Playing Hot Potato with Ground Packages

El Morado Diablo

I wish we didn't have to deal with FASC's. In our area they've always been a pain in the ass to deal with. The employees rarely understand our services, they don't provide their customers with good service and they often blame us for their mistakes. I steer as much business as I can away from them to our local FedEx Office location. The only thing I've ever dropped off at one of their locations are those USPS return packages that people put in our drop boxes.

R

RuralRoute

UPDATE:

I have been instructed by management to NOT accept Ground pkgs UNLESS they are left in the Express dropbox. In that case, I am instructed to bring the pkgs to the station for the Ground guy to pick up next business day. With the software update, I scan them under Exceptions> Ground Pickup and then print the label indicating pickup, sign the Courier Signature line on the label, affix it to pkg, and notify Dispatch of the pickup. No more Coke or candy bar kickbacks for this guy. WAD.

R

RuralRoute

Rural route, I'm a ground guy and can't stand when express people take ground packages from a stop. Here I am with a pick up list telling me to go to that location to pick up a package only to be told that the express person picked it up. Now I wasted my time AND didn't get paid for picking it up. That's how we get paid.

Exactly. Anytime I arrive at a pickup stop and they ask me to take Ground, or I see it sitting there, I ask them "Have you scheduled a pickup with FedEx Ground? If so, the driver will come by to get this today or next business day. If not, please visit the FedEx website or call the 800 number to schedule a pickup."
It irritates me when I arrive at On-Call stops that have no pkg or had a pkg that was picked up earlier but the previous driver failed to report the pickup. The time wasted trying to make the cutoff time for that stop could have been used to complete other deliveries or Regular pickups, so I know how it feels and wouldn't want another driver to experience the same.

overflowed

Rural route, I'm a ground guy and can't stand when express people take ground packages from a stop. Here I am with a pick up list telling me to go to that location to pick up a package only to be told that the express person picked it up. Now I wasted my time AND didn't get paid for picking it up. That's how we get paid.
The times I take any ground is when they've asked me 5 times in two weeks to take it and I feel like an :censored2: because you guys won't pup it.

fedex_rtd

The difference is closer to $3 for me. So yes I care about that. If customers get accustomed to the express guy taking our stuff they'll never actually schedule a pickup. A handful of stops like that on every route every week adds up.
If I were still a DGO driver I would take them just to hose a Ground "contractor" over.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
ah yes indeed, it's threads like this that continue to remind me why I left DGO and went to the (slightly) more serene pastures of AGFS. I would've pulled all my hair out by now if I'd had to deal with that :censored2:!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You know, Fred & Co. started all this confusion with Ground vs. Express and vice-versa. It's time THEY figure something out. Should have just kept the old RPS name.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You know, Fred & Co. started all this confusion with Ground vs. Express and vice-versa. It's time THEY figure something out. Should have just kept the old RPS name.

We need to do everything possible to mess up Fred's RLA and Ground scams. Accept as many Ground packages as possible and keep track of when and where.

Purplepackage

With the new update you scan a ground package as an exception but before that how did they even keep track of the packages?

Every once in awhile I'll get an on call and it will be a ground package, I just pup it as no package and if Im feeling nice I'll take the box back to the station and throw it in the pile. But here's the kicker, ground picks up from our station once a week on Friday, so basically the people print label and then they just have no proof of where the package sometimes for a wholen week. Now that's a good system

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
With the new update you scan a ground package as an exception but before that how did they even keep track of the packages?

Every once in awhile I'll get an on call and it will be a ground package, I just pup it as no package and if Im feeling nice I'll take the box back to the station and throw it in the pile. But here's the kicker, ground picks up from our station once a week on Friday, so basically the people print label and then they just have no proof of where the package sometimes for a wholen week. Now that's a good system

Once a week??? That's crazy. How can Ground make any kind of guarantees on those. At my station, we get a sweep then a final pickup every day.

Purplepackage

Once a week??? That's crazy. How can Ground make any kind of guarantees on those. At my station, we get a sweep then a final pickup every day.

I honestly have no idea, the pile just grows all week since people drop stuff off at the office for ground, the straight truck comes around 4 every Friday and you don't see them any other time all week. (Of course for all I know they are supposed to come other days but just don't show up)

Sparky

With the new ground labels a couple of couriers take them and relabel them to express saver packages. Customers haven't complained but I'm sure the ground guys would hate that.

soc151

With the new ground labels a couple of couriers take them and relabel them to express saver packages. Customers haven't complained but I'm sure the ground guys would hate that.

Why would you want to slow down their service and charge the customers more?

Slick silver

Actually some express saver packages will show up next day at the stations. It's just up to the courier if he wants to take it out. Most likely not but if it's a stop he or she is going to already sometimes they will just throw it in.

bbsam

Staff member
Actually I could see that ending in a lawsuit down the road.