Picture of inside stuffed truck?

That's not a quality load, but look at all the room on shelf 6. Clean that up, make some room and move a dozen or so boxes on the floor. That's about a 5 minute fix.

helenofcalifornia

I second the opinion of not leaving the building until that load is in place and I know that I have all my air that is in my board. People that load like that in my building are usually sent to unload for awhile to cool their heels.

hdkappler

:crying:that was a picture of the inside of my truck before i retired.the loader i had left a lot to disire.i wish we could of had a driver sort.it would be easier to deliver.

LKLND3380

Here are some of mine, but not really "FULL":

Just a bad load by a very bad loader...

Phonepics115.jpg

Phonepics116.jpg

Phonepics114.jpg

Another bad load, probably same loader, with everything jammed to the front...

K790a062.jpg

Is your hand truck in there? I can see your NDA is clearly visible... what is the problem? Maybe you shouldn't take turns at 75MPH...:lol:

Cementups

Box Monkey
Is your hand truck in there? I can see your NDA is clearly visible... what is the problem? Maybe you shouldn't take turns at 75MPH...:lol:

If you would have read before you posted you would have noticed that I said that the pictures were taken before I even left the building and not after taking a turn at 75mph.:bored:

helenofcalifornia

For my vacation, I would work at Fedex if my truck looked like that every day. What a dream to deliver a truck like that!! Automatic, power steering, cushioned floors, etc. Hey, if you can't find anyone to cover your route while you go on vaca, I volunteer!!!!!

SmithBarney

For my vacation, I would work at Fedex if my truck looked like that every day. What a dream to deliver a truck like that!! Automatic, power steering, cushioned floors, etc. Hey, if you can't find anyone to cover your route while you go on vaca, I volunteer!!!!!

Believe me I laugh everytime one of these guys(at fedex) complain about a hard day.
I was a full time cover driver at UPS, and believe me, this route at FedEx is 10x easier
than the easiest route I ran at UPS..(yes I miss UPS from time to time, but not as much
as I missed my wife at 9pm after finishing my last stop and she was already in bed)

I just got my own route here and the last guy was constantly complaining..
Go figure he's gonna be a cop now... LOL

I love how the cab is insulated.. I don't have to crank my radio to hear it.
Automatic is nice, can't wait till we get our next batch of trucks, getting
a few more with keyless entry and ignition.. Hope I get one.. :)

SmithBarney

True making top rate takes a bit, but honestly, I think getting
paid 1/2 of what a UPS driver gets paid, is fair since we are doing
half the work... and since I've been on both sides, my body and family already thank me for the change.

Oh yeah forgot about that, all the new ones are coming with
A/C cause. well its cheaper to order them that way, instead of custom ordering them without A/C

Shelfs that flip up are nice for those bulky days(occassionally I'll fill it with a bulk stop or two if I'm helping out)

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
:crying:that was a picture of the inside of my truck before i retired.the loader i had left a lot to disire.i wish we could of had a driver sort.it would be easier to deliver.

I know this is an old thread, but after getting out of the building and getting your air off, do you straighten as you go, hoping there is nothing else in the back for the stop you are at now? Or do you take a small break and straighten your load out? If so, how do you do this in your board? Is there a place that I'm not aware of?

currahee

According to Edd there is no more sort time. I sort more now than i ever did prior to PAS.
At 1030 i clean up the load a little and set my first 25 or 30 stops because regardless of what mgmt might think they aren't in order. As far as putting this time i board i dont.
I think the best thing about PAS was the claims that they could take any idiot of the streets and they could give you a perfect load the first day.

Floridacargocat

1. I find it astonishing that these pictures are ont this board at all. Isn't there a policy that inside pictures need the approval of UPS before they are published?
2. Load quality. Let's be realistic, At what time are Load Quality sheets done? Not at the end or during the last 30-45 minutes, when the objective is "Wrap it up". They are done during a period what I call "cruising at normal conditions". At the end of the sort, you may/will not be in a position to enter a truck (as seen in those pictures).
3. Loaders have no idea what is coming regarding size and weight. And I am not talking Irregs. So the first rule is go by the numbers (when you have PAS). Second rule is "Deviate as little as possible from rule #1. Third rule is, drivers preference for certain stops (weight/volume). In some cases, drivers even want specific NDA/s in the RDR or RDL area.
4. The last 30 minutes and beyond, when you got to load bulk that has been stored on the slide, and then come last-minute/second irregs and other stuff. Give us some guidance how you want it.
5. Planning and wrap-up. This is a major area of improvement where gains could be made for the entire process. Do we really know what is coming in numbers/size and weights? At our facility, wrap-up can only be described as an event of getting it in by force/brawns and not by smart moves, especially when it comes to what we see how many boxes/units are removed by drivers (sorry "service providers") due to add/cuts, moved and other necessary action which makes we think "How can we as a team work smarter?"
6. Damages. Taking an observation of today, damages are linked to loaders taking care of the entrusted property of someone unknown to him, getting a feel on weights/compatibility where things should go in which sequence (e.g. tires on the bottom and box on top, and not the other way), a feeling of involvement by the loader (but maybe all his feelings have been beaten out of him due to general work conditions and environment), trying to plan as much as possible (during wrap-up), where things should go without causing damages.
Avon-boxes are more than prone to damages and honestly I do not understand why this aspect is not addressed systematically.
Enough of it.
Some ideas apart from mine on how to improve to work smarter?

partykid

Floidacargocat if you work in a center that has PAS you WILL know whats coming to those preloaders, being in FL you should, its not hard to look at whats coming in.. stops, piece counts, where they going, if no PAS im sorry for bringing this up, A driver tired of hearing PRELOAD DRAMA, worked preload 10 years before 6 years of driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Kemp

These look like my loads everyday.
Why is this ever acceptable? I have never understood why ups pays me 40 something an hour to fix a mess that an 8 dollar per hour guy made. But it's their business let them run it the way they want.

SmithBarney

How about pictures from people with Good loaders?
I know when I loaded I had One car(which I later drove) that had about 350-400 pieces
and about 160stops, and never had a load that looked like that.
Believe me I had completely bricked out days, but I would leave the driver
4-5 feet of room up front, before I started my brick wall.

browniehound

Its a good thing to have our trucks loaded from floor to ceiling. It means our business is doing well.

Its a bad thing however, to have loads that look like THAT. It makes the driver very inefficent and defeats the purpose of PAS/EDD. The driver is supposed to be able to open his bulk-head door and grab the next stop without sorting. Froim the looks of these loads (and many I see on my belt), the driver is going digging for his packages. Once he gets some room, I think it he should sort and straighten out the load.

My point here is UPS spent all this money to make us (drivers and preloaders) more efficient and then drops the ball when it comes to execution on this great plan.

I understand the preload manager has to answer for his/her numbers and I've heard about scenarios in which a preload sup would just say "get the packages in the truck, I don't care where you put them!".

This is where I think the division manager should step in and take his hit on the preload, relax the PPH goal and focus on zero misloads and loading stop-for-stop. Let's see what the drivers can do with that since we are the much higher labor/fuel cost. If we don't improve, then I'll suggest going back to the status quo.