Personal attacks

DS

Fenderbender
I agree...rather than bashing each other let's go after the competition. If they win...we all lose jobs.
Yea Steffie,you said it...my idea was intended to
increase production while increasing profits and I`m
dissmissed as a crackhead.Well just to inform you,
I`ve only seen crack on TV,and it was probobly fake.
[quote DS,CEO]
We all know the driver is the backbone of ups,
why not give him the tools to help us grow...

helenofcalifornia

DS, you gotta admit that that "smoking crack" comment was hilarious!!! Man, I just got home (8:15), checked in with the kids and dogs, showered and hit the Cafe. I have not laughed that hard all day long. Funny!!! Personally, I think UPS should cut shipping rates to regain a lot of our lost business. God knows if UPS was serious about getting business back, all they have to do is cut rates and watch business fly back.

ups_vette

Helen...Do you believe the shipper who ships 10 packages a day pays the same rate as the shipper who ships 1,000 packages a day? Or does that 1,000 package a day shipper pay the same rate as the 10,000 package a day shipper pay?

The UPS published Rate Chart is only the begining of what a customer pays. Every account is analyzed to determine the cost of handling their packages, and the rates will be adjusted downward based on what the cost is to deliver. Our large shippers are charged what is refered to as cost plus. That is what the actual cost is plus a perentage profit. The more you ship the lower your rate. So UPS does lower it's rates, depending on the amount of volume. Very few shippers actually pay the posted rate on the Rate Chart.

Sammie

Correct. The analyzing to determine costs is what I did during
my final years with UPS. We do provide our shippers with offers they can't refuse.

good2me

Correct. The analyzing to determine costs is what I did during
my final years with UPS. We do provide our shippers with offers they can't refuse.

Actually, FedX is the one throwing rates around that the customers can't refuse! That should have all of us concerned! They are "buying" customers with rates that they know we can't match...our cost structure is too different. We need to have the absolute best service and create value for our customers that way....we won't win the price war.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree, we always win with our superior service. How about we be allowed to do that again instead of running a race all day long?

dammor

I agree. It appears that many of the high seniority members and "old timers" are quick to bash. Its 2007 do not compare UPS now with the ways of UPS in 1977. Because of all the screwing off you old timers did back then...instituted the gps we now have! Ive heard all the stories about finishing early and heading down the beach for 3hrs before returning to the building.

I'm telling myself, I will not bash, I will not bash. After this ignorant statement though it is difficult. The old timers at UPS didn't get there by "screwing off" as you stated. As far as the stories you have heard,well they are just that. Stories. We have always been under the gun as far as numbers. It's true that PASS/EDD has made life harder, but only because in many centers it was not put in with any input from the people that actually do the job. The GPS seems to only scare the younger folks here. If you are doing your job the best you can, what's the problem?

rebel

Yea Steffie,you said it...my idea was intended to
increase production while increasing profits and I`m
dissmissed as a crackhead.Well just to inform you,
I`ve only seen crack on TV,and it was probobly fake.
[quote DS,CEO]
We all know the driver is the backbone of ups,
why not give him the tools to help us grow...

I am sorry DS, I didnt mean to bash you. You just left yourself wide open. I could not resist.

satellitedriver

...I'm not sure who the third/disinterested parties are that you're referring to, but I will tell you that while we are a company that makes a profit...let's all agree on that, our margins are dwindling and our revenue is being generated to a large degree by our increased rates, not by exceptional volume growth. This is particularly true domestically. In fact, the first sentence of our 4th quarter earnings release said "led by a strong performance in its international operations...."

The fact is, we don't have the growth domestically that we should have. Our 1da volume actually dropped below 2005 levels in the 4th quarter. NOt a good trend for us.

Didn't mean to start an argument with anyone, I just think we all owe it to each other to work hard to make our company stronger.
Our competion has better advertising,not better service. UPS makes a 6 cent profit on ground packages, 10 dollars on every NXDA and 88 dollars on every international.
IMHO, if we took a little less profit on NXDA and international we could smoke our competition. Advertise the fact that we are the best and the most economical(sp) way to do business worldwide and make up the difference in profit thru volume.
As it stands right now, a business can save shipping cost going with USPS internationally.
Basic economics should drive our business, not profit per pkg no matter what the volume. Volume increase should be inversely proportional to the profit per pkg.
I say, think harder than work harder.

skoomer

I bet all of us have a good sense of humor. One thing I always told my employees is you have to laugh at least once a day at work. And I have worked with some stiffs over the years, and could even make them laugh.

Now that I'm retired, I still use that same practice - I'm with my husband 24/7

It works!!!

I laugh more than once a day. It's usually when i'm doing my best and a sup tells me to pick it up..........I often ask him to show my how its done , but he can't do it himself...jerk