Physical qualifications

wantwork

The requirement seems to be must be able to lift 75 pounds. Are boxes of this weight or higher going to be in the top stacks or will they be on the ground?

Like in this video I guess the woman is unloading? the wall of boxes is it generally heavier packages at bottom and lighter ones at top or do will you randomly find heavy packages at the very top?
UPS Part Time Jobs For Single Moms: Great Experience & Benefits! - YouTube

Cause I have a easier time if its on the ground or waist level and lifting it than if the object is above my head and I have to bring it down, especially because I hear some packages are irregular so I imagine your grip won't be as good.

barnyard

KTM rider
That's the 'idea'.

You also have to be prepared for cases of paper, floor to ceiling or just a couple rows near the top.

OptimusPrime

Don't quote me on this, but IIRC no one is required to lift over 70 pounds. Technically. After that it should be a "team lift". But if you are a driver, then get ready for your a-hole to pucker. They seem to have ZERO problem sending a 180 pound package destined for a 3rd floor apartment. "Work safe, work smart, use your cart". Yeah, no big deal if my intestine winds up in my nutsack humping that crap up there.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Don't quote me on this, but IIRC no one is required to lift over 70 pounds. Technically. After that it should be a "team lift". But if you are a driver, then get ready for your a-hole to pucker. They seem to have ZERO problem sending a 180 pound package destined for a 3rd floor apartment. "Work safe, work smart, use your cart". Yeah, no big deal if my intestine winds up in my nutsack humping that crap up there.
When, I get back to work, that can ride three times if I don't get help. My back means more than that stupid amish fireplace/tree stand/whatever.

Indecisi0n

Text message center 20 mins before stop: "I need a driver to meet me at XXXXX to help in team lift for over 70." Ball is in their court.

wantwork

I always ask my loader, everyday, how many and where are the over 70`s.

What's the packages per hour package handlers are required to accomplish or else fired? 1000? 2000? so how many probably over 70 in an hour? Half?

How many trucks is each package handler responsible for per day?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The number of Over 70's will vary but they are nowhere near one-half of the daily volume. If I had to guess I would say 10% or less. I deliver 300-400 (or more) pkgs per day and if I have 10 Over 70's that is a lot.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Try delivering to the airbrake. The over 70's always number over 5 for that stop alone. Their dock is chest level, btw. They aren't allowed to help. Then, you get to do the pick-up, as well. On a good day, I'd have 25-30 over 100#. Ny hats just the over 70's. The place sucked.
(remember dock is chest level).

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
PAS/EDD does not identify Over 70's so how would you know 20 minutes before the stop?

Because when I go to walk into my truck in the morning, if I see an 8 foot long box with over 70 tape on it, I make an inference as to what it is and how heavy it is.

I also have the phone number to pretty much every driver who's routes come into whatever route I'm running for the day. If I think I will need help, I call them directly. My management team is "too busy"(too dumb) to coordinate help

over9five

Staff member
I also have the phone number to pretty much every driver who's routes come into whatever route I'm running for the day. If I think I will need help, I call them directly.
Now why would you do that? If I were that other driver, I'd tell you to call the center. I'm not breaking route unless the boss tells me.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Because when I go to walk into my truck in the morning, if I see an 8 foot long box with over 70 tape on it, I make an inference as to what it is and how heavy it is.

I also have the phone number to pretty much every driver who's routes come into whatever route I'm running for the day. If I think I will need help, I call them directly. My management team is "too busy"(too dumb) to coordinate help
I like that you actually walk through your truck. I use to call for help, and respond to calls for help. I doubt, if I was back today, I'd do the same. Let them supervise. That's what they get paid to do.

Macbrother

What's the packages per hour package handlers are required to accomplish or else fired? 1000? 2000? so how many probably over 70 in an hour? Half?

How many trucks is each package handler responsible for per day?

It's virtually impossible to get fired for production, but if you are that slow you probably never would've made 30 days to begin with. In my center the package count generally ranges from 600 - 1000 depending on your location on the belt, and between three and five trucks. The number of overweights can vary wildly, I usually only get between 1-5 per day (out of 700 packages average). If I have anything particularly heavy or an unusual number, generally I let the driver know if I get to see him.

UPSGUY72

When, I get back to work, that can ride three times if I don't get help. My back means more than that stupid amish fireplace/tree stand/whatever.

If the package it to heavy it's gets rolled out the back door onto a hand cart or near the garage... No lifting required...

Buck Fifty

Try delivering to the airbrake. The over 70's always number over 5 for that stop alone. Their dock is chest level, btw. They aren't allowed to help. Then, you get to do the pick-up, as well. On a good day, I'd have 25-30 over 100#. Ny hats just the over 70's. The place sucked.
(remember dock is chest level).

Makes my back hurt just reading this !