Planning on Moving

over9five

Staff member
Getting the house ready to put on the market. New carpet ordered, painting everything, got rid of the snowmobile.

Really hate to leave the Ponderosa, but upkeeping the land is getting hard as I become aged. I have to cut back brush every year, and the driveway is hard to maintain most of the year and more so in Winter.

Also I live a good hour from work, so cutting my commute in half would be awesome.

But I'd have.......neighbors....... Yuck, haven't had any of those in over 20 years.

So much crap you accumulate in your life. I want to throw 90% of it out. I'll add to this thread to get advice on what to do with the crap...

over9five

Staff member
Lol, seeing I already mentioned the snowmobile:

Haven't used it in maybe 6 or 7 years. It looked like crap but it ran fine, there was just never the time. The other day we used a come-along and winched it up into the pickup. My son was going to drop it at a junkyard after work. Well his boss saw it and wanted it, so it has a new home.

One less thing in the yard.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
We have moved twice in the past couple of years after living in the same house for 10+ years. When we moved in 2009 we threw away 30% of the stuff we had collected, much of it had been moved there from out previous home of 10 years. We donated another 30% of our accumulated belongings to the local children's hospital thrift store, then we moved the rest of stuff... twice.

Many of the accumulated belongings we kept during the first move were unwanted when we moved the second most recent time (2010.) I really thought we might want or need some of the things we had accumulated but it was my personal decision to move most of it. At this point in our lives I'd say that we didn't really want of need most of the things we kept. Next time we move I'd get rid of at least 30% more.

Your mileage may vary.

iowa boy

So much crap you accumulate in your life. I want to throw 90% of it out. I'll add to this thread to get advice on what to do with the crap...

Two things Over:

What you consider crap will usually mean something to your wife:surprised:; and in six months after you get rid of anything, you will find a use for it. Either that or it will be a chance to accumulate more new 'crap'.:happy-very:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Getting the house ready to put on the market. New carpet ordered, painting everything, got rid of the snowmobile.

Really hate to leave the Ponderosa, but upkeeping the land is getting hard as I become aged. I have to cut back brush every year, and the driveway is hard to maintain most of the year and more so in Winter.

Also I live a good hour from work, so cutting my commute in half would be awesome.

But I'd have.......neighbors....... Yuck, haven't had any of those in over 20 years.

Sell it on ebay or donate to Goodwill.

rod

Retired 22 years
The last time I moved we had a 3 day garage/yard sale and got rid of probably 75% of everything I had accumulated for 35 years. Of the 25% we moved to the new house 7 years ago (that we thought we couldn't live without) I still have about 15 large boxes of crap in the basement that have never been unpacked. Anything that didn't sell at the yard sale I put out by the highway with a "free" sign and it all was claimed. Neighbors can be really nice to have "if" you get along with each other and respect their privacy. I'm lucky enough to have enough property (5 acres of wooded land) that I can still piss on a bush outside and not have to worry about Maude next door seeing me and calling the cops. All I have to worry about is my wife yelling at me to grow up. You think she would have given up by now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is not really an option where Over lives but where I live all you have to do is put your unwanted stuff out by the street and within a half hour or so it will be gone. There are a couple of older gentlemen with a pickup who drive around the city looking for anything left out by the street.

I hate moving.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I hate moving, too. I live 30 minutes from work and am lucky enough to have a state-owned Wildlife Management Area across the street. No one will ever move in there. Can't see a neighbor on either side. I love it. I highly doubt I could ever live near someone, again.

As for your stuff, everyone's suggestions are good options. Hope you like you new home, Over.

over9five

Staff member
At this point in our lives I'd say that we didn't really want of need most of the things we kept. Next time we move I'd get rid of at least 30% more.
I want to get rid of a lot!

Two things Over:

What you consider crap will usually mean something to your wife:surprised:
Good point.

Sell it on ebay or donate to Goodwill.

Might work for some of it (remember, it's crap)

The last time I moved we had a 3 day garage/yard sale .....

Thought of that, but I live on such a quiet street no-one drives by.

This is not really an option where Over lives but where I live all you have to do is put your unwanted stuff out by the street and within a half hour or so it will be gone.

I've done that, takes more than half an hour here tho!

I highly doubt I could ever live near someone, again.

Hope you like you new home, Over.

Me too.

over9five

Staff member
We have one of those basketball hoops with the big base you fill with water. It's at the end of the driveway with a $20 sign. If no-one buys it by next week, I'll change it to "free".

over9five

Staff member
I have a camera my wife got me when we were fisrt going out. It's a Minolta SLR with a bunch of lenses. Haven't used it in years.
Should I Ebay it? Do people even use film cameras anymore? And it's probably 30 years old. Looks great....

klein

Für Meno :)
ovah, I'm just like you !
I have already thought about moving, and I think the best thing I could probably do that is hassle free is just get one of those 1-800 junk containers and fill it up.
I don't think I could be bothered with garage sales, etc.

But, you can place "give away free" ads in Craigslist or Kijiji.
You won't believe what sells - I just recently paid $10 for some old crappy and wet plywood, but needed it to make outside flooring for my wiener stand.(another stupid government regulation, now I need to put washable covering on it).

Place ads, and whatever is left, get a 1800 junk container !

over9five

Staff member
Place ads, and whatever is left, get a 1800 junk container !

Lol, funny you should mention that! I already got one of those big dumpster bags. I plan on putting our waterbed and other junk in it. It holds up to 3300 lbs, then you call for a pickup.

klein

waterbed ? I haven't seen one of them since the 80's ! LOL

Good you got that container..... that's what I'll need, too ! Even though most crap is sellable if you have the time and patience.

After 5 houses in 20 years ,not counting the condo I had when we started dating, my wife and I have a rule that if stuff in storage doesn`t get used in a year then it goes. After a while we actually remember that we owned something once before and actually don`t by another one down the road.

Instead of trying to get rid of your stuff,Over, rent a portable storage unit to move all of it. After it`s all in there you never know what might happen like , oh, an accidental fire? Maybe the batteries in something shorted out. And since it`s all covered by your homeowners insurance it should be covered. And then you have money to buy it all over again.

moreluck

golden ticket member
So, you are downsizing and moving closer to your job. Are you looking at house or condo? As far as neighbors go....you only have to get involved with them if you want to. Then again, you might have stand-offish neighbors who will ignore you.

Everytime we've moved we held big garage sales and it was still not getting rid of enough stuff. When we moved to CA. and had no basement.....after having basements in all of our homes......that was a major eye opener to seeing all the stuff we'd accumulated. I thought when we moved from Utah that I got rid of enough. When we moved into our CA. home there was a 2 car garage chock full of boxes with both cars parked in the drive.

We had to go through everything again with just 2 categories.......donate or trash !! There was no "keep" category!
Our last move here to CA. we moved ourselves. I'll never do that again.

klein

I have a camera my wife got me when we were fisrt going out. It's a Minolta SLR with a bunch of lenses. Haven't used it in years.
Should I Ebay it? Do people even use film cameras anymore? And it's probably 30 years old. Looks great....

I'm pretty sure that would sell. Remember Fether's "Kodak Moments" ?
It's a damn good camera, but don't expect more then $50 for it.

The lenses are worth more, since they can be used in digital cameras , too. You'ld get a really good price for them, probably more then you paid for back then.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

After 5 houses in 20 years ,not counting the condo I had when we started dating, my wife and I have a rule that if stuff in storage doesn`t get used in a year then it goes. After a while we actually remember that we owned something once before and actually don`t by another one down the road.

Instead of trying to get rid of your stuff,Over, rent a portable storage unit to move all of it. After it`s all in there you never know what might happen like , oh, an accidental fire? Maybe the batteries in something shorted out. And since it`s all covered by your homeowners insurance it should be covered. And then you have money to buy it all over again.

I am not sure but I don't think items in a storage unit would be covered on his homeowner's policy.

Maybe we'll see Over's stuff on an episode of "Storage Wars".

I am not sure but I don't think items in a storage unit would be covered on his homeowner's policy.

Maybe we'll see Over's stuff on an episode of "Storage Wars".

What I meant was one of those P.O.D.s rental containers they drop off in your driveway. I probably should have been more specific. After he filled it in preparation for moving something might accidentally happen.

On my personal policy items in storage were covered. At the new house I built a two story garage out back and moved everything there. It`s still covered as an outbuilding.