Perfect scenario

Scuderia1

Just on the way home close to 9:30. Today was a disaster my 3rd ride with sup. I drove for a little bit then sup took over after 25 min. We were falling behind. The area is fresh I live in kind of rural/city area. I am not use to one ways and small streets that branches into like 50 streets. It was really hard and frustrating, the more frustrated I got the more stupid the mistakes were. The sup told me to relax for 2 days and tAke Thursday and Friday off. I will use those two days to really get know the area drive there and really know the area. I am very bad with a map. Any suggestions on how I can really know the area and learn north west south east? Open to anything.

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
No, that is why you have 30 days.
First 3 days are with on-car.
first day sup drives you watch and learn the board. Second day you should drive on area and drive and deliver a couple of hours while on-car observes, then on-car drives for a bit and then you drive back to building. Day 3 you drive all day and on-car observes.

Day 4 and 5 you should be on your own. Day 6 on-car is with you to observe. Day 7-10 on your own.
After day 10, on-car should be with you one day a week to observe and advise you of what you need work on up to day 25.

Between day 25 and 30 if they feel you have qualified you will then ride with center manager and DM to give their blessing
Now you know dam well that aint happening lol.

UPSGUY72

You get 5 days with sup,,then a sup on an off again for the next few weeks,then a ride with the center manager and Dm ??
Wow how things have changed !! I got a 3 day ride with a sup and a map and a go get em ! I guess the 80's are ovah !!!

I think I got 2 1/2 days a Map and then the old you be OK. Now when I'm doing a route I never done before I get don't worry about it you'll figure it out if you have a problem call so and so....

JL 0513

Just on the way home close to 9:30. Today was a disaster my 3rd ride with sup. I drove for a little bit then sup took over after 25 min. We were falling behind. The area is fresh I live in kind of rural/city area. I am not use to one ways and small streets that branches into like 50 streets. It was really hard and frustrating, the more frustrated I got the more stupid the mistakes were. The sup told me to relax for 2 days and tAke Thursday and Friday off. I will use those two days to really get know the area drive there and really know the area. I am very bad with a map. Any suggestions on how I can really know the area and learn north west south east? Open to anything.

Sent using BrownCafe App

What's your biggest challenge? Navigating streets? Learning businesses? So are you good with the DIAD and package selection?

On top of driving your area, sit down and really study a map of your area. Make sure it's a clear map with all street names clearly written. Try and make mental connections to help you remember how streets connect.

Get a compass if you feel you need help with direction.

Do you have a smartphone? It can be a lifesaver if you get stuck. Can't use it with a sup around though.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Sent using BrownCafe App
Some routes are harder than others. Everything is about repetition son, youll get it eventually. One of the best things to do when your riding with supe is to take notes while you guys are figuring out the are. If you have to on your day off,:peaceful: ride around and take notes as you map out area. That's the hardest part when your trying to train and qualify, you have to learn how to drive the truck correctly, learn the diad and learn the route. If you get flustered, stop the truck for a couple minutes and take a mental break and get yourself together soldier. The key is you don't want to get to nervous and flustered and wind up getting hurt or into a wreck. A lot of times its just quicker to call another driver for questions on directions. Most of the other guys if they are decent and cool wont care if you call them for help. I always tell the younger guys I don't care if you call me 50 times during the day, that's what im here for because ive been you before. Plus it probably helps I have that supervisor type mentality as a leader because I like to help people and had a life before ups in supervision. And the answer to the question that's playing in your mind as your reading this is, no not all the drivers would be cool as I would be to the rookies. But im sure there is a lot of guys that are really cool in the area where your delivering. Its frustrating at first youngblood, but youll be ok trust me, we've all been down that rocky road. Keep your head up son. :peaceful:

Scuderia1

Thanks guys. I must admit. The advice I get here is practical and in most cases better then orientation. I got scared and thought I would be fired. He told me I was stressed and and should take a break for 2 days. I guess a compass would help me in beginning.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Scuderia1

Navigating through the streets. I forget where I am all the time and numbers. Hghs and lows, sometimes where I have to make a left, I make a right vice versa.

Sent using BrownCafe App

32F driver

Good, solid advice from jumpman. Don't be afraid to ask questions. As stated, we've all been where you are now at. Keep in mind, the sun rises in the east & sets in the west.

Some routes are harder than others. Everything is about repetition son, youll get it eventually. One of the best things to do when your riding with supe is to take notes while you guys are figuring out the are. If you have to on your day off,:peaceful: ride around and take notes as you map out area. That's the hardest part when your trying to train and qualify, you have to learn how to drive the truck correctly, learn the diad and learn the route. If you get flustered, stop the truck for a couple minutes and take a mental break and get yourself together soldier. The key is you don't want to get to nervous and flustered and wind up getting hurt or into a wreck. A lot of times its just quicker to call another driver for questions on directions. Most of the other guys if they are decent and cool wont care if you call them for help. I always tell the younger guys I don't care if you call me 50 times during the day, that's what im here for because ive been you before. Plus it probably helps I have that supervisor type mentality as a leader because I like to help people and had a life before ups in supervision. And the answer to the question that's playing in your mind as your reading this is, no not all the drivers would be cool as I would be to the rookies. But im sure there is a lot of guys that are really cool in the area where your delivering. Its frustrating at first youngblood, but youll be ok trust me, we've all been down that rocky road. Keep your head up son. :peaceful:
Who wrote this post? sure wasnt Jumpman! Somebody must have hacked his account. Its all In plain Englih. WTF? :didimiss:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You just have to try and be calm, that's all. Tell yourself you can do this and you will be ok. The power of being mentally positive or mentally negative can help or hurt you. Go to the place in your mind where its positive. Youd be surprised how far positive thoughts and self motivation can help you succeed in many things in life you thought weren't possible for you to do or accomplish. Its all in how you look at things. If you want to be successful in something you have to batten down the hatches and ride it through the good and bad, and if you do, you will end up where you want to be. Like I said if you have to take a mental break and regroup, theres nothing wrong with that. Trust me we all need a mental minute or 2 or 3 or whatever the count is to regroup or recharge our minds or body. Its all about resetting your mental state when you have to.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Funny-Animals-the-finger.jpg
Who wrote this post? sure wasnt Jumpman! Somebody must have hacked his account. Its all In plain Englih. WTF? :didimiss:
LMFAO

Rainman

Its all good.
When I try to remember something I try to write it down. Maybe I friend you sit down and try to draw a map of your area that might help you learn it easier. Don't worry if you have to look at a map some as you draw your own. It's all part of the learning process.

Have the sup give you a copy of the delivery records when y'all drove together. Then you can retrace the area how you did it before and that might help you learn quicker.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

The most important thing I learned in PC was to slow down and be smooth. You'll make up time by not clipping curbs and dumping shelves, grabbing the right package the first time,etc.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The more time you got out there the easier it becomes...we all got thru it just don't panic and get Parcelitis !! The day will always end some how !! good luck to you ,,the school of hard knocks is best for everyone !!