Plant Engineering (Maintenance) Issues

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Integrity, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

For discussion,

It was reported to me that there have been a lot of complaints about the Plant Engineering Department's inability or unwillingness to adequately heat the buildings. This is not a new topic. It has been addressed and discussed multiple times here at the BC.

Along with that report came a new one to me and I thought it worthy of discussion here on the BC.

Someone reported to me that certain areas of their building haven't been cleaned in months. Apparently, in his building the unload primary and sort area hasn't been cleaned in months. He described the area as being loaded with all kinds of trash large and small. He also described the area under the sort as being loaded with spit, spills and sunflower seed shells for months.

He claimed that he and his other workers were working in what amounts to squalor when they have to process ireggs.

UPS has pretty high written standard for the cleanliness of their facilities. It appears to me that based on this persons description, the standards are far from being met.

What is your experience and opinion about the cleanliness of the inside work environment?

Sincerely,
    I

2. laffter

laffter Active Member

As for cleanliness... we have janitorial employees who clean up trash in the open areas of the building, and clean the offices. Other than that, I'm sure there's decades old dirt all over the place. We also have sups who spit chewing tobacco through the grating. Ain't no one got time to clean under there.

When employees use the toilets, the bathroom smells like poo. Something needs to be done about that.

3. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

It all points to "class action" !!!!

4. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

laffter,

I disagree with your proposal. I think it would be highly inappropriate.

In my region they are called porters, not janitors and they are union members.

I do believe every area of the building is supposed to be cleaned. Anyone know more about this?

As for the toilets I have seen some bathrooms with cans of air deodorizer in the stalls to keep the smell down.

Sincerely,
    I

5. bill blutnach

bill blutnach Member

when we not like the cleaning of the station we clean instead. The feathers you half would make good dusters yes?

6. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Whatever happened to any personal responsibility. Clean up your own messes. Ask yourself....would I do this I my own home ??

7. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

bill blutnach,

You clean the facility yourself?

Sincerely,
    I

8. bill blutnach

bill blutnach Member

the cleaner does not have to work in the building they clean. If I do not like their work I clean to my liking.

9. upscat

upscat Member

there would be no need for a crime fighter in yellow tights if personal responsibility was applied....:)

10. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Repost.:ban:

Didn't you start this same thread last year?

11. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

bill blutnach,

This is not a practical nor a reasonable solution.

Sincerely,
    I

12. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

upscat,

Please explain how personal responsibility can be applied to this situation.

I'm not sure I follow.

Sincerely,
    I

13. rod

rod retired and happy

I think in the BOG everything is spit shined and dress right dressed.

14. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

cosmo1,

I know I have probably touched on Plant Engineering topics before but this specific situation was only brought to my attention today.

Sincerely,
    I

15. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

rod,

?

Sincerely,
    I

16. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

17. rod

rod retired and happy

what are you questioning?

18. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

19. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

rod,

The meaning of your post that I quoted previously.

Sincerely,
    I

20. upscat

upscat Member

I'm sorry I dont understand what it is you do not understand?