Pepper Spray

McFeely

Huge Member
I could not care less about a chilly reception from a homeowner.

Agreed! I had a different customer that had a sign on her garage that said something to the effect of "Beware of dog. Stay in your vehicle and HONK when you arrive so we can put the dog inside"

And wouldn't you know it, I delivered to that house during peak in the dark and didn't see the sign. Gotta love knowing you have a vicious dog on the loose and openly admitting it will bite you. Another address I won't deliver to...

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This dog was also up to date on its shots and most likely would not have been put down.

The Union would have paid for his lawyer.

The only downside would have been the chilly reception he would have received from the homeowner on future deliveries.
I think part of the reason I don't care about the chilly response is because I'm at the point where I'm pissed at those kind of dog owners. When I first went back to work after my bite, I was a basket case. I used to laugh when people talked about PTSD after incidents (except from war), until I had an uncontrollable melt down when the first dog charged me upon my return. Took me 20 minutes to get myself together. It got better over time, and now I'm fine. It's not just the physical wound.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I could not care less about a chilly reception from a homeowner. Control your dogs. Just that simple. As delivery people, we shouldn't have to be apprehensive every time we go up to a house that has dogs. Part of being a responsible dog owner is being able to control them.

We have a driver who until just recently was still living at home, which is on my area. His parents put in one of those electric fences for their psychotic dog and I used to enjoy walking right up to the edge and taunting him until they told me that he sometimes runs through it.

The dog has since died. I heard they threw the carcass in to a dumpster and moved on.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We have a driver who until just recently was still living at home, which is on my area. His parents put in one of those electric fences for their psychotic dog and I used to enjoy walking right up to the edge and taunting him until they told me that he sometimes runs through it.

The dog has since died. I heard they threw the carcass in to a dumpster and moved on.
I don't trust those fences AT ALL. Batteries die. Dogs run through them, just as you said.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a dog on my route who is always so excited to see me. He won't cross the line for the "fence" even though he doesn't wear the shock collar anymore. He will stand on his hind legs behind it. Lol.

Locally the installer will put little flags in the ground along the trench where they buried the cable to alert the dog as to how far they can go.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
This dog was also up to date on its shots and most likely would not have been put down.

The only downside would have been the chilly reception he would have received from the homeowner on future deliveries.
Well 'ya know what?

Too bad. It's their fault to begin with. If they don't like it, quit using FedEx.

That simple.

bacha29

That's the problem. People get those damn killer dogs but fail to consider the liability that goes with it. As a result they don't have a nickels worth of liability insurance as was the case with the two occasions when I was bitten. Sadly for the dogs owners they had to learn the hard way the need to have such coverage. In fact I read where at least one insurer stated publicly that if a homeowner gets one of those damn things but fails to notify the insurer then if the dogs attacks and kills or injures an individual on the premises for law purposes the insurer will not cover the claim under the clients homeowners liability clause. It's the dog owners responsibility to understand and comply will animal control laws and obtain the necessary coverage.As for the "Beware Of Dog" sign. All they're are doing is announcing to the public that they have a dog with the proven capacity to injure people. How the service provider chooses to respond to the matter is up to the individual including not going onto the property to begin with.

bacha29

"Beware of Dog" signs DO NOT remove their liability in the event of a dog bite.
Right. It does not absolve them from liability but for some reason some people believe that it does and that putting up that stupid sign is a low cost alternative to liability insurance. One city I know of requires that if an individual owns a dog that is determined to be hostile through one criteria or another has to go down to city hall register the dog and show evidence that it has the required shots along with proof that they the owner have at least $ 50,000 of liability insurance. A very good requirement indeed. If you can't afford to get some liability insurance , you can't afford the animal.

whenIgetthere

I installed one of those fences for a dog about fifteen years ago, when the urge is great, the dog will go right thru the affected area. After my dog was trained and wouldn't come thru the area, one day he was outside with me when some deer went by in the woods out back. He shot out there faster than I had ever seen him run, and chased those deer for at least a mile. Had a permanent fence installed about a week later. They can also cause aggression in some dogs.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

What damages would he be seeking? All of the damages in any of those cases I've ever been involved with were covered under the workers' compensation process.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
As to the original question, carry the pepper spray with you if you feel the need to do so. The odds that you'll ever have to answer for using it are heavily in your favor. I'd rather sign one warning letter instead of a bunch of medical paperwork.

bacha29

What damages would he be seeking? All of the damages in any of those cases I've ever been involved with were covered under the workers' compensation process.
In the case of Ground contractors who drove their own routes, they were not covered under work comp but rather under a work accident policy that carried a $500 deductible and unlike work comp the weekly benefits were taxable.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My pay out from the homeowner's insurance was $15,000. After lawyer's cut and repayment of bills, etc, I ended up with $9,100 for pain and suffering. Not too shabby.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Workman's comp usually only covers 70% of you pay at best. Do you wanna pay the other 30% plus additional medical expenses?

Use your head.