Personal handtrucks

HedleyLamarr

Apparently, some at my station think they own the hand truck in the vehicle they normally drive. Some of the morning delivery crew tie up the handtrucks by wrapping them with rope and locking them so the PUP driver cannot use it. Last night at a hospital, I had to carry some large boxes from their mail room all the way to the dock where the truck was. What should have taken 5-10 minutes, ended up taking 25 and I was huffing and puffing like an 80 year old chain smoker afterward.

Schweddy

Balls
So now you're under the lens. It's the end of the year and almost EVERY manager is getting hammered about their numbers. Even places that hit their numbers are getting crap because closeby stations didn't get theirs. Typical..

So all those extra stops didn't help you. You still have crap traffic to deal with. Your manager needs to DRIVE you around and then compare their numbers with yours.

I don't carry a hand truck unless it's already in the truck. I only have one place I would need it and they let me use theirs if needed.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
When I was a pickup courier, I NEVER left the building without a handtruck. I'd sit my happy behind on the belt and wait for a manager to pull one out of their butt. It's helped me avoid injuries throughout the years.

!Retired!

Why would you leave the station without knowing whether you had a handtruck to use or not? That's a rookie move.
Agreed....rookie move for sure.

The only time I've ever seen hand trucks locked up was back in NY. PM'ers would be assigned handtrucks and they would also be given a lock and chain. There was a bar bolted to the wall and you lock it up there at night.

I've never seen hand trucks locked up inside trucks. But, I can see this happening. Many times I've gone in and see couriers running around because a PM'er took it out of their truck because he truck they had didn't have one.

outtatime

It's very common to see handtrucks locked up against the wall and a few inside trucks, mainly by the AM couriers. The ones I've seen locked inside trucks are usually the really good 4-wheelers that do high-rise commercial or malls where you must have a that kind of cart for deliveries. All the carts are kind of expensive but any good manager should have no problem buying you one if it's missing out of your assigned truck.

whenIgetthere

I especially like the message reminding us to use release bags when we got some bad storms last month. Problem, SAL hasn't ordered bags in months, and no one has any. Door tags, haven't seen those in weeks. I can get the supplies I need, strongly disagree.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I especially like the message reminding us to use release bags when we got some bad storms last month. Problem, SAL hasn't ordered bags in months, and no one has any. Door tags, haven't seen those in weeks. I can get the supplies I need, strongly disagree.

How about a blank line, where you get to say whatever you want?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How about a blank line, where you get to say whatever you want?

We have a comments section on our survey where we are given up to 300 words to express our opinions.

As for the hand trucks----we have the same problem over here. Most of the guys will take a Sharpie and write their last names on the plate just below the handle but it makes for a really bad day when you get to your first bulk stop only to find that someone has taken your hand cart.

Part of our pretrip is to make sure that we have all of the equipment that we will need for the day. This would include a hand truck, if needed.

Purplepackage

So now you're under the lens. It's the end of the year and almost EVERY manager is getting hammered about their numbers. Even places that hit their numbers are getting crap because closeby stations didn't get theirs. Typical..

So all those extra stops didn't help you. You still have crap traffic to deal with. Your manager needs to DRIVE you around and then compare their numbers with yours.

I don't carry a hand truck unless it's already in the truck. I only have one place I would need it and they let me use theirs if needed.

What does the first half of your post have to do with hand trucks? Are you just venting because management is up your butt about numbers?

Schweddy

Balls
nope, I'm not under anyone's lens afaik. But OP has mentioned several times in other threads that he's been struggling to make numbers. Maybe you should be more informed before making an a.s.s.umption...

fatboy33

Apparently, some at my station think they own the hand truck in the vehicle they normally drive. Some of the morning delivery crew tie up the handtrucks by wrapping them with rope and locking them so the PUP driver cannot use it. Last night at a hospital, I had to carry some large boxes from their mail room all the way to the dock where the truck was. What should have taken 5-10 minutes, ended up taking 25 and I was huffing and puffing like an 80 year old chain smoker afterward.
If the PM guys would make sure to leave the dolly in the truck after their shift, there'd be no need to lock up dollies. One of the top ten things to hate is coming back from vacation or a day off to find the dolly is missing from the truck. Don't care if the PM guy had to pup a 120lbs misdel and uses the dolly to wheel it to the CSA office. Just take the dolly back to the truck when finished. We know you're late for that rave after work but just take the time to return the dolly. This is why I see dollies locked in trucks, on a pole..etc.

dezguy

Why are dolly's being removed from the truck in the first place? I have never heard of this phenomenon of dolly's disappearing, in any of the stations I have worked at, until now.

Wherever I have worked, dolly's get bungee corded to the shelf and that's where it stays until someone who is using that truck, needs it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Why are dolly's being removed from the truck in the first place? I have never heard of this phenomenon of dolly's disappearing, in any of the stations I have worked at, until now.

Wherever I have worked, dolly's get bungee corded to the shelf and that's where it stays until someone who is using that truck, needs it.
They disappear at my station too. Used to be that everyone was assigned their own with a lock and chain. The worse the new hires, the more handtrucks disappear. People steal them and either take them home or sell them.