Physical Advice

HBGPreloader

In addition to what the others have said, make sure you're drinking plenty of water during your shift and outside of work.
I typically stretch before and after my shift. And, I don't drink alcohol during the week either.
It took me a little more than a month to get into shape and I ended up dropping nearly 40 pounds within 6 months. Fortunately though, I gained most of that weight back.

Box Ox

I found stretching before sleeping at night helped me feel like only 1/4-1/2 of a bus had hit me the next day. I'd say 3 months for your body to catch up. Just gotta stay strong mentally when your mind is asking what you're doing there until it does.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I found stretching before sleeping at night helped me feel like only 1/4-1/2 of a bus had hit me the next day. I'd say 3 months for your body to catch up. Just gotta stay strong mentally when your mind is asking what you're doing there until it does.
i took 2 weeks vacation in a row once...I was sore for 3 weeks getting back into preload...lol. Never again!

oldngray

nowhere special
The%20Laziest%20Things%20Peoples%20Have%20Done%20Ever%20010.jpg

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
You lose weight at this job. I eat my dinner when I come home at 11 and have a bowl of ice cream right before I go to bed, just to stay the same weight.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
it is funny what your muscles get used to doing everyday..my joints hurt but unless I have an exceptionally heavy day...my muscles don't even notice lifting thousands of pounds anymore...just another day at work...lol.

QualityLoads

just keep working your body will get used to it. get on a clean diet and drink plenty of water maybe some protein supplements to aid muscle recovery. I cut out fast food after my first week at UPS (realized im pushing my motor hard with the worst possible fuel... Mcdonalds, burger king, taco bell)

i am only 4 weeks in and i feel like i have exceeded expectations. I'm sure many of the workers in the hub looked at me drenched in sweat and thought i would have quit by now. Just keep pushing, its a good feeling when the rookie outdoes the belt veterans. My supervisor makes sure to tell me i did a great job when i pull my weight (especially on the days hes stuck helping the veterans finish their work)

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
just keep working your body will get used to it. get on a clean diet and drink plenty of water maybe some protein supplements to aid muscle recovery. I cut out fast food after my first week at UPS (realized im pushing my motor hard with the worst possible fuel... Mcdonalds, burger king, taco bell)

i am only 4 weeks in and i feel like i have exceeded expectations. I'm sure many of the workers in the hub looked at me drenched in sweat and thought i would have quit by now. Just keep pushing, its a good feeling when the rookie outdoes the belt veterans. My supervisor makes sure to tell me i did a great job when i pull my weight (especially on the days hes stuck helping the veterans finish their work)
Don't get too smug. We've got a 3 week loader who loves to talk about PPH but his walls look like he's just throwing everything into a pile. The obvious response for those veterans is "I'm making way more than you and not killing myself for a sup that's going to be gone in 4 months." I happen to think pushing yourself makes the night go by faster and I was the #9 loader last week as far as scans go, but when you start making it clear that you look down on your fellow loaders is when you start spending break alone.

Last edited:

QualityLoads

Don't get too smug. We've got a 3 week loader who loves to talk about PPH but his walls look like he's just throwing everything into a pile. The obvious response for those veterans is "I'm making way more than you and not killing myself for a sup that's going to be gone in 4 months."

i hear you, i have to stay humble. I wouldn't say i'm pushing myself too hard for my sup. the first week my trucks were always the last ones out (preload) it was not a good feeling/look. the past 2 weeks ive been getting my trucks out on time and it feels great. Im not trying to upstage anyone, but definitely enjoy not having management on my ass the whole time. My trucks are not easy either, i deal with plenty of heavys, irregs, and hazmats.

my body has adjusted ive lost 10 lbs in a month, and i still have energy to hit the gym.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
i hear you, i have to stay humble. I wouldn't say i'm pushing myself too hard for my sup. the first week my trucks were always the last ones out (preload) it was not a good feeling/look. the past 2 weeks ive been getting my trucks out on time and it feels great. Im not trying to upstage anyone, but definitely enjoy not having management on my ass the whole time. My trucks are not easy either, i deal with plenty of heavys, irregs, and hazmats.

my body has adjusted ive lost 10 lbs in a month, and i still have energy to hit the gym.
Worry about the quality of the load. PPH doesn't matter to a driver if their load is crap. It doesn't do me any good if my truck is wrapped but the load is full of misloads and a disorderly mess.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

You've been here 3 weeks...please...if veterans aren't moving as fast as you...it's because they don't have to. They (nor I) have nothing to prove to management...lol. I don't give a rat's ass if some days I'm the last one done. Load quality is more important than wrapping when my center manager says we need to be to make their numbers pretty. I don't just throw it in and let the drivers sort it out.
Photo3731.jpg

Last edited: