Piece rate for pre-loaders

laffter

Today I had about 1020 in three trucks. Start time was 4:30 and I clocked out at 8:30. I did not have the opportunity to take a break when it was time to break. I am glad it is Friday so I can recover!

Well, the opportunity was there, you just chose not to take it.

It's actually the heavy days that I take my breaks in full (1000+ pieces). As soon as I hear the buzzer, I drop what I'm doing and rest. On light days (under 900), I might take a minute to clean up a bit, during the break... 'cause I'm probably already relaxed.

1020 pieces over 4 hours is quite a bit. Did anybody help you? Did a sup come by and sort?

Dr Greg

It's actually the heavy days that I take my breaks in full (1000+ pieces). As soon as I hear the buzzer, I drop what I'm doing and rest. On light days (under 900), I might take a minute to clean up a bit, during the break... 'cause I'm probably already relaxed.

1020 pieces over 4 hours is quite a bit. Did anybody help you? Did a sup come by and sort?

Nope. On this particular day my regular sup was on vacation. The one filling in for him made a point to tell me he would not help me at all.

laffter

Nope. On this particular day my regular sup was on vacation. The one filling in for him made a point to tell me he would not help me at all.

Well that's good, they're not supposed to do union work.

How long have you been at UPS, if I may ask?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Don't let them help. They will make you accountable for their work, as well. The sups are the worst misloaders. Stack, if you have to. The belt can be shut off as well. I don't care what they say. Sleeve, my building is a straight line belt. Grab your :poop: before it goes to next guy, as he has his own work to grab. It is a lot easier at the end of the belt, too.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Don't let them help. They will make you accountable for their work, as well. The sups are the worst misloaders. Stack, if you have to. The belt can be shut off as well. I don't care what they say. Sleeve, my building is a straight line belt. Grab your :poop: before it goes to next guy, as he has his own work to grab. It is a lot easier at the end of the belt, too.
I totally disagree with you, here. (aside the point of sups not working and misloading)

UPS compelling people to work unsafely, by "slamming out as many doors as possible regardless of injury or damages" should not make one feel compelled to work unsafe.

Nowhere in the preload boxline or belt to car methods mention stacking boxes because the work volume is too heavy for the amount of people handling it.

laffter

Does anybody on this forum work at a center that doesn't involve a boxline, a moving belt, or "cages", whatever that is.

We do have two belts in front of us, an upper and a lower. The lower belt is for irregs and is always on. The upper belt, during preload, is stationary. There is a slide in front of it... where packages come down into. So, I could take a bathroom break at any point, and nobody is inconvenienced by my being gone. Packages continue to collect into the sorting area...

Some areas have larger slides than others. On some belts, the closer you get to the back of the belt, the smaller your slide is (your sorting area).

The whole moving belt idea confuses me. How is that even practical?

loadfaster

On Friday, I had about 1200 pieces in 4 trucks and wanted to die. I've been at it a whole six weeks. Is this normal, will it get better, or am I just being a whiny buddy*?

Macbrother

On Friday, I had about 1200 pieces in 4 trucks and wanted to die. I've been at it a whole six weeks. Is this normal, will it get better, or am I just being a whiny buddy*?

Friday was pretty bad for me too, but it just depends on your center, really. The worst day I ever saw thus far was Cyber Monday last year, but even then the max piece count for the loaders in the worst spots weren't much past 1300, and that was rarely. We have three moving belts and the guys at the back are going to average from 900-1100.

As far as supervisors working; of course, by rule, I would prefer them not to "have" to help, but provided they aren't physically loading boxes into trucks I don't mind them helping sort the belt, clean egresses, or pull for you while you're loading instead of just standing there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As far as supervisors working; of course, by rule, I would prefer them not to "have" to help, but provided they aren't physically loading boxes into trucks I don't mind them helping sort the belt, clean egresses, or pull for you while you're loading instead of just standing there.

Wouldn't you prefer that they hire another hourly to help sort the belt, clean egresses or pull for you while you're loading so that your supervisor can do what he/she was hired to do---supervise?

Macbrother

Wouldn't you prefer that they hire another hourly to help sort the belt, clean egresses or pull for you while you're loading so that your supervisor can do what he/she was hired to do---supervise?
That's not going to happen. So given the choice of him standing there, and him doing something useful, I would choose doing something useful.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I was just being smart, Greg. There is no number. Do your best and follow the methods.

Methods are no longer practiced and/or no longer taught.

As it might seem, you guys see 270-210 as a joke. Well, you can come down to sunny Orlando, Florida and work a few weeks in the muggy humidity and see if you can even half that of what you are told to do.

I also, couldnt believe that amounts some of you have gotten. 1300, 1800 and 2200 packages! Your building has to be A/ced or 20%
humidity or quiet cool year round. Rarely would it even get close to 70 degrees or over 40% humidity? I'm sure you get them, but there has to be something left out of the equation.

Here in Florida, 10 mintues in and you're drenched in sweat head to toe for the next 4 hours of work.

Norma

That is exactly the method I follow. If they give me something realistic, I'll put in the extra effort. Give me 300 extra pieces just because??? Watch me stack 300 pieces on the belt.

Also, I never, never, ever let a soup help me out. Why? I know I'm doing above average work already. If mgmt sees 300 extra pieces being loaded every night, I'll get 400 extra pieces the next night. Doesn't matter who loads the pieces. Many hourlys are too dumb to realize this, ditto for the soups.