perfumes/colognes

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
You and I are alot alike Satellite except that I don't sweat much, even on the hottest days. I haven't worn any type of cologne in years. Sometimes my wife will come up to me after I get home and ask " Are you sure you went to work today? You smell fresh as a daisy."

Big Babooba

Dirty, yes.
That damn black aluminum oxide from the shelves is all over me and it does have a "scent".
Overweight people seem to wear more " scents".
Here's something interesting about aluminum & deodorants.
From NaturalNews.com

According to Ms. Garland most commercial brands of antiperspirants and deodorants contain either aluminum chlorohydrate or aluminum zirconium. These compounds are very soluble and are readily absorbed by the body. Once in the body, the aluminum portion of the molecule ionizes, forming free radical aluminum (Al+++) This passes freely across cell membranes and forms a physical plug, that when dissolved is selectively absorbed by the liver, kidney, brain, cartilage and bone marrow. It is this concentration of aluminum that has been the source for concern in the medical community, and has prompted the research being done on Alzheimer's disease and Breast Cancer victims. The human body has a few areas that it uses to purge toxins: Behind the knees, ears, groin area and armpits. The toxins are purged in the form of perspiration.
Antiperspirant, as the name clearly indicates, prevents you from perspiring, thereby inhibiting the body from purging toxins from below the armpits. These toxins do not magically disappear. Instead the body deposits them in the lymph nodes below the arms since it cannot sweat them out. This causes a high concentration of toxins that leads to cell mutation a.k.a. Cancer. Nearly all Breast Cancer tumors occur in the upper outside quadrant of the breast area. This is where lymph nodes are located.
Your best alternative, according to Tia Coatoam a registered nurse at the Meadville, PA Medical Center, is one of the new “crystal deodorant stones”. These stones are 3 times more effective than commercial deodorants, they are not sticky or greasy and do not stain clothing. The crystal deodorant stone does not contain any aluminum or other harsh chemicals, perfumes, oils, emulsifiers, alcohol or propellants and are hypoallergenic. Although the crystal deodorant stones are still hard to find in local stores, they can be found online

over9five

Staff member
Old Spice! You beat me to it, More!

We had one guy who must have bathed in cologne. Made me ill. Even had several customers mention his smell to me.

I don't wear any cologne. All it is is perfume for men. Real Men do not wear perfume!

Big Babooba

One point that hasn't been discussed (I don't think) is the fact that the person who showers in cologne/perfume may not even realize that their overuse of these products may infringe on the senses of those around him/her. We have several drivers in my bldg who smell as though they have showered in cologne rather than water but I have found that if you pull them to the side and mention this to them politely they tend to say that they didn't realize and thank you for bringing it to their attention. Then again, there is always that person who thinks that they smell good and brag about their affect on persons of the opposite sex. I have always personally found that less is more, whether it be in the use of cologne/perfume or in their wardrobe choices (less skin leaves more to the imagination IMO).
People can be desensitized to scents from their everyday lives. I had a lady on my route who had 23 cats. The house was always clean and the cats were well taken care of. When you entered her house, you knew that she had cats by the smell. She couldn't smell anything. I also had a sewage treatment plant on my route and the office smelled like a sewer. The employees couldn't smell it. I also have a friend who has reoccuring nasal polyps. Every few years, he has them removed. As a result of all his operatiuons, he has very little sense of taste or smell.

trickpony1

Here's something interesting about aluminum & deodorants.
From NaturalNews.com

According to Ms. Garland most commercial brands of antiperspirants and deodorants contain either aluminum chlorohydrate or aluminum zirconium. These compounds are very soluble and are readily absorbed by the body. Once in the body, the aluminum portion of the molecule ionizes, forming free radical aluminum (Al+++) This passes freely across cell membranes and forms a physical plug, that when dissolved is selectively absorbed by the liver, kidney, brain, cartilage and bone marrow. It is this concentration of aluminum that has been the source for concern in the medical community, and has prompted the research being done on Alzheimer's disease and Breast Cancer victims. The human body has a few areas that it uses to purge toxins: Behind the knees, ears, groin area and armpits. The toxins are purged in the form of perspiration.
Antiperspirant, as the name clearly indicates, prevents you from perspiring, thereby inhibiting the body from purging toxins from below the armpits. These toxins do not magically disappear. Instead the body deposits them in the lymph nodes below the arms since it cannot sweat them out. This causes a high concentration of toxins that leads to cell mutation a.k.a. Cancer. Nearly all Breast Cancer tumors occur in the upper outside quadrant of the breast area. This is where lymph nodes are located.
Your best alternative, according to Tia Coatoam a registered nurse at the Meadville, PA Medical Center, is one of the new “crystal deodorant stones”. These stones are 3 times more effective than commercial deodorants, they are not sticky or greasy and do not stain clothing. The crystal deodorant stone does not contain any aluminum or other harsh chemicals, perfumes, oils, emulsifiers, alcohol or propellants and are hypoallergenic. Although the crystal deodorant stones are still hard to find in local stores, they can be found online

Babooba-
Thanks so much for posting this article. If I had posted it I would have been accused of living in a "hyperbaric chamber" in an attempt to avoid such hazards.
I once commented on the petroleum based product that everyone uses for chapped hands, lips and babies butts. In return I was told that people have been using this product for years without any health hazards and, it was implied, that the skin is not HIGHLY absorbant. I guess the accumlative affects can be rather subtle and once manifested, doesn't require a shred of evidence that the substance contributed to a catastrophic illness.
But what could i possibly know.....I'm just a truckdriver.
I'll head back to my hyperbaric chamber now.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
People can be desensitized to scents from their everyday lives. I had a lady on my route who had 23 cats. The house was always clean and the cats were well taken care of. When you entered her house, you knew that she had cats by the smell. She couldn't smell anything. I also had a sewage treatment plant on my route and the office smelled like a sewer. The employees couldn't smell it. I also have a friend who has reoccuring nasal polyps. Every few years, he has them removed. As a result of all his operatiuons, he has very little sense of taste or smell.

That's so true! Have you ever noticed that you can't smell your own cologne but everyone else's hits you like a punch in the face?

ON the other side of the coin is that on my route there are several buildings that have a no scented products policy due to some employees having allergies or what have you. There was this one time that I got into an elevator on the top floor of a high-rise, one floor down this heavy-set dude gets on and it's immediately obvious that he has taken the "no scented products" rule to heart as he absolutely reeked like B.O. Like, to the extent that I was nauseated. So, a couple of floors down he gets off, thankfully. Then, a couple of more floors down three smoking hot women get on the elevator and it's immediately apparent that they can smell that dude's disturbing essence but . . . there's only one sweaty UPS guy in the elevator! God, I wanted to shout "IT'S NOT ME!!!!"

Good times.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I used to have this one female customer that would ask if it was raining when I'd go in to make her delivery. I'd just tell her no it's only me sweating outside in the 95% humidity & 85 degree heat. She'd would then say she always like'd her guys hot & sweaty. She was definitely the one you'd like to get hot & sweaty with! Unfortunately she has known my wife for years.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I hardly ever wear cologne to work. And even if I do happen to squirt some on, I llook at myself stupid in the mirror and myslef why I just did that. who am I trying to impress. I'm married and no one else wants my problems.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
My woman loves the way I smell in the morning before going to work. She always asks "Who are you trying to smell good for?".....Women!

pappy234

you can tell when the drivers arrive in the morning....just by the way the building reaks of cologne...all you guys need is one squirt