pkg car driver pet peeves

Wow, Cement, that is horrid, but eerily familiar! It is all about production and pieces per hour. Quality is out the door. We drivers have to fix and solve all of the problems that land in our laps because of management ineptness. This coming from a former part-time preload supervisor from 86-95 who would never allow or be proud of that load. Whatever happened to those things called load quality audits??? I deal with the same crap and get a fleeting ear and then absolutely no follow-up!

Cementups

Box Monkey
The shame of the preload now is all the sups. When I was on Preload we were on a boxline. Two boxline loading some 120+ cars. there were 2-4 sups and we were wrapped everyday and everything was in order and there were no issues. Now there is a sup for every 3 loaders and the place is just a cluster :censored2:. their so called efficiency actually makes things worse especially with all these guys in a power struggle with each other.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Hello folks, just joined for the first time. I guess this is the place to air things out? Anyways, I am an Indiana UPS driver. IN regards to pet peeves, I always liked "what did I order?"...oh yeah, I remember now". I guess a VERY important delivery! :wink: One other one that REALLY bothers me is when a customer comes up to the truck while you are sorting and you are unaware that they are out there waiting for you. I think that is rude. The polite thing to do is to announce their presence so you aren't startled when you hop out of the truck. That really, really bothers me.
or just wait in the friend'n house!

with all these guys in a power struggle with each other.
i can see that...

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I think one of the most irritating situations are when resident managers won't sign or allow you to leave pkgs in the office. I always ask, does'nt it upset the tenants that they can't have their package left in a secure area? Some managers just won't provide this service.......crazy!!
l

govols019

You smell that?
I hate the crappy new stylus. I keep breaking them. Never had that problem with the old red ones.

Dogs, be the young, old, big or small.

People who have stuff addressed to their house but ask if you'll take it down to thier shop/barn/mothers house etc.

People who order stuff COD but don't have the money ready when you get there and ask if you can come back later. I always say if by later you mean tomorrow then sure thing.

Schools....just in general.

That one stop that's ten miles one way with nothing you can run on the way there or back.

Having a tight air day and just as you think you might make it it is then that your body decides it has to go to the bathroom right NOW!!

Killing yourself to make an NDA and when you go back to the place two weeks later the box is still sitting where you left it.

People who say, "I wish I made your money".

$500,000 homes with no numbers on the mailbox.

Roads where the odds and evens jump sides.

Roads where the numbers go up, then down, and then back up.

Bridges being out.

6 houses sharing the same driveway but no way of knowing which house is the number you're looking for.

Dirt roads.

Snow.

satellitedriver

I like how I will be delivering around 6:00pm in the winter and people say, "Working late tonight?", but when it's 6pm in the summer and I'm sweating my balls off, they think nothing of it while they are playing with their kids while I'm still hard at work.

When they ask me if it's ticking, I just look at them with the most serious of looks and say, "Package bombs don't tick Ma'am/Sir.."

I will be delivering a package that now resembles an accordion and they asked me what happened. ot kind of ease the tension I tell them I had some trouble reaching the top shelf and needed a boost. I do this with visuals of myself stepping on package. The part that makes it funny to me is that I'm 6'2" and have absolutely no problem reaching the top shelf in my tiniest of package cars.

When they ask me "What is it?" I pull my head down in a sad manner and pronounce my disgust that I am no longer allowed to open packages anymore unless they have my name on it.

My preload pet peeveisa load like this. notice all teh empty space but yet they felt the need to jam everything up to the front of the truck.
K790a062.jpg

and loads like this by a guy that has been loading trucks for close to 15 years:
Phonepics114.jpg

Phonepics115.jpg

Phonepics116.jpg

I take pics of my load when it's bad becuase the Sups tend to not believe you when you tell them how bad it is. So in turn they get 8"x11" prints of my load so they KNOW how bad it really is.
JEEZ!
Is that the only amount of pkg's you have to deliver?
Give me that load any day of the week.

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
I hate the crappy new stylus. I keep breaking them. Never had that problem with the old red ones.

Dogs, be the young, old, big or small.

People who have stuff addressed to their house but ask if you'll take it down to thier shop/barn/mothers house etc.

People who order stuff COD but don't have the money ready when you get there and ask if you can come back later. I always say if by later you mean tomorrow then sure thing.

Schools....just in general.

That one stop that's ten miles one way with nothing you can run on the way there or back.

Having a tight air day and just as you think you might make it it is then that your body decides it has to go to the bathroom right NOW!!

Killing yourself to make an NDA and when you go back to the place two weeks later the box is still sitting where you left it.

People who say, "I wish I made your money".

$500,000 homes with no numbers on the mailbox.

Roads where the odds and evens jump sides.

Roads where the numbers go up, then down, and then back up.

Bridges being out.

6 houses sharing the same driveway but no way of knowing which house is the number you're looking for.

Dirt roads.

Snow.

:thumbup1:......Totally agree with you on all points

How about people that have no idea who their neighbors are? I mean in the suburbs, it's amazing how many people have no idea who lives 20 feet from them.....:bored:

Sad, but oh so true.......

Another thing that I find annoying is people call for a pickup because they think they have a UPS ASD, then you show up only to find out that it's a USPS label........Then they expect you to take it anyway.

Overpaid Union Thug

I was talking with some drivers one nght during peak and we were thinking about writing down all the addresses we delivered to that didn't have numbers on their mailboxes. After peak we were going to all go out and buy baseball bats and go take care of each and every one of them on the list. Another driver wanted to buy spray paint and spray the numbers on for them.

A

Another Driver

Did you loader get any better? I can't believe a supervisor wouldn't be on him for that bad load unless the loader has three more trucks to load all with 400 pieces each. What did you tip him this Christmas?

ncamara

Did you loader get any better? I can't believe a supervisor wouldn't be on him for that bad load unless the loader has three more trucks to load all with 400 pieces each. What did you tip him this Christmas?
Why would it matter how much he was tipped? He should do a good job whether he got a tip or not.

jlphotog

Not so much a pet peeve but this really pissed me off.

Two weeks ago a customer that I deliver to 3-4 times a week, decided they wanted to change to UPS for their shipping. The first time I picked up from them I had to place child stickers on 18 boxes and the corresponding stickers on the waybills. I decided right then and there I was going to get them on the shipping program. I also figured I might as well make a little bit of money on this as well, so I turned in my first ever sales lead. The sales person called them the next day. When he inquired what they ship he told them we can't do business with them anymore. They are a cigar wholesaler and apparently UPS has a policy against carrying tobacco products. (Even my sup and center manager didn't know about that.) I still delivery there but I can't pick up from them anymore. Funny how I can deliver tobacco but I can't pick it up.

Cementups

Box Monkey
That's bull. I deliver cigars all the time. I have a few customers that get monthly deliveries and a few conveniences stores that do as well.

Sounds like your Sales rep dropped the ball.

canon

Not so much a pet peeve but this really pissed me off.

Two weeks ago a customer that I deliver to 3-4 times a week, decided they wanted to change to UPS for their shipping. The first time I picked up from them I had to place child stickers on 18 boxes and the corresponding stickers on the waybills. I decided right then and there I was going to get them on the shipping program. I also figured I might as well make a little bit of money on this as well, so I turned in my first ever sales lead. The sales person called them the next day. When he inquired what they ship he told them we can't do business with them anymore. They are a cigar wholesaler and apparently UPS has a policy against carrying tobacco products. (Even my sup and center manager didn't know about that.) I still delivery there but I can't pick up from them anymore. Funny how I can deliver tobacco but I can't pick it up.

That's bull. I deliver cigars all the time. I have a few customers that get monthly deliveries and a few conveniences stores that do as well.

Sounds like your Sales rep dropped the ball.
Not internationally. Tobacco products are a no go so I was told.

try the ups.com/tobacco maybe?

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey

The guy was deliver three similar areas and all three trucks looked like that. EVERYDAY! A loader that loads like that doesn't get tipped, sorry. Seems that everytime we get a competent loader they make him a PT sup or move him to a dumber position. they love to dumb-down people. This particular loader though, everytime you would ask him about why a package or certain stops were wrong he would always come back with, "It wasn't me." Even if he was the only guy around for 100 yards, some mystery loader found his way in to three seperate trucks jsut to misload a few packages......what a joke. Guy just can't apologiz for his mistake and move on. I hate :censored2:ers like that. And he would just laugh about it when you brought it up too.