personal cell phone and UPS ????

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Our center's land lines are usually busy so I call the OMS's on their cell phones if it's important. They use the same carrier that I do so it's a free call. Amen to only using the phone when not driving.

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
I have had the same problem with one of my OMS sups! She called about five times within fifeteen minutes. When I told me well we don't have ODS coverage in your area. I told her that was her problem and not to call me anymore.

I don't mind a call every once in awhile but she had crossed the line.:cursing:

iloadthetruck

Unregistered said:
Speaking of ODS communications... our new PEAK DIADS (DIAD III)
recieve ODS without the need for a DIVA... kinda freaky.

IIRC, those Peak DIADs have the same radio as the DIAD IV. The older DIADs used a wireless network that UPS does not use anymore b/c it had limited coverage.

InTheRed

TSG told me that DIAD IV uses cell network, as opposed to radio. In our area, the provider is Verizon Wireless. I'm not sure how it works elsewhere in the country.

iloadthetruck

InTheRed said:
TSG told me that DIAD IV uses cell network, as opposed to radio. In our area, the provider is Verizon Wireless. I'm not sure how it works elsewhere in the country.

Cellular technically is radio. :biggrin:

I think the whole wireless thing is cool. GPS, too. (Go ahead, flame me for liking it, but there are definitely some situations where would it would be irreplaceable.)

I once had the DVA explained to me, it's basically a low-speed cellular modem for the DIAD. My dad used to have something like that for his laptop... back in the 90's!

All the old networks that businesses used to use for any kind of wireless communication are not being maintained anymore. I remember using a friend's radio scanner once - you could hear all sorts of things on it. Now it's all moving into higher and higher frequencies and going digital and the older networks are just left to die out.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Never shall these two roads meet

Nothing like having a cell phone at work....
When you get instructions from your OMS to go to a meet at two roads which dont intersect......
Its pretty bad when you start to go there and then say WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
But it si pretty bad when you have to call in for the correct instructions also....Did I mention at PEAK????????????
And I get the airhead little laugh, and of course she blamed the senior driver, which he renounced, to the four of us who were waylayed, some who had to find a phone, as the ODS gave us 7 minutes to get there.......
It cost me 25 minutes, and of course I am the only one held accountable.....not the glorified secretary who couldnt even relay a message. Oh well its Christmas, just smile and shrug it off, I tell myself.

DS

Fenderbender
cellmania

We dont own cell phones...refuse to cave until the phone company tells us they are stopping the regular phone service.They are erroneous and dangerous and expensive...albeit its probobly inevitable

U

Unregistered

every driver in italy uses his mobile for communicate with UPS... non only diad...it is more quickly