Plan on Working Till You Die

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I would gladly give up my pension for the right amount of raise let me take care of me. Just as I would love to opt out of social security right now. This isn't the right choice for everyone but I prefer to depend on myself and trust no one else.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You, of course, have fully researched this legislation. Interesting, since it was just announced this a/noon. You have an inside source?

No but I read the whole article and the last paragraph stated that there will be minimal impact to most pension plans. Your "the sky is falling" scenario is certainly premature.

bbsam

Staff member
dont question him dude, he helped al gore invent the internet.
Interesting thing is that Al Gore really did play a very important part in getting the internet up and going. But, of course once the spin masters get hold of it, it becomes something ridiculous.

I GOT ONE MORE

I would gladly give up my pension for the right amount of raise let me take care of me. Just as I would love to opt out of social security right now. This isn't the right choice for everyone but I prefer to depend on myself and trust no one else.

Spot on. The way the government is spending and printing money, its only a matter of time before Uncle Sam maxes out his credit card and inflation hits. Pension plans along with everything else will lose big bucks.

Leftinbuilding

No but I read the whole article and the last paragraph stated that there will be minimal impact to most pension plans. Your "the sky is falling" scenario is certainly premature.

One mans opinion. Why would our "leaders" pass such a law if they expected little benefit? To expect that major corporations would ignore such a money saver is to deny reality. I don't know what UPS will do and neither do you. But on the surface it is not comforting.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Interesting. Worst case for me is I won't be able to chrome out my side rails on my boat when I retire. As I said in another thread awhile back, I'm investing my money for my retirement, pension and SS are gravy. I'd suggest you guys do the same while you're still young. I still see plenty of people retire without pensions and they seem to do just fine. I'm not saying that what's going on is right but you can only control so much. Do yourself a favor and plan for the worst and hope for the best.