Personal Cell Phone Used For FedEx Business

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yet you have no problem accepting the company discount for your cell phone service.
The discount is a perk of employment....accepting it does not require any employee to utilize their phones for work related reasons or to even carry a cell phone while working.

You request an over 55 discount at Dunkin Donuts even though you're not 55. Are donuts and coffee really putting a dent in your wallet??

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In order to even bring our cellphones on premises at our location, we have to 'register' the make,model,and number, and receive a card authorizing us to carry it into the facility. Gestapo tactics? No, we can thank the Federal Governments' TSA for that.

FedEx also doesn't want you taking photos. You know, the ones where the piles of packages on the slides are falling-off, and handlers are throwing heavy boxes over the pile, crushing the ones beneath.

MechLift

FedEx also doesn't want you taking photos.

But guess how many cameras are on us in every square inch of the warehouse. Our senior sits at home on Saturday and watches us live while chewing out managers on the phone for x doing y. Her version of SNL.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But guess how many cameras are on us in every square inch of the warehouse. Our senior sits at home on Saturday and watches us live while chewing out managers on the phone for x doing y. Her version of SNL.

It's OK for them to watch you, but not vice-versa. I take video with my smartphone every chance I get when I see something I can use against them. The key is to do it in a subtle way.

MassWineGuy

I prefer to work smarter, not harder, and consider my personal cell phone to be another tool to make my life easier. I call for clarification of bad addresses.... I will call/text if I can help or if I may need help.

Same here. I pay so little for my minutes anyway. And gosh, how smart would it be not to call a customer for clarification just because it's my own phone? I'll show 'em! I may drive around for hours, but I wil NOT call from my own phone.

The other day I was driving with my station's ops manager to pick up some rental trucks. He was drivng but making calls constantly. At UPS I was told never to answer or talk on a cellphone when the wheels are moving, and that still makes good sense to me. If anyone doubts this, go to YouTube and look up U.S. Dept. of Transportation videos about texting (and, I add, speaking into a phone) while driving.

I'd much rather be considered a professional driver who prevented a tragedy than one who killed a mom crossing a crosswalk with her baby because I was dialing a number.

CJinx

If you choose to your personal cell phone to call a customer, be sure to use *67. This blocks caller ID from capturing your phone number and is a free service. I generally will not use my personal cell for company business unless it is an emergency.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I made the mistake of calling this one customer for an address clarification. He called me back 4 separate times to see if I had delivered his package yet. I stopped answering after the first call back.

dezguy

Same here. I pay so little for my minutes anyway. And gosh, how smart would it be not to call a customer for clarification just because it's my own phone? I'll show 'em! I may drive around for hours, but I wil NOT call from my own phone.

The other day I was driving with my station's ops manager to pick up some rental trucks. He was drivng but making calls constantly. At UPS I was told never to answer or talk on a cellphone when the wheels are moving, and that still makes good sense to me. If anyone doubts this, go to YouTube and look up U.S. Dept. of Transportation videos about texting (and, I add, speaking into a phone) while driving.

I'd much rather be considered a professional driver who prevented a tragedy than one who killed a mom crossing a crosswalk with her baby because I was dialing a number.
The point is, you're still using YOUR money to fix a mistake that is THEIR problem despite paying little for minutes. FedEx, at any time could equip all of us with phones for company use. They don't have to be smart phone, they could be the crappiest phones you could find but instead they are relying on people like you to use the money you earn so they can make the most profit they possibly can. Who cares if you "drive around for hours"? You get paid by the hour!

You don't give this company anything for free because it will get you nothing in return.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

And watch how quickly a driver would get a warning letter for driving while on their cell. According to my district safety guy, even if you are pulled over in a safe location with the keys in the ignition, he can still issue a warning letter.

!Retired!

I will use my cell to call the station, dispatch and my manager (I have his FedEx and personal cell number).
I will NOT call a customer.