Placed on satellite run?

jeepxj

I'm the lowest driver in my center just hit a year jan 1 (have been with company for 6).We have a driver that that is retireing april 1st, his route on the bid list says satellite beside it,it is a inside route right now, so i asked my sup. they are going to wait untill he leaves to do it.Nobody wants it so it will be placed to the lowest driver "me" it is an hour drive one way and i just bought a house that is 5 min. away from the center and i dont even make 20hr i really can't afford the commute.The satellite stuff is new to my center so no one really knows alot about it.If i was at top pay it really wouldnt be as bad still not great but not as bad.Is there anyway that i can get out of it?Can they force me to drive my vehicle,pay for gas? All responses are appreciated.

over9five

Staff member
Sucks, but an hour commute isn't really a lot. Maybe you'll have to do it for a while till you get some seniority.
What is their logic in making it a satellite route?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
They started pushing these all over the US three years ago. Buy a vehicle with exceptional gas mileage and bid off when you are able to. If you are lowest on the list it is probably yours unfortunately. Cover drivers can usually claim mileage, but not bids or assigned drivers.

Jeep, you're not gonna like this but this is the way it happens here.
If a Sat route is not bid, the lowest senior FT cover driver is stuck with it. This follows the "Sr. can, Jr. must" theory. Yep, it sux but it is what it is. The travel time, to and from, and transportation mode as well as costs are all on the employee's dime. Keep track of your miles and fuel for the commute for possible income tax purposes. I don't know for certain if you can get a deduction for that, but I think you can. If your center rebids routes periodically, you may be able to bid off next time if they hire another FT cover by then.

UPS doesn't care that you just bought a house, how much it will cost you to commute or that your "away from home time" will be close to 14 hours a day. They really don't care where you live as long as you make it to work on time. We have had a few Sat drivers relocate to where the Sat route is based out of, just to have the RT moved back to the original center within a year.

They started pushing these all over the US three years ago. Buy a vehicle with exceptional gas mileage and bid off when you are able to. If you are lowest on the list it is probably yours unfortunately. Cover drivers can usually claim mileage, but not bids or assigned drivers.
Here, if the sat rt is done by a cover driver for a day and the preload knows about it in time or for vacation they will load it out of the center so they don't have to pay mileage for the cover driver's commute.

jeepxj

thanks that what i thought. the only thing i can think is file aginst favoritism/discrmanation cause they are waiting till he leaves to do it whats the dif. between me and him,dont know if it will work but thats all i can think of.

thanks that what i thought. the only thing i can think is file aginst favoritism/discrmanation cause they are waiting till he leaves to do it whats the dif. between me and him,dont know if it will work but thats all i can think of.
Sorry, won't help...seen it tried. The one and only thing that might delay the move would be if the company has not submitted the contractual " moving of work" plan with the union. This won't stop it, but could delay. The timing of when to move the work is up to UPS with those restrictions.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Can't you claim miles on your taxes for reimbursement. If so that won't be terrible. I would take it, knowing that I would work everyday... JMO

UPSGUY72

Can't you claim miles on your taxes for reimbursement. If so that won't be terrible. I would take it, knowing that I would work everyday... JMO

He might be able to claim miles. It says you only can claim miles is job travel between jobs not between his house and his job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He will not be able to claim the mileage as he is simply driving from his house to his place of employment, which would be the satellite meet point. Yes, it sucks, but there is really no way around this.

Johney

Do the packages for the satellite rte come out of the building you work from? If so why can't you just ride out with that driver(like they do here).

Johney

I'm pretty sure the way it works here when a sat driver calls out they just send one(cover dr) out with the guy who brings the work to that group. Come on there has to be a plan if a sat. guy calls out right?
Edit: I'm quite sure he gets paid for the ride also.

The problem with riding out with the feed to the Sat is that the Sat driver (Jeep in this case) won't be finished when the feed driver has to head back to the center with out going pickup.
The same with a cover driver when Jeep is off for the day. The day offs and vacation time the truck is loaded in the center and leaves/returns there.

Johney

I know the guy that brings the volume out to our sat drivers also brings back their pick up volume. So whoever covers a sick day or day off they ride back with this driver.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Only if you are a cover driver you can ride out with feeder route. Not if you are the place driver. Your start time will be later. They will not pay you. Also, if there was an accident you would not be on the clock for insurance reasons they can't have you on vehicle. Just get your seniority and bid off in a couple years.

Johney

Only if you are a cover driver you can ride out with feeder route. Not if you are the place driver. Your start time will be later. They will not pay you. Also, if there was an accident you would not be on the clock for insurance reasons they can't have you on vehicle. Just get your seniority and bid off in a couple years.
By place driver do you mean a Bid driver?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
If he is forced to go to satellite he is placed. No one with seniority wants to go there. It is usually a bid and a place. Not if all senior persons don't want area.