Pickup time double standard

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It's amazing how important the +/- 15 minute pickup window is except when mgmnt is walking around in the morning doling out a hand full of pickup logs from busted areas. Then it's just get it picked up somehow. Same with the SSI stops. When it's on the driver it's gotta be perfect, on the Supe, not so much.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
And it's different from sup to sup. You can ask one sup, get one answer and ask another sup 5 minutes later and get a totally different answer.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Mine keep asking me to give them times to put in my board to give me that +/-15 window. Everytime I have to explain to them how my route is all residential and all my pickups are done in trace. unfortuantely for them my trace is not the same on a daily basis. I can pick up a stop at 11am one day and 4 pm the next day.

old levi's

blank space
I find it curious that they ask the driver for the P/U time to input when they could look back at the real world P/U record for 30,60,or 90 days and determine the most likely time for that P/U by averaging. The data would show the ideal window for each P/U giving the greatest probability of the actual P/U occurring during that window thereby making their precious report the best it can be. But, I'm just a dumb truck driver.........

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I find it curious that they ask the driver for the P/U time to input when they could look back at the real world P/U record for 30,60,or 90 days and determine the most likely time for that P/U by averaging. The data would show the ideal window for each P/U giving the greatest probability of the actual P/U occurring during that window thereby making their precious report the best it can be. But, I'm just a dumb truck driver.........

That would involve effort on the part of Mgmnt. Apparently we have more time to do this during our day.

M

Mike23

I never pay attention to the +/- 15 minute window. Nothing has ever been said to me.

I pay attention to the 'closes at' window. If I'm there before closing and you closed early, obviously you didn't have anything for me or it wasn't important enough for you to wait :D Yep, that's my customer service!

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I understand them wanting something to brag about to our customers, but is a 30 minute window going to really seal the deal. FDX ground gives thier customers a 2hr window and from what the ground drivers tell me, is that at times that cant even be met. UPS on the other hand says +,- 15 minutes and thats the way it is. Some of us drive rual routes and that window cant always be predetermined in advance but the bean counters say figure it out.

deepsouthmamaw

Hi everyone, yesterday mgnt gave me extra business stops and 10 extra pickups. Had 120 del and picks to do before 500. we also left late 927. I also had 15 next day air scattered through out my area 2 wer to an elevator delivery slow elevator delivery had to use cart had to use elevator did not start my area till 1050.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My point is the bosses want us to be 100% compliant but if they decide to break an area then those pickups can be picked up whenever. We need to keep the promise, the bosses apparently don't.

NHDRVR

It's amazing how important the +/- 15 minute pickup window is except when mgmnt is walking around in the morning doling out a hand full of pickup logs from busted areas. Then it's just get it picked up somehow. Same with the SSI stops. When it's on the driver it's gotta be perfect, on the Supe, not so much.

It's all about the flavor of the month. Moving backwards we currently have safety books after the PCM, taking of lunches, sales leads, over 9/5's, and so on...
We haven't heard about the pickup times recently which means we will probably hear about it tomorrow...

Cheers.

brownrodster

It's funny. Last week they are preachin pickup compliance and confronting anyone not meeting the required percentage. This week they've cut so many routes that they simply say "get your pickups done" and don't care about compliance. A pickup I did today fell through the cracks yesturday. They had a ton of NDA that was never picked up. No one was told to pick them up because their route was cut and every driver was loaded up with insane amounts of work. I damn near drove 200 miles today for 80 stops. I blame it completely on the incompetence of management. If dispatched properly It would have been 6 hours of work and about half as many miles.
Do they ever consult drivers before they make stupid decisions and mess up all the routes?

satellitedriver

Do they ever consult drivers before they make stupid decisions and mess up all the routes?
To answer your question, No.
The same value of drivers area knowledge was given in my center when Pas/Edd was being implemented. Daily I have 4 to 5 misloads due to the Pas/ Edd never being corrected ,in 4yrs. Literally, I have been told that they(the sups) are too busy to fix the problem.Yet, the have time daily to send down another car to pickup the misloads and get them to the correct area.
Collectively, I have spent 17yrs on my route. 3yrs from the center and 14yrs as a single satellite driver.
Now, my area knowledge is meaningless.
Welcome to the new UPS, that spends a dollar to make a dime.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It's all about the flavor of the month. Moving backwards we currently have safety books after the PCM, taking of lunches, sales leads, over 9/5's, and so on...
We haven't heard about the pickup times recently which means we will probably hear about it tomorrow...

Cheers.

I think that each District Manager has a "wheel of fortune" set up in his office, with the different segments of the wheel marked off with the all of the various "flavors of the month" that we know and love so much. Once a month he gathers his underlings in the office and he spins the wheel while they all clap until the wheel stops on the NEW flavor that we will all get lectured on at the next PCM. Sales leads? Over 9.5's? Proper footwear? Safety compliance?Boy, I cant wait to hear what this months "flavor" will be!!

NHDRVR

I think that each District Manager has a "wheel of fortune" set up in his office, with the different segments of the wheel marked off with the all of the various "flavors of the month" that we know and love so much. Once a month he gathers his underlings in the office and he spins the wheel while they all clap until the wheel stops on the NEW flavor that we will all get lectured on at the next PCM. Sales leads? Over 9.5's? Proper footwear? Safety compliance?Boy, I cant wait to hear what this months "flavor" will be!!

(laughing....)

shrimpfire

shrimpfire
To answer your question, No.
The same value of drivers area knowledge was given in my center when Pas/Edd was being implemented. Daily I have 4 to 5 misloads due to the Pas/ Edd never being corrected ,in 4yrs. Literally, I have been told that they(the sups) are too busy to fix the problem.Yet, the have time daily to send down another car to pickup the misloads and get them to the correct area.
Collectively, I have spent 17yrs on my route. 3yrs from the center and 14yrs as a single satellite driver.
Now, my area knowledge is meaningless.
Welcome to the new UPS, that spends a dollar to make a dime.
they cannot fix the problem if they could they would, in 30 yrs it will be same or worse.