Piling on resi because it's resi

Orion inc.

I like turtles
German cars being bad is nonsense. They'll last as long you take care of them and give them proper maintenance. They're just made with such precision that they don't handle neglect very well.

Porsche, for example, consistently tops the reliability charts.

Any stigmas that they are bad likely stem from dopes driving around in BMW crossover SUVs who don't know the first thing about their vehicle but they have money and like the badge.
Have seen the actual maintenance costs on a Porsche or bmw???

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
German cars being bad is nonsense. They'll last as long you take care of them and give them proper maintenance. They're just made with such precision that they don't handle neglect very well.

Any stigmas that they are bad likely stem from dopes driving around in BMW crossover SUVs who don't know the first thing about their vehicle but they have money and like the badge.
Not exactly. The problem is you usually either get a great one or a complete dud.

Also the notoriously terrible to work on and very expensive to fix.

rod

Retired 22 years

I'm glad you apparently got a good one. Not the case with me. The brand new Passat my wife bought in 2000 was the worst POS we've ever owned. It was always serviced by a local VW garage which is one of the oldest VW distributors in the country. It was --a lemon. I'm not the only one I know who has had terrible experiences with VW's and am not a dope. I will never buy another one. My wife's $900 German made Paff sewing machine is also an example of German engineering at its worst. It would make a good boat anchor. I lost count of the number of times we had it back to the dealer to be serviced. She finally went and bought a $165 Brothers machine at Costco that does everything the Paff did plus more and hasn't skipped a stitch in 3 years now. The Paff is buried in a closet collecting dust. As far as I'm concerned its no wonder they lost the war producing the crap that they do.

box_beeyotch

You're absolutely right. They are fine tuned very precise machines. For the money, you cant beat it.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I'm glad you apparently got a good one. Not the case with me. The brand new Passat my wife bought in 2000 was the worst POS we've ever owned. It was always serviced by a local VW garage which is one of the oldest VW distributors in the country. It was --a lemon. I'm not the only one I know who has had terrible experiences with VW's and am not a dope. I will never buy another one. My wife's $900 German made Paff sewing machine is also an example of German engineering at its worst. It would make a good boat anchor. I lost count of the number of times we had it back to the dealer to be serviced. She finally went and bought a $165 Brothers machine at Costco that does everything the Paff did plus more and hasn't skipped a stitch in 3 years now. The Paff is buried in a closet collecting dust. As far as I'm concerned its no wonder they lost the war producing the crap that they do.
Too bad you got the lemon. It's a chance with any brand unfortunately.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
LOL, even worse than German! Land Rover, Jaguar, etc are historically the least reliable cars available in the US.
It's true that British cars have historically been prone to reliability issues, but the character they possess is something you just won't find anywhere else. If you're willing to put in the time and money and have the mechanical competence they can be very rewarding.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
More than a Harley? Two to 3 hundred plus if you take it in to a dealer for an oil change.

We had a Mercedes that we took to the dealer because of the lease. It was close $500 for the oil change. I told my wife she's crazy but she loved that car and she makes more than I do so I don't argue.

She didn't say anything when I just redid my garage with all new Gladiator cabinets and such so I don't pick a fight on her spending on a car lol

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I meant a real German car as in bmw or Mercedes. They are expensive to maintain but are virtually indestructible and very reliable. I think Audi is junk too.

I wouldn't write off Audi. They've changed a lot lately since I think they were sold or whatever. I'm actually more impressed with their quality lately

rod

Retired 22 years
There are good and bad vehicles in any make. I don't know if it's true about never buying a vehicle that was made on a Monday or a Friday but for some reason certain ones are lemons. Personally I'm not partial to any make--I've owned most all of the major ones and have had both good a bad luck with them all. The ONLY make of car I would never give a second chance to would be VW. (I would probably end up in jail if I ever had to deal with our local dealer again). I probably would never buy another Jeep again either.

box_beeyotch

I wouldn't write off Audi. They've changed a lot lately since I think they were sold or whatever. I'm actually more impressed with their quality lately

You're right. I'm basing that off the luck I've seen majority of people I know have with them. I personally own an M3 and love it, but also own a Subaru to get me through the winter.