Playing Hot Potato with Ground Packages

R

RuralRoute

Express guys, we all know the deal with customer confusion and Ground packages. Everything from the common package left in our Dropbox, to the puppy-dog-eyed receptionist at an On-Call stop saying "can you take this, pretty please?" We've seen it all.

One of my routes has a FASC (FedEx Authorized ShipCenter) pickup that is one of those little mail depots that take FedEx, UPS and USPS packages for customers who don't wish to use dropboxes or come by stations. Recently, I have been taking any Ground pkgs that I pick up during the day there, because these stores actually get a percentage of the revenue for packages dropped off. It's a little idea I had one day, and just started doing it since. The lady that runs the store liked the thought, and even gives me Cokes or candy bars when I bring her "The Stuff."

So, how many of yall do this same thing? I know I'm not the first to come up with this, but others I work with said they haven't thought of it. I've never asked management about it so I dont know the "rule" if there is one. Of course, I don't take USPS stuff there because that can get a little touchy messing with mail, and all my dropboxes are next to postal boxes, so I just drop them in. To me, taking stuff to the FASC is better than hauling it to the Caretaker at the end of the day to throw into the big pile of Ground at the station. Work smart not hard right?

It will be fine

Don't touch them. You're helping the ship center but likely taking money from the Ground driver. We get paid a lot more for the stop to go pick it up ourselves then we'd get for just another piece at the ship center. It costs us money and saves FedEx some when you do this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why are you even bothering to do this? Just do your "stuff."

I do this as well. I bring FedEx packages to our local MBE. Why penalize customers because they can't read?

Don't touch them. You're helping the ship center but likely taking money from the Ground driver. We get paid a lot more for the stop to go pick it up ourselves then we'd get for just another piece at the ship center. It costs us money and saves FedEx some when you do this.

Eventually?

I have one pickup stop where I often see Ground pickups sitting for days on end. I jokingly "dust off" the packages and let the customer know that it would have been picked up on the first day had they gone with us.

STFXG

You really care about the buck? One less hassle in my eyes.

It will be fine

You really care about the buck? One less hassle in my eyes.
The difference is closer to $3 for me. So yes I care about that. If customers get accustomed to the express guy taking our stuff they'll never actually schedule a pickup. A handful of stops like that on every route every week adds up.

robdabanks

I have 3 different express guys give me ground packages when I see them on my route. I guess it all depends on where your at and who you are that guys look out for each other.

I don't agree with ground packages sitting for days, if it's on the pu list and you don't pick it up you almost work a half day for free

STFXG

Maybe they are up to something. They just put a software upgrade so we can now scan ground packages.
Can they scan smartpost? Our latest update allows us to scan the USPS barcode on smartpost packages. Ground is attempting to divert volume similar to what UPS does with its sure post.

hypo hanna

Stop taking ground packages! Ground drivers stop taking express packages!
Idiots! You are taking possession yet there is no way to track where that package actually is! When I Was dispatching we had constant complaints from customers saying I saw that driver pickup that box and now there are no scans on you website!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Actually, I DO encourage you to touch them, and I've changed my mind on this one. Let me explain. When an Express courier picks up Ground packages, you're not only taking revenue from the contractor, but you are helping prove that Ground is an integral part of Express and vice versa. In other words, the more the two are connected, the less Fred can say that Ground is run by "independent businesspeople".

hypohanna. You just answered your own question. When the two opcos take each other packages, it screws up all of the tracking and costs Fred money. It's high time we start playing games with Fred the way he plays with us. Eff him at his own game.

SmithBarney

Actually, I DO encourage you to touch them, and I've changed my mind on this one. Let me explain. When an Express courier picks up Ground packages, you're not only taking revenue from the contractor, but you are helping prove that Ground is an integral part of Express and vice versa. In other words, the more the two are connected, the less Fred can say that Ground is run by "independent businesspeople".

hypohanna. You just answered your own question. When the two opcos take each other packages, it screws up all of the tracking and costs Fred money. It's high time we start playing games with Fred the way he plays with us. Eff him at his own game.

And when you start handling ground, you lose the RLA exemption...since you are no longer just "an airline"

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Lmfao. I thought ups was friend'd up. No that's an express pkg, no that's a ground pkg, lmfao. If I was a business owner, and a fed ex guy refused to take my fed ex pkg , that would be last day any of you yahoos were permitted on my property.

SmithBarney

Lmfao. I thought ups was friend'd up. No that's an express pkg, no that's a ground pkg, lmfao. If I was a business owner, and a fed ex guy refused to take my fed ex pkg , that would be last day any of you yahoos were permitted on my property.

Actually Express has been instructed NOT to take Ground Packages unfortunately with the threat of discipline (that's how it works at express) It's dumb as hell, but WAD and educate the customers.

altroy707

Rural route, I'm a ground guy and can't stand when express people take ground packages from a stop. Here I am with a pick up list telling me to go to that location to pick up a package only to be told that the express person picked it up. Now I wasted my time AND didn't get paid for picking it up. That's how we get paid.