personal GPS

opie

Many of the Saturday air drivers use a GPS/navigation system. There are small portable battery chargers you can attach to the GPS so it will stay on. Or I've seen a couple of the drivers buy a battery at Radio Shack and hook it up to the GPS. And I disagree that it's a distraction, it is not like you are fixated on the GPS. A map can be more distracting, as you may be tempted to look at it while driving. GPS is definitely not perfect though, area knowledge will always beat GPS.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am not the most patient person in the world when it comes to making small, high-tech electronic gadgets work. When my old laptop caught a virus and quit working properly, I took it up to the range and permanently solved the problem using a method I like to call the "12-gauge 00 reformat." I have also "repaired" a couple of malfunctioning cellphones by remotely installing a 9-millimeter SIM card. My success rate with these methods so far stands at 100%. I suspect that I would eventually get similar results with a GPS unit, so why spend the money?

over9five

Staff member
I am not the most patient person in the world when it comes to making small, high-tech electronic gadgets work. When my old laptop caught a virus and quit working properly, I took it up to the range and permanently solved the problem using a method I like to call the "12-gauge 00 reformat." I have also "repaired" a couple of malfunctioning cellphones by remotely installing a 9-millimeter SIM card. My success rate with these methods so far stands at 100%. I suspect that I would eventually get similar results with a GPS unit, so why spend the money?

Oh, I like this post! Finally, someone who solves problems the same way I do.

HomeDelivery

Photo-0024.jpg

oh here's where I put my 2 GPS units on the windshield... plus the plug-in fan for those "hot dog days" of summer...

on the puple HD side, we also go with printed maps with EVERY stop plotted on there for the day; so I got 3 resources to get my job done (i don't rely on my old cellphone at all)