plantar fasciitis

Camping Nana

Just a quick note... I feel for all of you with this pain.

However, UPS insurance did pay for custom made orthotics for me several years ago. We are in the Western Conference - don't know if our insurance is different from the rest of the country.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
Soberups do you have Aetna insurance? My wife has been telling me for long time now to get custom insoles made because i walk on the outside of my feet. I had plantar fascitis problems and the cortozone shots (hurt like hell) worked really well, along with those crazy socks to sleep in. I really didnt think that insurance would cover this. I will try to contact them monday.

If you can get custom orthotics covered by insurance, it is a no brainer. I paid for them and did the stretching exercises. My Dr. told me to wear New Balance shoes, not workboots. It took a while to get better but it gradually improved one I got the orhtotics. Your case sounds worse than mine. I hope you can take care of this without surgery.

I too have been suffering with this problem and now it has turned into achilles tendonitis. I have custom made orthos which help and I wear a night splint to stretch the tendon at night. I have 4 spurs, 2 in each foot. I do stretching exercises every morning and every once in awhile if it flairs up really bad my doctor will send me to therapy and give me a cortizone shot. He said he will only do surgery as a last resort, but everything else seems to work. It is awful to deal with this kind of pain day in and out. Good luck with your treatments.

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
Usually when I get out of bed I can barely walk! I spend 10-15 minutes in the shower every morning stretching them suckers out after that I'm usually fine.

bears2

i have already posted on how to relieve plantar pain and to be honest the tape of the foot is almost like a cast.it gives support an the pain will be 99%-100% gone if you tape it even 75% correctly.the thing is with taping is after a week or so you should be alot better without the tape but i walk so much at ups that it didnt feel much better without tape.losin weight helps more than anything.
another thing.if you have kids and you or your kids wear flip flops/sandals then your in store for plantar fasiitis. just dont wear them too much.

fethrs

Plantar fasciitis anyone? I have reluctantly joined the ranks of upsers who have this. I got the cortisone shot today (not as big a deal as some make it) and have the foot taped up. Will start physical therapy too and get some good shoes.

Since I spend my time inside all day on metal grates and hard cement I would like to know if anyone has some reccomendations/suggestions for good footwear.

fethrs

I've read the past posts about the orthos and the insurance, does anyone know if insurance will cover the shoes if they have a "prescription" from the Dr.
I have heard that New Balance shoes may be covered but I can't find an answer from anyone at work.

P

pickup

Plantar fasciitis anyone? I have reluctantly joined the ranks of upsers who have this. I got the cortisone shot today (not as big a deal as some make it) and have the foot taped up. Will start physical therapy too and get some good shoes.

Since I spend my time inside all day on metal grates and hard cement I would like to know if anyone has some reccomendations/suggestions for good footwear.

Whatever you do get, stick those doctor scholl's gel pads in there, always cushions the shock

No such person

Southern Ct.
I had a roomate who was a carpenter and huge problems with foot pain, diagnosed as plantar fasciitis, and after trying everything else he tried acupuncture and it worked. I should add that I'm a big time skeptic of alternative medicine, but this was one of my best friends and I know what he went through and what he tried.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've read the past posts about the orthos and the insurance, does anyone know if insurance will cover the shoes if they have a "prescription" from the Dr.
I have heard that New Balance shoes may be covered but I can't find an answer from anyone at work.
Here's a link to a footwear store for active people. http://www.fleetfeetsports.com/ They specialize in custom fitting shoes to the individual. If they don't have a store near you, I'm sure there are other stores that come close. I'm totally a skeptic about alternative meds and regular meds, as well. Most people don't realize that off the rack shoes may not be designed for their individual feet. I recommend a good shoe store that will really try to help you out.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Fethr, I have NB w/ orthotic inserts. I am not sure of the insurance coverage but I used them as a tax deduction. Related work expenses. BTW I love my NB's!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Fethr, I have NB w/ orthotic inserts. I am not sure of the insurance coverage but I used them as a tax deduction. Related work expenses. BTW I love my NB's!
I have been wearing NB since the early 80's ... I wear 11 EEEE's and NB was the only shoe that I could find that really fit.
I have had plantar fasciitis since the mid-80's and I wear extra arch support to mitigate the pain.
You learn to deal with the pain after awhile and to stretch the calf muscles and feet while still in bed before taking that first step in the morning.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I have been wearing NB since the early 80's ... I wear 11 EEEE's and NB was the only shoe that I could find that really fit.
I have had plantar fasciitis since the mid-80's and I wear extra arch support to mitigate the pain.
You learn to deal with the pain after awhile and to stretch the calf muscles and feet while still in bed before taking that first step in the morning.
Good grief, Hoax, you have feet like a caveman.:happy2: