Phil (Duck Dynasty) covered under 1st Amendment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Neither the 1st Amendment nor the 14th Amendment cover anything outside the relationship and punitive actions against an individual citizen by any level of governments.

The first amendment protects citizens from the government from taking any action against them due to what the citizens says ... in particular, if they say something against the government.
Citizens can say anything they want as long as they do not fall within the following:
  • Burning draft cards to protest draft — prohibited because of superior governmental interest.
  • Words likely to incite imminent violence, termed “fighting words.”
  • Words immediately jeopardizing national security.
  • Newspaper publishing false and defamatory material — libel.
Adams passed the Sedition Acts back in 1798 and were so unpopular that Jefferson was elected and these laws expired in 1802.
Lincoln suspended the 1st amendment rights as have other presidents during times of war.

Edward Snowden Yes (well maybe)
Phil Robertson No (definitely Not)

oldngray

nowhere special
Robertson had a right to express his opinion but A&E also had the right to fire him. 1st amendment doesn't apply here in my opinion. Still very biased on the part of A&E when they allow worse comments from the other side of political spectrum to pass without comment. A crappy move by A&E since Robertson was asked his opinion as a private citizen and he honestly answered. He didn't go out of his way to attack gays, just answered a question. And he has made no secret in the past about his personal views.

over9five

Staff member
Best thing you can do is to show your disgust by not watching A&E.

I think it's disgusting that to be on their network, you have to share their views.
Go Phil!

over9five

Staff member
I've never seen the show, but the family is everywhere. Have the rest of them backed Phil up at all? That show must make A&E a ton of cake. Seems to me the rest of the family could do something to get Phil back.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've never watched the show and I don't plan to in the future.

I find all these reality shows objectionable.

I do watch Pawn Stars and American Pickers ... not sure if they are considered reality shows.
I do realize these are scripted but you do learn something from them.

rod

Retired 22 years
Duck Dynasty merchandise makes up about 3/4 of what Walmart sells now days---just saying. ------- Personally the little I have seen of the show it isn't worth watching.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Boob tube, "the mind is a terrible thing to waste."

My point of contention would be (if I watched television and cared); if some half-wit on a television program made objectionable comments that were bigoted and frankly stupid, why would someone want to boycott the network for axing him? Shouldn't an average television viewer feel vindicated by that firing?

oldngray

nowhere special
Boob tube, "the mind is a terrible thing to waste."

My point of contention would be (if I watched television and cared); if some half-wit on a television program made objectionable comments that were bigoted and frankly stupid, why would someone want to boycott the network for axing him? Shouldn't an average television viewer feel vindicated by that firing?

The problem with that assumption is that the real bigotry and intolerance was done by A&E. They are tolerant as long as you agree with them.

brett636

No, this isn't a 1st amendment issue directly because it involves two private parties, and not the government. The issue here is as a culture how much do we value the opinions of others even if we disagree with them? They asked a devout Christian man his opinion on homosexuality and they got a devout Christian response. Who is surprised by his answer, and to what end does an employer have the right to censor the beliefs of its employees?

Its obvious A&E hasn't thought this through because this is a tight knit family with plenty of wealth who simply won't care if they are on tv or not. Whats going to happen here is the rest of the family will refuse to do the show which will leave A&E in a tough position to either drop their ratings juggernaut entirely(highest rated show in cable tv history!) or allow a very small percentage of the population to be upset that Phil Robertson doesn't agree with their lifestyle as a result of his religious beliefs. This will get interesting...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The problem with that assumption is that the real bigotry and intolerance was done by A&E. They are tolerant as long as you agree with them.
Okay, I probably missed some background on this, since I heard it on the radio this AM. I don't understand, and probably don't care to.
Carry on..;)

moreluck

golden ticket member
I've never watched the show and I don't plan to in the future.

I find all these reality shows objectionable.

I do watch Pawn Stars and American Pickers ... not sure if they are considered reality shows.
I do realize these are scripted but you do learn something from them.
Pawn Stars is on my list to watch too (I record it).....Duck Dynasty is good family fun!! I watch a lot of reality TV.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No, this isn't a 1st amendment issue directly because it involves two private parties, and not the government. The issue here is as a culture how much do we value the opinions of others even if we disagree with them? They asked a devout Christian man his opinion on homosexuality and they got a devout Christian response. Who is surprised by his answer, and to what end does an employer have the right to censor the beliefs of its employees?

Its obvious A&E hasn't thought this through because this is a tight knit family with plenty of wealth who simply won't care if they are on tv or not. Whats going to happen here is the rest of the family will refuse to do the show which will leave A&E in a tough position to either drop their ratings juggernaut entirely(highest rated show in cable tv history!) or allow a very small percentage of the population to be upset that Phil Robertson doesn't agree with their lifestyle as a result of his religious beliefs. This will get interesting...
Not to mention that some :censored2: at A&E probably set up the interview.

Also, all you have seen from GQ is what they chose to present from the interview.

Anybody that believes anything from the media including these type of magazines is pretty much an idiot anyway.
Don't tell my wife I wrote this as she reads all this crap.

If I was really interested, I would be interested in seeing the entire interview on video.
It would probably bring some light to this really unimportant BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.