"Personal Business" day question

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Since we have 2 Personal business days given to us every year....
What are the rules about using them? Specifically, how much notice do we have to give ahead of using / needing them?

Rhoderunner

Managers have told me 24 hours notice. But I have heard of guys calling in the morning of and using one for emergencies also. Guess like most things, depends on the flavor of your management team in place.

Purple no more

Personal Days can be split up. They can be used for appointments, sick day, vaca, whatever... Here is the catch. They can not be paid out like vaca or floating holidays. So, if you get to the end of the FY and have not used them, you are screwed.

Nolimitz

here they have to be scheduled WAYYYYY in advance. Not what I would call a personal day. Few years back my wife was in the hospital w/ broken arm. 2 PBD's denied. Had to take off w/o pay...

Maui

They should have 24 hours notice, but the time can be denied by a manager.

You're in California correct? You should be entitled to a pay out for unused time. Most employees use Kincare also so they can use suck time to care for others. It could also be used any time you think your request might be denied.

Artee

I call in the day of and tell them I am using an "emergency personal." I always take the full 8, but can be broken up into 2 hour increments.

Artee

here they have to be scheduled WAYYYYY in advance. Not what I would call a personal day. Few years back my wife was in the hospital w/ broken arm. 2 PBD's denied. Had to take off w/o pay...

She had no sick days left? Should have been paid with them as she was probably on her way to short term disability and you have to use 5 sick days first.

dezguy

My manager recently told me that PB's can be used the day of the day you need off in case of an emergency. We had a blizzard that closed my kids' daycare and school. I called in, thinking I would be forced to take an unpaid day off because my wife had already left for work when I got word everything was closed but my manager informed me I could use one of my PB's instead.

He was surprisingly ok with me giving him less than an hours notice I wouldn't be in that day.

Purplepackage

My manager recently told me that PB's can be used the day of the day you need off in case of an emergency. We had a blizzard that closed my kids' daycare and school. I called in, thinking I would be forced to take an unpaid day off because my wife had already left for work when I got word everything was closed but my manager informed me I could use one of my PB's instead.

He was surprisingly ok with me giving him less than an hours notice I wouldn't be in that day.

Usually in a bad storm they expect people to call off and they also realize that not much work is going to get done regardless.

How many times have you went out into a storm and came back 8 hours later with a pretty much full truck

dezguy

Usually in a bad storm they expect people to call off and they also realize that not much work is going to get done regardless.

How many times have you went out into a storm and came back 8 hours later with a pretty much full truck
In all honesty, not often. Whenever we get a blizzard, we usually don't get our international and any domestic from the West coast. Usually just leaves us with very little freight and an early pull.

Purplepackage

One of our recent storms did just this for our station. I was able to get 45 stops off on a route that I normally can do 110-150 on a "regular" day.

One bad storm will back my station up for a week sometimes, we have areas we service that during an active storm you just can go to. Places that a plow doesn't touch for 2 days after a storm always a mess for us

Nolimitz

She had no sick days left? Should have been paid with them as she was probably on her way to short term disability and you have to use 5 sick days first.
can you read?
my wife was in hospital, plenty of sick time and has a real job w/ benefits. I tried to take 2 PD's from friend'ed Ex to care for her and kids. Paid time off denied by X

MAKAVELI

can you read?
my wife was in hospital, plenty of sick time and has a real job w/ benefits. I tried to take 2 PD's from friend'ed Ex to care for her and kids. Paid time off denied by X
If you filed for fmla they couldn't deny you time off. Check your state laws regarding your sick leave time. In California you can use sick leave to care for your family members.

MAKAVELI

not in Ca. FMLA for two lousy days? really? The point I was making is here you need months notice to use PBD's I :censored2: you not!
There is no min for fmla. You could use your vacation. In fact it's now company policy to use all of paid time off except one week for fmla.

Nolimitz

Lets try it this way.. All I'm trying to say is:
At this station there is no such thing as PBD's. You are required to give months notice.... that does not define PBD

MAKAVELI

Lets try it this way.. All I'm trying to say is:
At this station there is no such thing as PBD's. You are required to give months notice.... that does not define PBD
I understand what you are saying. I'm just letting you know, for family health issues, there is. You just have to point out fmla and company policy. If your management tries to deny it, call hr.

Artee

can you read?

Can you explain your situation better? I can see why they denied you personal days.