have to do all night?" But it wasn't all night. We had to hand wash the trucks just to get our 3.5 hours. Whats amazing though is that nowadays the local sort guys think they have it so rough. None of them would last a week in a hub loading 3 (or more) trailers that are gravity fed for 4.5 solid hours. Extended centers typically have it made compared to the hubs.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
When I see 4 different FedEx drivers (Express,ground, 2 home delivery) every day on my one route, I'm not sure that's a money maker.
I have 6 fedex routes on mine. Eventually their low cost model will have to do a few things. Either rase their rates or force cuts on what the route owners get. Fred can't keep that model forever. And if he wants big profits, that's the only two options. He's gutting express like that now.
I've seen ground come in on accounts and offer a lower rate where they actually lose money on each package just to get volume. That's not sustainable. At least ups will not take a package unless they make money on it.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have 6 fedex routes on mine. Eventually their low cost model will have to do a few things. Either rase their rates or force cuts on what the route owners get. Fred can't keep that model forever. And if he wants big profits, that's the only two options. He's gutting express like that now.
I've seen ground come in on accounts and offer a lower rate where they actually lose money on each package just to get volume. That's not sustainable. At least ups will not take a package unless they make money on it.
Here the Ground drivers are stretched so thin they'll deliver commercial stops in our industrial park long after the shipping/receiving crews have left. It's a normal thing for them to come to work the next day and find FDX Ground packages sitting on their docks that were signed for by the driver.