"Personal Business" day question

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I understand what you are saying. I'm just letting you know, for family health issues, there is. You just have to point out fmla and company policy. If your management tries to deny it, call hr.

You can't just say "FMLA" and go about your business. The FMLA coordinator has to approve the leave as FMLA-compliant. Not all leave is.

Nolimitz said that his wife was in the hospital. In that case, the FMLA coverage would probably be denied (should use sick days, if any). If he needs to take off to help her recuperate, it would probably be approved.

59 Dano

Since we have 2 Personal business days given to us every year....
What are the rules about using them? Specifically, how much notice do we have to give ahead of using / needing them?

Rule of thumb here is that most all of them are granted if they are requested with 3 or more days of notice.

MAKAVELI

You can't just say "FMLA" and go about your business. The FMLA coordinator has to approve the leave as FMLA-compliant. Not all leave is.

Nolimitz said that his wife was in the hospital. In that case, the FMLA coverage would probably be denied (should use sick days, if any). If he needs to take off to help her recuperate, it would probably be approved.
Dano, you are an idiot. Fmla is specifically for this purpose. FedEx cannot deny fmla for a family member in a emergency situation.
http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/fmla-faqs.htm

) What type of notice must I provide to my employer when taking FMLA leave because of a qualifying exigency?

An employee must provide notice of the need for qualifying exigency leave as soon as practicable. For example, if an employee receives notice of a family support program a week in advance of the event, it should be practicable for the employee to provide notice to his or her employer of the need for qualifying exigency leave the same day or the next business day. When the need for leave is unforeseeable, an employee must comply with an employer’s normal call-in procedures absent unusual circumstances.

An employee does not need to specifically assert his or her rights under FMLA, or even mention FMLA, when providing notice. The employee must provide “sufficient information” to make the employer aware of the need for FMLA leave and the anticipated timing and duration of the leave.

Last edited:

59 Dano

Dano, you are an idiot. Fmla is specifically for this purpose. FedEx cannot deny fmla for a family member in a emergency situation.
http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/fmla-faqs.htm

) What type of notice must I provide to my employer when taking FMLA leave because of a qualifying exigency?

An employee must provide notice of the need for qualifying exigency leave as soon as practicable. For example, if an employee receives notice of a family support program a week in advance of the event, it should be practicable for the employee to provide notice to his or her employer of the need for qualifying exigency leave the same day or the next business day. When the need for leave is unforeseeable, an employee must comply with an employer’s normal call-in procedures absent unusual circumstances.

An employee does not need to specifically assert his or her rights under FMLA, or even mention FMLA, when providing notice. The employee must provide “sufficient information” to make the employer aware of the need for FMLA leave and the anticipated timing and duration of the leave.

Hey dummy, see that word "qualifying"? Why don't you go find out what that means and get back to us, 'K?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
So, answers are all over the map.
To clarify, I am in CA. At our sta. we sch. all PB and floaters in our last round of vaca. bidding. So, normally, they are all scheduled.

I know a guy that needed to take his 2 PB days and gave at least a month's notice but, was denied because "too many" people were already scheduled off. Well, once bidding is done, practically the whole year is full anyways.

I don't know what he needed the days off for but, it wasn't for something stupid.

59 Dano

To clarify, I am in CA. At our sta. we sch. all PB and floaters in our last round of vaca. bidding. So, normally, they are all scheduled.

I know a guy that needed to take his 2 PB days and gave at least a month's notice but, was denied because "too many" people were already scheduled off. Well, once bidding is done, practically the whole year is full anyways.

That problem arises here occasionally but with a month's notice there's usually a way to accommodate the request, depending on who needs the day off, of course ;)

Rhoderunner

I don't know what he needed the days off for but, it wasn't for something stupid.

We do the same, book em during bidding and they also have been denied because "the day is full". But as most places the butt kissers/favorites always seem to get what they need/want !!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That problem arises here occasionally but with a month's notice there's usually a way to accommodate the request, depending on who needs the day off, of course ;)

All at the whim of the company? This reeks of them "allowing" it if it doesn't inconvenience FedEx operationally. Sorry, Shill-Boy, but that isn't the way the law works. As usual, always on Fred's terms, or that's how you'd like it.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Thanks to all for the replies.
I was hoping for some sort of quote from the purple people manual. I have no idea how to access that thing.

dezguy

I was hoping for some sort of quote from the purple people manual. I have no idea how to access that thing.
The people manual is locked away in a temperature controlled vault and can only be accessed by written request by those of only the highest authority. FedEx copied their access rules from those of the Vatican.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Get on the computer at work. Go to the fedex home page. Near the top, in "keyword" field, type in Policy. You will have to look around to find what you need. They don't make it easy, but it IS there, accessible.