is completed unless the operational change is dictated by emergency
conditions. The Union shall not unreasonably delay the scheduling or
completion of the requested meeting.

In all locations where the Employer implements �satellite� facilities, the
Employer shall meet with the affected Local Union(s) and discuss the issues
covered by this Article.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My understanding of the language is that a seniority driver cannot be forced to change the location he is domiciled out of.

If no one bids the sat route then the company would have to hire a new driver to run it.

If you have a bid route that is being transferred to a satellite, you have the option of following it there or bidding off of it and becoming an unassigned driver in your home center.

Johney

So they would most likely send the lowest senior driver out to do that route with the driver who brings the work load to the sat ctr right? But they can't make him/her report to that sat location everyday right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So they would most likely send the lowest senior driver out to do that route with the driver who brings the work load to the sat ctr right? But they can't make him/her report to that sat location everyday right?

Satellite routes are added to save costs. The company will find a location near the meet point where they can safely house the PC overnight and have minor service done. The packages and DIAD, with EDD, are brought to the meet point and either dropped (if in a TP-60) or transferred to the PC. Pickup pieces and DIAD are brought back to the meet point to be brought back to the center. The company is saving money on the miles and fuel that the PC would have driven if it had started the area from the center.

The driver for the sat route will report to the meet point in his private vehicle at his own expense. It would not make sense for him/her to ride back and forth with the driver who brings his work to him as that driver would normally be done later than the sat driver for the reasons stated above.

A sat route would be ideal for a driver who lives closer to the meet point than to the center. The level of supervision on a sat route is much less than on a route dispatched out of the center. The start time is usually later as you have to wait for the work to come to you. You also then have to load your PC, deliver the pkgs, and then go back to the meet point to drop your P/U pkgs and DIAD.

Would I want a sat route? No, as I live about 5 miles from my center and I live on my current area.

Satellite routes are added to save costs. The company will find a location near the meet point where they can safely house the PC overnight and have minor service done. The packages and DIAD, with EDD, are brought to the meet point and either dropped (if in a TP-60) or transferred to the PC. Pickup pieces and DIAD are brought back to the meet point to be brought back to the center. The company is saving money on the miles and fuel that the PC would have driven if it had started the area from the center.
The company (in theory) also saves money on drive time to and from on the Sat driver. Although he/she will usually get the same amount of time on the clock because the stop count will jump up by a couple of hours worth of work.

The driver for the sat route will report to the meet point in his private vehicle at his own expense. It would not make sense for him/her to ride back and forth with the driver who brings his work to him as that driver would normally be done later than the sat driver for the reasons stated above.

A sat route would be ideal for a driver who lives closer to the meet point than to the center. The level of supervision on a sat route is much less than on a route dispatched out of the center. The start time is usually later as you have to wait for the work to come to you. You also then have to load your PC, deliver the pkgs, and then go back to the meet point to drop your P/U pkgs and DIAD.

Of course, if the sat driver lived closer to the Sat meet point it's not all that bad except for later start and finish times. However Jeep said he just bought a house close to his current center, selling now could be a huge loss. Plus, no one should have to move unless they want to.

Would I want a sat route? No, as I live about 5 miles from my center and I live on my current area.

We all know the Sat center deal for SatelliteDriver has worked out well, because where he moved to is where he wanted to be. That's not the case with Jeep.

My understanding of the language is that a seniority driver cannot be forced to change the location he is domiciled out of.

If no one bids the sat route then the company would have to hire a new driver to run it.
This is how we originally did the Sat centers, but a few years later it changed to the "Sr. can, Jr. must". Exactly how and why it changed I was never able to get a straight answer for the company or the union.

If you have a bid route that is being transferred to a satellite, you have the option of following it there or bidding off of it and becoming an unassigned driver in your home center.
This is the way we do this here, but the bid driver that goes into the unassigned pool does not dove tail for the daily cover runs until the next bid time.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
How does a sat. rte work ?? If they bring the p/c out to driver,why not have driver start at center?? Does driver leave p/c at meet point & take his personal car home ?? Please explain the whole concept to us city people thanks!

How does a sat. rte work ?? If they bring the p/c out to driver,why not have driver start at center?? Does driver leave p/c at meet point & take his personal car home ?? Please explain the whole concept to us city people thanks!
Simplest answer...yes. Usually the feed driver has a route close to the sat rt and pulls a TP60 behind his loaded PC with deliveries for the Sat Driver to load into his PC that stays on area. The Sat Driver is responsible for getting to work just like the rest of us, on his own.

Dustyroads

We used to have three sat routes, now we have two. The two guys who have them like them, they live 70 miles from the center, near the drop points. They have a late start time, but they get an allowance for loading.

On the downside, we used to have three. A guy who had one retired, someone else bid the job...and then, within a year, they disolved that sat route, bringing the work back into our center. Unfortuantely for that driver, he had to bid back to the bottom bid job, which wasn't a good one.

Upstate is right on this one. You get no tax deduction for the commute. It's good if you live near your drop point. It really sucks if your satellite center is abolished.

The two guys who have them liked the deal of getting a bid route while only having barely more than a year seniority.

ol'browneye

I have been at our satelite location for 14 years now and love it! Of course I only live 5 minutes from work so it works out great for me.

Cove, I think there is a whole 'nother thread on how satelites work if you do a little searching.

bumped

It could be a blessing if you want to work everyday. If your at the bottom seniority wise, and none of the other drivers want to do the route you should be working everyday. Other people might want to take the layoff days and you'll work.

satellitedriver

We all know the Sat center deal for SatelliteDriver has worked out well, because where he moved to is where he wanted to be. That's not the case with Jeep.

Worked out well, is a relative term.
For the first 9 years I did over an hours commute to get to the center.
For the last 14 and1/2yrs as a Sat driver I now get home much later than when I ran this route from the center.
The only true benefit, to me, is that I work in the community that I live in.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Two points. First one is that here our start time cannot be made later than 9AM, except in cases of natural disaster etc. This includes the Sat Rt., but it also depends on the agreement put in place between your local and ups. This is worth pushing back on, we had to in order to hold them to it.

Second point is that no, while you probably can't qualify for a tax deduction based on your travels for ups, if there were some other reason that coincided with this daily trip that involved a different business (hauling newspapers for you local paper? transferring x-rays between a doctor and a lab?) or a business of your own that required this daily trip. it might subsidize or totally pay for the whole mileage issue until you can ditch that pig. Make it known in the small town that you are looking to car pool, or haul stuff (auto parts for a garage or dealership?)to the drop point and see what happens. It's your time and your vehicle.

NHDRVR

Sucks, but an hour commute isn't really a lot. Maybe you'll have to do it for a while till you get some seniority.
What is their logic in making it a satellite route?

They have been toying around with turning my route and the one next to me to satellite for a few years now. Wouldn't matter to me since I live in the town I deliver but that would have to stink for a guy to commute to an area that would have to start later since the work is shuttled out in a TP60...The pkg. car would be kept some where in town (secured) and would decrease wear and tear on the vehicle or so I was told...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My Hub put in three satellite routes last year and did away with them a week ago. I was in a meeting with the district automotive manager and a mechanic the other morning and they said they were grateful. They had a lot of problems with getting proper repairs done on the package cars involved. One of the satellite drivers was in this meeting too, and he wasn't thrilled. He lives in that area and his three mile commute has turned back into about fifty. Of course thats what it was before the satellite center was tried.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The reality of many satellite centers is that they dont save money or overall miles...they only shift those expenses around to a different part of the operation.

In typical UPS fashion, some high-level corporate genius from another time zone had a bright idea and wrote a memo. It was then mandated that "x" number of satellite centers would be implemented....without any regard towards whether or not it made sense to do so.

There are a number of hidden costs and consequences that result from using satellite centers, and these were never factored in to the original equation.

Our satellite centers lose money. Local management is well aware of this fact, but the genius who forced them on us is too far up the corporate food chain to have his bright idea overruled, so for the time being we are stuck with them.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I'm the feeder for my centers satellite center, and I too have thought to myself how this is profitable. However to answer a few questions, when there is a vacation the cover driver is told ahead of time and must report to the satellite location in their own vehicle. Only on sick calls which are last minute things can someone ride down with me. And as far as long hours, yes once in a blue moon they work long days, but for the most part these are all NO over time routes.

When the decision first came down that we were making satellite routes my route was the primary satellite due to my route having the most miles, but once they discovered that I had two bulk stops that would not fit in the pup, I went from being a satellite to being the feeder. This sucked for me because I too live in the town I deliver and thought my commute days were over. Besides that they were very clear about one thing, these routes were now remotes regardless of what any of us thought. Management was angered more then we were but like stated before this came from the top and that was just the way it was going to be.

iruhnman630

Your time, your gas, your expense.

For our one satellite route, it's 43 miles (from the building to the meet point) worth of time and gas that the cover driver is giving to UPS. Depending on the current cost of gas, the first 45 minutes or so of work is effectively unpaid, since that net pay goes into the gas tank.

iruhnman630

Last I heard, our sat route was a money loser regardless of where it originates. By making it a sat route, UPS saves by passing the costs of 90 minutes pay and roughly 90 miles worth of gas onto the driver.

But the bid driver loves it, because he lives out there and gets to roll out of bed at the crack of 9:15.