Planning on Moving

brownedout

Hot advice in the 401k thread is to move to a third world country, or New Jersey, for pennies on the dollar. You could always commute.
You can move (in)to New Jersey, but you'll never get out. Commute is an absolute nightmare no matter what time, what day, what road. You might be better off pedaling, or walking from the third world country. Another negative about the state, Governor Chris Christie. I'm constantly reminded of something I read about then second round draft pick, Defensive End Leonard Marshall (LSU) in 1982. (He's) big, fat, dumb and ugly. New Jersey and you perfect together, where have you gone Tom Kean?

over9five

Staff member
Heaven! No neighbors!

I know.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
but........................................................................................................................................................................................
I used to live in a place with neighbors...................................................................................................................................................................................
I got along with people back then.....................................................................................................................................................................................................
I can do it again....................................................................................................................................................................................................

I understand now.

over9five

Staff member
Holy Mackerel, we already had a showing. Couldn't believe it when some realtor called me today. Nobody was home, so I have no idea what they thought of the place.

over9five

Staff member
Had my Title 5 septic inspection the other day. It's a very scary Peoples Republic of Massachusetts thing. They come and drain your tank, inspect it, dig up your d box, inspect it, come into your house and inspect the drains.

It costs $700 if everythings alright.

It could cost $15,000 if everythings not alright.

Mine seemed to be alright.

over9five

Staff member
A prospective buyer had a home inspection done on my house. Check out this issue:

Over 20 years ago, when we built the house we were young and were running out of money. We cut some things we couldn't afford, like the garage under. Thinking ahead, I still had the builder leave a foundation opening for a future garage door, and we simply boarded up the opening.
Couple years later, I opened it up and installed a garage door.
BUTTTTTTT according to code, a garage under must have firewalls. Oops! I never installed any walls. The garage door just opened into the whole basement.

I'm thinking my cheapest option is to re-boardup the opening. After it passes inspection, the new owner can do what he pleases.

evilleace

A prospective buyer had a home inspection done on my house. Check out this issue:

Over 20 years ago, when we built the house we were young and were running out of money. We cut some things we couldn't afford, like the garage under. Thinking ahead, I still had the builder leave a foundation opening for a future garage door, and we simply boarded up the opening.
Couple years later, I opened it up and installed a garage door.
BUTTTTTTT according to code, a garage under must have firewalls. Oops! I never installed any walls. The garage door just opened into the whole basement.

I'm thinking my cheapest option is to re-boardup the opening. After it passes inspection, the new owner can do what he pleases.

That is the cheapest option but since it has been inspected and the problem found if the same buyer still wants to buy you have to use the same inspector for the re-inspection not sure if he will approve of this. I am really not trying to be a burden of bad news just giving you a heads up, good luck on selling it.

over9five

Staff member
That is the cheapest option but since it has been inspected and the problem found if the same buyer still wants to buy you have to use the same inspector for the re-inspection not sure if he will approve of this. I am really not trying to be a burden of bad news just giving you a heads up, good luck on selling it.

Luckily, it has not been officially inspected yet. The issue was brought up by the private home inspector the buyer hired.

I think I can board it up and say the overhead door is there for future use when a firewall is installed.

At least that's the plan.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Luckily, it has not been officially inspected yet. The issue was brought up by the private home inspector the buyer hired.

I think I can board it up and say the overhead door is there for future use when a firewall is installed.

At least that's the plan.....

Over, before you do this, maybe you could explain the situation to your realtor and have him/her call the potential buyer's realtor to see what they would like to have done. It may be that he is handy and would like to do the work himself. The buyer can purchase the home with this known "deficiency" as long as it is fully disclosed and both parties sign off on it; however, the buyer may ask for a seller concession in return.