permanent layoff

i've been with ups for five years now as a cover driver. recently we got a new boss and he told me to find a new job because i was the most worthless human being he's ever met. since the second week of january i've been 'laid off', or so he says, the issue is that there are three drivers with less seniority that have worked every single day. i've already filed grievances but my question is, is there anything that can be done to ensure i work? the boss knows i've filed grievances and when i call a supervisor to ask if theres a route for me everyday i ask if there are working people under me and they tell me yes but as per the boss i'm 'laidoff'. because grievances take ten months minimum to get paid on it's just killing me right now because obviously the boss has no fear of grievances if he's knowingly doing this. what can i do? is there any protection in the contract for extreme harassment like this? if he acknowledges that he's breaking the contract and not working me I feel like i should be getting paid every single week until he realizes that if he's gonna end up paying me he might as well work me. also, has anyone here ever filed a grievance for harassment? what does this actually get you? i have yet to do that because nothing really gets done anyway, all i want is to be working again as im on unemployment right now barely making ends meet, plus im required to apply to a ton of jobs a week because im on unemployment, i dont want another job, i just want to do my job and have everything go back to normal.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
i've been with ups for five years now as a cover driver. recently we got a new boss and he told me to find a new job because i was the most worthless human being he's ever met. since the second week of january i've been 'laid off', or so he says, the issue is that there are three drivers with less seniority that have worked every single day. i've already filed grievances but my question is, is there anything that can be done to ensure i work? the boss knows i've filed grievances and when i call a supervisor to ask if theres a route for me everyday i ask if there are working people under me and they tell me yes but as per the boss i'm 'laidoff'. because grievances take ten months minimum to get paid on it's just killing me right now because obviously the boss has no fear of grievances if he's knowingly doing this. what can i do? is there any protection in the contract for extreme harassment like this? if he acknowledges that he's breaking the contract and not working me I feel like i should be getting paid every single week until he realizes that if he's gonna end up paying me he might as well work me. also, has anyone here ever filed a grievance for harassment? what does this actually get you? i have yet to do that because nothing really gets done anyway, all i want is to be working again as im on unemployment right now barely making ends meet, plus im required to apply to a ton of jobs a week because im on unemployment, i dont want another job, i just want to do my job and have everything go back to normal.
@Brownslave688

Whats 9.5?

Wow. I have no idea but it seems like you should be working to me. Talk with a steward. I'm sure you'll get plenty more advice in a few min.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
image.gif

what don't you believe? i've talked to the steward, already filed grievances, still sitting on my ass. all the old timers are telling me to embrace it as im basically being paid to sit home since ill be getting money from the grievances eventually. only problem is that like i said, at least in my center, grievances take ages to get paid on

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

Your steward is OK with this? I'd be calling the BA and then the DM and then HR. After you call all these folks, I'd start calling the harassment hotline. Better not erase your calls to the center either, that way he can't say you've abandoned your job. I'd evenrecord your calls to the center if at all possible. If there is not more to the story, you've got a really good case for some other actions later on down the line.

Hope it works out for you though.

Are you a permanent full time seniority driver?
part time cover driver with 5 years seniority. hired as a cover driver 5 years ago off the streets. i've always worked 5 days a week except for really slow times when they'd give me a random monday off or so because they'd cut a bunch of routes

Your steward is OK with this? I'd be calling the BA and then the DM and then HR. After you call all these folks, I'd start calling the harassment hotline. Better not erase your calls to the center either, that way he can't say you've abandoned your job. I'd evenrecord your calls to the center if at all possible. If there is not more to the story, you've got a really good case for some other actions later on down the line.

Hope it works out for you though.
steward said that all i can do is file grievances. i never even knew about this harassment hotline, sounds like the next step. i talked to my steward asking if i can sue for harassment or something but i really dont know much about legal stuff, all I know is that the boss told me word for word he'd never work me again and that I need to find a new job

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
part time cover driver with 5 years seniority. hired as a cover driver 5 years ago off the streets. i've always worked 5 days a week except for really slow times when they'd give me a random monday off or so because they'd cut a bunch of routes
Here in our contract there is no "part time cover driver." It's either full time, air driver or TCD which is only allowed to be used summer and peak, ending at January 15th.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hired off the street explains a lot.

Id show up every day and demand work

Here in our contract there is no "part time cover driver." It's either full time, air driver or TCD which is only allowed to be used summer and peak, ending at January 15th.
yeah my centers a piece of :censored2: n uses cover drivers in place of full timers, we work all year round and cover sick days, vacations, and added routes if an area is especially heavy. theres 15 of us 'part-timers' and the top 10 (im in the top 10) work every single day

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
is ba the same as my steward?
No , ba stands for Buisness Agent. You need to physicaly go to your union hall and speak to your ba personally, then, you need to be in touch with your hall on a daily basis and file a new grievance every day you do not work, you should have your union rep informed this is a major problem and you want it resolved ASAP.

Did you have a steward with you when the center manager told you that?
as a matter of fact one of them was there. this was a couple months ago, before peak actually that he said that but he continued to use me for peak. as soon as the conversation ended i asked my steward about filing a harassment grievance but was told that they dont really do anything