Pitt Bull attack

rod

Retired 22 years
They are great guard dogs.
[video=youtube;uXNmVZIoX_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXNmVZIoX_U[/video]

I would think one of those cops (?) could solve that problem with their shotgun. If he timed it just right he could get all three of those mutts with one shell.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And yet most live their lives out without ever doing such. The problem with pits is they have potential to do great damage quickly due to their jaw size and body strength. Whether they will or not depends on how they were raised. Turn one vicious, you get what you ask for.

Pit bulls may not show any warning signs before they attack, which is why we hear stories about victims who never saw it coming. You can't tell a pit bull's blood line from looking at him, and let's keep in mind that an astonishing number of them are bred from multiple generations of fighting dogs. They are way too volatile for my tastes.

vantexan

Pit bulls may not show any warning signs before they attack, which is why we hear stories about victims who never saw it coming. You can't tell a pit bull's blood line from looking at him, and let's keep in mind that an astonishing number of them are bred from multiple generations of fighting dogs. They are way too volatile for my tastes.

That's nothing but media hype. Start arresting the idiots who turn them vicious and you'll see a big drop in attacks. As a matter of fact, after the hysteria with the press jumping on the bandwagon, there's been a huge drop in the number of attacks reported. People who bought them to make a vicious guard dog realized they were at financial and criminal risk if their dog attacked someone. Didn't stop all the idiots or all the attacks, but the mass hysteria is long gone due to many less attacks to report. I don't nor have I ever owned one. But I've been around more than I can count and most were good dogs.

HomeDelivery

any dog over 40 lbs i see as a threat to me

any smaller dog i see as a threat to being run over by my package car... i'll warn the customer either way to control your pet as i leave

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

any dog over 40 lbs i see as a threat to me

any smaller dog i see as a threat to being run over by my package car... i'll warn the customer either way to control your pet as i leave

Both times that I have been bit has been by dogs weighing less than 10 lbs. The one dog that I ran over was well over 40 lbs.

Goldilocks

I would think one of those cops (?) could solve that problem with their shotgun. If he timed it just right he could get all three of those mutts with one shell.

That is just crazy!! Did you hear the redneck in the background, "keep your car still" and "dont run over them" Are these people stupid or what....

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's nothing but media hype. Start arresting the idiots who turn them vicious and you'll see a big drop in attacks. As a matter of fact, after the hysteria with the press jumping on the bandwagon, there's been a huge drop in the number of attacks reported. People who bought them to make a vicious guard dog realized they were at financial and criminal risk if their dog attacked someone. Didn't stop all the idiots or all the attacks, but the mass hysteria is long gone due to many less attacks to report. I don't nor have I ever owned one. But I've been around more than I can count and most were good dogs.

I would invite you to compare the number of deaths/serious injuries caused by pits over the last 10 to 20 years to those of other breeds. I'll restate that not every pit bull is bad, but they have the ability to conceal their intentions and the damage they do is far greater than that of most other dogs. Insurance companies didn't charge extra for owning that breed until the last few years.

Goldilocks

I would invite you to compare the number of deaths/serious injuries caused by pits over the last 10 to 20 years to those of other breeds. I'll restate that not every pit bull is bad, but they have the ability to conceal their intentions and the damage they do is far greater than that of most other dogs. Insurance companies didn't charge extra for owning that breed until the last few years.

First thing when shopping for new Homeowners Insurance, first question asked, Do you have any dogs? what kind? and wanted to know if I have any pitbulls? They charge you more because of the liability.

whenIgetthere

My dog is not at all aggressive, in fact, he'd probably lick the UPS or Fedex driver to death. But I pay the extra 25 bucks a year on the home owners policy just to be safe.

vantexan

And I'll restate there's been a lot more self policing by pit owners since the intense media focus years ago. You really give the dogs too much credit. They're either aggressive or they aren't and the most dangerous ones were mostly made that way by their owners. It was a fad among some constituencies to have bad ass dogs. But I'll agree they were bred originally for fighting and with emphasis on powerful jaws and body strength. In the wrong hands they are loaded guns and I'd make sure they are fenced in or otherwise restrained. That being said I much prefer really sweet breeds like Golden Retrievers. Not that there aren't plenty of sweet pits, but they're always going to be under a cloud due to the bad ones.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
If I breach a gate, I yell "FedEx" real loud and pause.
Wanna see who's in the yard.
Only been bit by a chiwawa, (didn't break skin) those small dogs have too small a brain.
I trust bigger, older dogs.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

If I breach a gate, I yell "FedEx" real loud and pause.
Wanna see who's in the yard.
Only been bit by a chiwawa, (didn't break skin) those small dogs have too small a brain.
I trust bigger, older dogs.

I whole-heartedly agree! My wife's ankle biter is dumb as a box of rocks, the Lab is highly intelligent and extremely lazy...lol

Schlepper

Worst bite I've gotten was from a dachshund. Ripped my pants and drew blood. The guy had like 10 of them running around and didn't come outside for a DSign so I had to get to the door. Most scared I've ever been was a standoff with a German Shepard that lasted about 5 minutes. I had to use the box (pretty large and flat, about the size of a poker table) as a barrier between the dog and I. I dropped it in the middle of the driveway and made a beeline back into the van. If it would have lunged at me, I'd have sustained some serious damage. Had to go back the next day and the lady actually apologized about the dog and was sympathetic. Fortunately, my terminal seems to be pretty understanding of the dog situations I encounter on my mostly rural route. I asked HR one day what I should do if one starts biting me, and their reply was, "kick the **** out of it."

hypo hanna

I hope you got that in writing. If you actually did kick the dog and the owner sued, there is a real good chance they would deny ever giving such advise.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I stand my ground.
I'm not from FL but, I have watched enough of "The Dog Whisperer" to know that if you act superior and not afraid, the dog picks up on that.